Re: RealAudio to WAV

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2004
      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, woody_woodward
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Thomas, when using the Winamp diskwriter it simply decodes the
      input file.
      > It does not 'play' it. Conversions are nearly, but not quite, as
      fast as
      > the StreamBox Ripper. On the up-side the Tara plugin is current.
      It is
      > supported. It is a small download. It is free and legal. The
      legality
      > of the Ripper is questionable. The Tara plugin has one distinct
      advantage
      > over the Ripper. Specifically, it can capture RealAudio streams.
      I have
      > both Tara and StreamBox. I use both. My advice to people is to
      use
      > whatever works. In this regard it should be noted that the
      StreamBox is
      > not compatible with the current version of RealPlayer.
      >
      > Woody

      I am not sure I understand this because the nutty real audio people
      are going anal about people messing about with their codec.

      Could you post the add on? I am betting people would like to
      experiment with it. I would also like to give it a try.

      Thomas
    • woody_woodward
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2004
        Hi, Thomas!

        This is the URL for the Tara plugin:
        http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=22143
        It is a small (71K) download. Check out some of the user reviews. You'll
        find both pro and con. One interesting feature of this plugin is that it
        is "self-updating." It decodes by using the CODECs from whatever
        RealAudio player one has installed. As the good folks at Real Networks
        update their player, this plugin gets updated right along with it.

        I still recommend that people have both the Streambox Ripper and this
        plugin. There are advantages to each. Plus I'm greedy. So I have both.

        Woody