have advice on noise reduction?

  • mistercopacetic
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2004
      Hi all,

      Thanks for all the great advice that many of you offered when I had
      questions about recording NTR from the radio to my computer. I
      decided to use Wave Pad as someone suggested.

      Now I'd like to start encoding some OTR cassettes to mp3, but the
      tapes have a lot of hiss, and I'm wondering if it can be easily
      removed during the encoding process. Wave Pad (free version) doesn't
      include noise reduction.

      Can anyone recommend a free recorder/encoder which can remove hiss?
      My tapes are not archival, so I don't mind if I lose some frequencies.
      I'm not an audio engineer, and I've never done this before, so I need
      something simple and easy to use. Any advice would be appreciated.

      Carlo
      Tucson
    • woody_woodward
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
        Hi, Carlo!

        One program I can recommend is call Audacity.
        http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
        With it you can record from your soundcard's line input. Noise reduction
        is also available. The price (free) is right. Check it out.

        Woody

        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "mistercopacetic"