Aimee Semple McPherson

  • jconn0403
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2004
      I started searching for an old Pete Seeger song about Aimee
      and got this reply from S L Hinton over at the Sing Out! Magazine
      group. It was quite a story back in it's time and is still a GREAT
      song.
      I hope you all enjoy it!

      Thanks Again Sam....
      ++++++
      Aimee was last seen swimming at Ocean Beach (near Santa
      Monica) in 1926. She reappeared in northern Mexico a month
      later, and said she had walked for 13 hours after escaping from
      her kidnappers. The grand Jury called her in to learn more about
      the kidnappers, but found a number of inconsistencies in her
      story; her shoes showed no sing of her having walked for 13
      hours, and she was fully clad, although having been last seen in
      a bathing suit.
      The Grand Jury was headed by a preacher named Robert
      Shuler; he and another member of the Jury, Clifford Clinton, had
      been using the Jury as a means of cleaning up a very corrupt city
      -- Los Angeles. The preacher's name was Bob Shuler, and he
      was the father of a now well-known evangelist by the same
      name.
      The\ Grand Jury found out a lot of information, and had Aimee
      arrested for having tried to deceive them. The song was
      apparently written before the wealthy William Randolph Hearst
      convinced the Grand Jury that she should be pardoned, which
      she was, but she never regained her popularity with the press.
      She died of an overdose of barbiturates in 1944. So here are the
      words to the song, which was cast in the form of a popular song
      of that time--"Minnie the Moocher,"
      sung by Cab Callaway.
      *********************************
      AIMEE McPHERSON

      Have you heard the story of Aimee McPherson?
      Aimee McPherson, that wonderful person.
      She weighed a hundred-eighty and her hair was red
      And she preached a wicked sermon so the papers all said.
      CHORUS: Hi de hi de hi
      Ho de ho de ho.

      Aimee built herself a radio station
      To broadcast her preaching all over the nation.
      She found a man named Armstead* who knew enough
      To run the radio while Aimee did her stuff.
      CHORUS:

      The had a camp-meeting down at Ocean Park,
      Preached from early morning till after dark.
      Said the benediction and folded up the tent,
      And nobody knew where Aimee went.
      CHORUS:

      After twenty-nine days she returned from her journey,
      And told her story to the District Attorney.
      She said that she'd been kidnapped on a lonely trail,
      And in spite of a lot of questions, she stuck to her tale.
      CHORUS:

      So the Grand Jury started an investigation-
      Uncovered all sorts of juicy information.
      Found out about a love-nest up in Carmel-By-the-Sea,
      Where the liquor is expensive and the loving is free.
      CHORUS:

      They found a little cottage with a breakfast nook,
      And the folding bed had a worn-out look.
      The slats was busted and the springs was loose,
      And the dents in the mattress fitted Aimee's caboose.
      CHORUS:

      So they took poor Aimee and put her in jail;
      The last I heard, she was out on bail.
      They'll send her up for a stretch, I guess,
      'Cause she's worked herself into an awful mess.
      CHORUS:

      Now Radio Ray is a going hound;
      They looked for him, but he hasn't been found.
      They sent out his picture, but it came too late,
      Because since they took it he's gained a lot of weight.
      CHORUS:

      So I'll end my story in the usual way,
      About a lady preacher's holiday.
      If you don't get the moral then you're the gal for me,
      "Cause there's still a lot cottages up at Carmel-By-the-Sea!
      CHORUS:
      *His real name was Kenneth Ormiston, but the song calls him
      "Radio Ray"
      and
      "Armistead."