Re: [OTRMP3] Someone is infected...

  • Chris M.
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
      Oh great.. Didn't want to hear that... <ugh!>

      Chris

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
        At 09:35 AM 9/3/2004, you wrote:
        >Beware there are some real whoppers circulating. I setup XP 2 nights ago
        >on my modem equipped computer - that is - not broadband. Within the first
        >20 minutes while updating my AVG for the first time I caught the Sasser.
        >Had to go over to the local university to get the fix downloaded to a ZIP
        >disc and go home to fix my machine. Completed the SP1 updates and
        >yesterday caught a backdoor trojan. Understand I have not opened any
        >e-mails (only using the webmail interface with my ISP) and normally use
        >Eudora which does not seem to gather viruses like Outlook, I use AVG,
        >Spybot, and Adware - address book is at a different location and the
        >viruses don't hunt for it as I understand.

        I just set up a new 3.4 gig P4 machine the other day. BEFORE it was
        connected to my cable modem I installed Zonealarm Pro then installed Norton
        Antivirus plus installed the manually downloaded AV sigs file (it's a
        couple of megs) to be sure Norton was up to date. Result? I could download
        (& install) SP 2 without any infection problems. Oh & I have Adaware &
        Spybot on it too with no spyware present.

        >Oh yea - I just love the XP built-in firewall. Must be like a sponge -
        >soaks up trojans and lets anything through... <grin!>

        I'd rather use Zonealarm Pro! Much better than the XP firewall!!

        >My main point is that I don't think it is me and to remind everyone that
        >XP's security is a joke so far. Win98 ran for over a year without
        >collecting any viruses and no firewall. XP lasted 20 minutes.

        I've had Norton for several years. Before that it was Mcafee. Win 98 SE ran
        without a firewall (on dialup) for about 2 years before I started getting
        hacked. Started with Zonealarm Free then got the Pro version later. Been
        happy ever since!

        >If you've got XP do some serious learning and get your machine secured. I
        >would recommend anybody setting up XP to install Zone Alarm (or the
        >equivalent) BEFORE you dial up for the first time. Oh and Norton Antivirus
        >is a JOKE! It has failed to see viruses that went on to wreck 5 different
        >machines that I know of. FREE AVG caught them and so did www.antivirus.com
        >- the free online scan.

        keep Norton updated & it will catch every virus!