Re: Completely frustrated and begging for help

  • panelbuilder
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
      The software installer in Mandrake control center will take care
      of all the dependincy issues for you with a few possible rare
      execptions. If you get the Mandrake powerpack set you will have enough
      software so that you will probably never have to look anywhere for
      software again. Also you do not have to switch from windows cold
      turkey. Mandrake makes it really EASY to set your system up for dual
      boot so that at startup you will be asked what you want to run Windoze
      or linux. If you should decide to dual boot make shure that you
      defragment Windoze and shut down RIGHT AWAY when finished!!! Then
      restart with the Mandrake number 1 CD and the installer will walk you
      through the rest. If you should have problems feel free to drop me a
      email or join the mandrake newbie email list. You can QUICKLY get the
      answer to almost any linux question there.

      Hope that answers most of your questions
      Marc

      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "allanpqz" <afoster21@c...>
      wrote:
      > Mark,
      >
      > I'm just simi-geeky. I've tried Linux and like it, but have been
      > totally frustrated with installing or updating software. There are
      > almost always dependencies that I need to load first, and its hard
      > find the correct one, and on and on. Is Mandrake any better in that
      > regard? I'd gladly switch from Windows if it was.
      >
      > Allan
      >
      > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, panelbuilder
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > Most distros of linux are rather difficult for a newbie but
      Mandrake
      > > Linux with the KDE desktop are easy and friendly. A few months ago
      > > saw a 8 year old kid completly at home in ML after anly a few
      miniuts!
    • allanpqz
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
        Thanks Marc,

        I think I may try Mandrake, it sounds easier than Red Hat. I may get
        back to you with questions sometime.

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > The software installer in Mandrake control center will take
        care
        > of all the dependincy issues for you with a few possible rare
        > execptions. If you get the Mandrake powerpack set you will have
        enough
        > software so that you will probably never have to look anywhere for
        > software again.
      • panelbuilder
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
          Yep I have used both and Mandrake is much easyer than redhat and
          the KDE desktop that is the default installation in Mandrake should
          make most Windows users right at home.

          wrote:
          > Thanks Marc,
          >
          > I think I may try Mandrake, it sounds easier than Red Hat. I may
          get
          > back to you with questions sometime.
          >
          > Allan
        • A1Chef
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
            My wife wants to install "Red Hat" Linux on her machine.
            I have been considering Mandrake. A dual boot configuration,
            so I can still use my Windows programs (Corel & Photoshop).

            Question: Is there a way (perhaps a program) that would
            allow me to use these two programs within a Linux environment?
            I can not afford to buy Linux versions of the two programs,
            in fact I don't know if they even exist.

            Do we have a Linux guru in this group who can advise me?
            Any help would be appreciated.

            Chef

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
              Mandrake linux comes with a compatibility application called WINE
              that should allow you to run most windows programs in linux but it can
              be a pain to configure. See http://www.winehq.com/
              There is a way to install the entire Windows operating system inside
              of Linux and run ANY windoze application! It is called win4lin see
              http://www.netraverse.com/
              Windows programs seem to actually run much more stable in win4lin than
              in their native windows enviorment.
              Mandrake comes with open office & the gimp these 2 applications will
              do anything that you can do in Corel or photoshop. BTW at least 128 MB
              of ram is required to run the newest Mandrake 10.0 256 MB will make it
              really fast!!!! Linux makes heavy use of ram instead if making heavy
              use of the swap file the way windows doe's. That is one of the reasons
              that it is so stable.
              If you have any problems you can find LOTS of help on the Mandrake
              newbie email list http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/flists.php3

              I hope that is enough info to point you in the right direction.

              If you get into deep trouble feel free to email me.

              Marc

              --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "A1Chef" <a1chef@t...>
              wrote:
              > My wife wants to install "Red Hat" Linux on her machine.
              > I have been considering Mandrake. A dual boot configuration,
              > so I can still use my Windows programs (Corel & Photoshop).
              >
              > Question: Is there a way (perhaps a program) that would
              > allow me to use these two programs within a Linux environment?
              > I can not afford to buy Linux versions of the two programs,
              > in fact I don't know if they even exist.
              >
              > Do we have a Linux guru in this group who can advise me?
              > Any help would be appreciated.
              >
              > Chef

            • A1Chef
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                KEWEL!

                I'll now do some SERIOUS investigating of the Mandrake program.
                Thank you for the info.
                Chef

                wrote:
                > My wife wants to install "Red Hat" Linux on her machine.
                > I have been considering Mandrake. A dual boot configuration,
                > so I can still use my Windows programs (Corel & Photoshop).
                >
                > Question: Is there a way (perhaps a program) that would
                > allow me to use these two programs within a Linux environment?
                > I can not afford to buy Linux versions of the two programs,
                > in fact I don't know if they even exist.
                >
                > Do we have a Linux guru in this group who can advise me?
                > Any help would be appreciated.
                >
                > Chef

                If for some reason, you feel this group is not for you, you can easily
                unsubscribe from it by sending an email to:

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295vae6h/M=273541.4247506.5496806.4139299/
                D=groups/S=1705851308:HM/EXP=1088811856/A=2061551/R=0/SIG=11sr5b9n1/*htt
                p://launch.yahoo.com/artist/videos.asp?artistID=1001301>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=273541.4247506.5496806.4139299/D=group
                s/S=:HM/A=2061551/rand=701758466>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links