Re: [OTRMP3] Re: Hello, I'm new Attn:Erik

  • Bill Sistrunk
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2004
      My Rio Volt will properly resume inside any program whether it was stopped intentionally, after auto shutdown if left on pause too long or run out of juice on the battery. The iRiver line of CD/MP3 players also do this. There are others.

      The Rio Volt that I have been using for over two years now will also remember what the resume point is on the last ten disks that you run through it. I can listen to a few programs on one genre of program and pull the CD to listen to another type of program. Then replace the first disk and it will return to the point that I pulled it. It will remember this interrupted point for the last 10 disks.

      Bill Sistrunk
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
        The Rio Volt sounds really nice but isn't it like $200?

        Bill Sistrunk <OTR_Bill@...> wrote:
        My Rio Volt will properly resume inside any program whether it was stopped intentionally, after auto shutdown if left on pause too long or run out of juice on the battery. The iRiver line of CD/MP3 players also do this. There are others.

        The Rio Volt that I have been using for over two years now will also remember what the resume point is on the last ten disks that you run through it. I can listen to a few programs on one genre of program and pull the CD to listen to another type of program. Then replace the first disk and it will return to the point that I pulled it. It will remember this interrupted point for the last 10 disks.

        Bill Sistrunk

      • Merlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
          I have seen them on ebay for a lot less than that , in fact I paid about
          $30.00 for mine - a friend brought it over to the UK for me

          Alison

          From: "thomas mandeville"

          The Rio Volt sounds really nice but isn't it like $200?
        • Charles Bryant
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
            I've had a Volt for a while and love it for listening
            to CD's. I travel weekly with most trips being 3 plus
            hours each way. Like Bill said, the resume feature is
            great!

            --- thomas mandeville <mandevillet@...> wrote:
            > The Rio Volt sounds really nice but isn't it like
            > $200?
            >

            > Bill Sistrunk <OTR_Bill@...> wrote:
            > My Rio Volt will properly resume inside any program
            > whether it was stopped intentionally, after auto
            > shutdown if left on pause too long or run out of
            > juice on the battery. The iRiver line of CD/MP3
            > players also do this. There are others.
            >
            > The Rio Volt that I have been using for over two
            > years now will also remember what the resume point
            > is on the last ten disks that you run through it. I
            > can listen to a few programs on one genre of program
            > and pull the CD to listen to another type of
            > program. Then replace the first disk and it will
            > return to the point that I pulled it. It will
            > remember this interrupted point for the last 10
            > disks.
            >
            > Bill Sistrunk

            > removed]

          • A&W
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
              I believe the Apple iPod also resumes play. Plus, it holds THOUSANDS of
              shows.

              > I've had a Volt for a while and love it for listening
              > to CD's. I travel weekly with most trips being 3 plus
              > hours each way. Like Bill said, the resume feature is
              > great!
              >
              > --- thomas mandeville <mandevillet@...> wrote:
              > > The Rio Volt sounds really nice but isn't it like
              > > $200?
              > >

              > > Bill Sistrunk <OTR_Bill@...> wrote:
              > > My Rio Volt will properly resume inside any program
              > > whether it was stopped intentionally, after auto
              > > shutdown if left on pause too long or run out of
              > > juice on the battery. The iRiver line of CD/MP3
              > > players also do this. There are others.
              > >
              > > The Rio Volt that I have been using for over two
              > > years now will also remember what the resume point
              > > is on the last ten disks that you run through it. I
              > > can listen to a few programs on one genre of program
              > > and pull the CD to listen to another type of
              > > program. Then replace the first disk and it will
              > > return to the point that I pulled it. It will
              > > remember this interrupted point for the last 10
              > > disks.
              > >
              > > Bill Sistrunk

              > > removed]

              > But we'll miss you.
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • barryem
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2004
                <mandevillet@y...> wrote:
                > The Rio Volt sounds really nice but isn't it like $200?
                >

                > Bill Sistrunk <OTR_Bill@c...> wrote:
                > My Rio Volt will properly resume inside any program whether it was
                stopped intentionally, after auto shutdown if left on pause too long
                or run out of juice on the battery. The iRiver line of CD/MP3
                players also do this. There are others.

                > The Rio Volt that I have been using for over two years now will
                also remember what the resume point is on the last ten disks that you
                run through it. I can listen to a few programs on one genre of
                program and pull the CD to listen to another type of program. Then
                replace the first disk and it will return to the point that I pulled
                it. It will remember this interrupted point for the last 10 disks.

                > Bill Sistrunk

                I just bought an Iriver IMP-50 from Amazon for $39 minus a $10 rebate
                making the price $29. I think the rebate is gone now but the price
                is still good.

                Iriver made the Rio Volt, although they removed some of the features
                at the request of Sonic Blue. This player has all the features of
                the Volt and a lot more, with the exception of the backlight and the
                line-out and no remote.

                It's their budget model and it's very light and you load the CD from
                the bottom in a clumsy sort of way but that's a minor problem.

                It has resume and it works well. It also has bookmarks but they're a
                little clumsy. Not too bad. I'll use them sometimes. However the
                resume works just fine.

                It also has a study feature so you can press STOP at any time and go
                back 5 or 10 seconds, depending on how it's set. Nice.

                It also has a balance control in case anyone wanted to copy
                Brilliance 4 track tapes directly to MP3 and play them back that
                way. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that but you can if
                you want.

                For music fans if you tag your mp3 files with a genre you can set the
                player to go to various eq settings depending on the tag. Amazing
                that they'd think of this.

                The fast forward/rewind speed is controllable but only overall. But
                that's okay. It's not that hard to change.

                The battery level indicator is adjustable so you can set it for the
                kind of batteries you're using. This is a nice feature but not well
                implemented. Alkaline and NiMH have different top voltages and this
                lets you sort of compensate for that but since they discharge
                differently you can't compensate for that. And it's a sliding
                scale. You can't really know where to set it. A simple
                NiMH/Alkaline setting would be much nicer.

                The LCD contrast is adjustable. The screen is about the most
                readable I've seen on any player. It's not backlighted but I'll live
                with that for the low price.

                There's a visualization setting that lets you see a waveform or bars
                for the stereo channels or for us audiobook listeners, a bar chart
                showing progress through the track. This is a great feature.

                You can choose to see filenames or ID3 tags. But the choice of what
                you see on the tags isn't good. You can choose between album-title
                and album-title-artist. What's needed for audiobooks is track-title.
                Oh well.

                You can set it to show remaining time or time played. I prefer to see
                remaining time so I'm glad to see this feature.

                There are also sleep settings and power off settings and a couple of
                similar things I haven't really looked into. I never bother with
                these.

                The biggest surprise is the manual. It's many pages thick and all in
                English. Well, sort of English. Iriver is a Korean company. But,
                while some of the phrasing is a little comical it's never unclear.
                They've mastered Pidjin English.

                Barry
              • Bill Sistrunk