Re: [OTRMP3] Question about burning

  • Mark Harrop
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2003
      Hi Archie et al,

      This is the first time I had heard of the "somewhat accepted list of four letters". Is there a LIST of these somewhere ? I can't remember seeing them in any groups FILES area?

      Cheers!
      Mark

      mharrop@...

      `\|||/
      (@@)
      ooO_(_)_Ooo___________________________
      _____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

      Epping, Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA.
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2003
        Yudisky,
        No fallacy here, but there might be a good reason for
        someone doing it this or that way. However, could I
        suggest a program called renamer. With virtually one
        stroke you can eliminate whatever you want from all
        the files in a folder, so you could just take out OTR,
        or whatever. If you don't have the program and would
        like it let me know and I'll send it to you.
        I might add, Ernie Cosgrove produced a similar
        program, but I haven't really figured it out. The
        renamer program I have is quite simple to use.
        Vince

        --- A1Chef <a1chef@...> wrote:

        > I wish folks would eliminate OTR from their
        > descriptions.

      • A1Chef
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2003
          I know nothing about such programs.

          I just use the delete key.

          Hey--just saw your pix over at the Philsplace Yahoo neighborhood.
          You must be nuts for posting that! Yer gonna have women tearing
          down your door (Cajortle, cajortle).

          --- A1Chef <a1chef@...> wrote:

          > I wish folks would eliminate OTR from their
          > descriptions.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          851308:HM/A=1784493/R=0/id=noscript/SIG=11q7p9e7k/*http://webevents.yaho
          o.com/universal/intolerablecruelty/>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1784493/rand=134729112>

          If for some reason, you feel this group is not for you, you can easily
          unsubscribe from it by sending an email to:

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Vincente Tobias
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 2, 2003
            There's nothing simpler than using this renamer
            program and it takes care of all those pesky things
            you don't want in your file names. It is only about
            470 KB and I am going to try to send it to you via
            email.
            If you can wait til tomorrow I will gladly explain it
            to you. I have to go to bed tonight, but my last act
            before dropping off to lala land will be to send you
            the file (or try to).
            Yeah, how about that pic? LOL
            Vince

            --- A1Chef <a1chef@...> wrote: > I know
            nothing about such programs.

            > I just use the delete key.
            >
            > Hey--just saw your pix over at the Philsplace Yahoo
            > neighborhood.
            > You must be nuts for posting that! Yer gonna have
            > women tearing
            > down your door (Cajortle, cajortle).
            >
            > Y.

          • A1Chef
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 2, 2003
              I realize that you are going to extra effort to send this to me,
              and I appreciate it, but I DO NOT open attachments! I don't
              even open attachments that are sent to me by family members.
              Old fashioned? Perhaps, but I've never had a virus.
              Thank you for the thought though.
              Y.
              There's nothing simpler than using this renamer
              program and it takes care of all those pesky things
              you don't want in your file names. It is only about
              470 KB and I am going to try to send it to you via
              email.
              If you can wait til tomorrow I will gladly explain it
              to you. I have to go to bed tonight, but my last act
              before dropping off to lala land will be to send you
              the file (or try to).
              Yeah, how about that pic? LOL
              Vince

              --- A1Chef <a1chef@...> wrote: > I know
              nothing about such programs.

              > I just use the delete key.
              >
              > Hey--just saw your pix over at the Philsplace Yahoo
              > neighborhood.
              > You must be nuts for posting that! Yer gonna have
              > women tearing
              > down your door (Cajortle, cajortle).
              >
              > Y.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              851308:HM/A=1784493/R=0/id=noscript/SIG=11q7p9e7k/*http://webevents.yaho
              o.com/universal/intolerablecruelty/>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1784493/rand=589318773>

              If for some reason, you feel this group is not for you, you can easily
              unsubscribe from it by sending an email to:

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Archie
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2003
                I will post it in the files section of the web site.

                It is quite useful.

                Archie

                --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "James Williams"
                <jkwmsga@y...> wrote:
                > >Then there is also the somewhat accepted list of four letter
                > >abbreviations for series names.
                >

                > Archie,
                >

                > Do you know where to get a list of these abbreviations?
                >

                > Thanks
                >
                > James Williams

              • Archie
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2003
                  You will find it in the files section of this group (once I get it
                  uploaded <g>)

                  Archie

                  -- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Harrop"

                  Service.

                • Mark Harrop
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2003
                    Thanks Archie ! You are a Trooper :-)

                    Cheers!
                    Mark
                    mharrop@...

                    `\|||/
                    (@@)
                    ooO_(_)_Ooo___________________________
                    _____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

                    <mharrop@i...> wrote:
                    > Hi Archie et al,
                    >
                    > This is the first time I had heard of the "somewhat accepted list
                    of four letters". Is there a LIST of these somewhere ? I can't
                    remember seeing them in any groups FILES area?

                    > Cheers!
                    > Mark
                    >
                    > mharrop@i...
                    >
                    > `\|||/
                    > (@@)
                    > ooO_(_)_Ooo___________________________
                    > _____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
                    >
                    > Epping, Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA.

                    Service.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Archie
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 3, 2003
                      Not a trooper - an airman <g>

                      (Oh - is that "trooper" as in "down came the troopers - 1 - 2 - 3"

                      You are welcome Mark.

                      Archie
                      (after suffering through the first minus 1 Centrigrade morning of
                      the 'winter' of 2003.)

                      <mharrop@i...> wrote:
                      > Thanks Archie ! You are a Trooper :-)
                      >
                      > Cheers!
                      > Mark
                      > mharrop@i...
                      >
                      > `\|||/
                      > (@@)
                      > ooO_(_)_Ooo___________________________
                      > _____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
                      >
                      > Epping, Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA.

                      Service.

                    • Mark Harrop
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 3, 2003
                        I should have realised that that is an Aussie expression
                        It means you are a great guy and a big help

                        Are you really an Airman ?
                        It's amazing how little we all know bout each other

                        Come on everyone, what is YOUR occuption ?
                        Bye for now !

                        Cheers!
                        Mark

                        mharrop@...

                        `\|||/
                        (@@)
                        ooO_(_)_Ooo___________________________
                        _____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

                        <mharrop@i...> wrote:
                        > Thanks Archie ! You are a Trooper :-)
                        >
                        > Cheers!
                        > Mark
                        > mharrop@i...
                        >
                        > `\|||/
                        > (@@)
                        > ooO_(_)_Ooo___________________________
                        > _____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
                        >
                        > Epping, Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA.

                        Service.

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Archie
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 3, 2003
                          Hi Mark

                          I knew what you meant by a trooper (after all, we are both part of
                          the Commonwealth)! I was trying to get into the Waltzing Matilda
                          connection with the troopers.

                          But yes, I am an airman - the airforce.

                          <mharrop@i...> wrote:
                          > I should have realised that that is an Aussie expression
                          > It means you are a great guy and a big help
                          >
                          > Are you really an Airman ?
                          > It's amazing how little we all know bout each other
                          >
                          > Come on everyone, what is YOUR occuption ?
                          > Bye for now !
                          >
                          > Cheers!
                          > Mark
                          >
                          > mharrop@i...
                          >
                          > `\|||/
                          > (@@)
                          > ooO_(_)_Ooo___________________________
                          > _____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
                          >
                          > Epping, Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA.

                          Service.

                        • Vincente Tobias
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 3, 2003
                            I didn't follow all the threads of this conversation,
                            but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents before I retire
                            (for the night).
                            Occupation?
                            Well, I am a teacher in a small private school, mainly
                            of children with various learning and behavioural
                            disorders.

                            I was in the U.S. army many years ago, just for 3
                            years, rose to rank of Spec. 4 (corporal). I hated
                            every minute of it, but have since learned to
                            appreciate what it gave me.

                            OTR has been my passion since long before it was OTR.
                            The demise of network radio was almost a personal loss
                            for me. Finding OTR on mp3 was like a reincarnation.
                            Also discovering doowop as a genre, which is my
                            current passion.

                            Plans for the future? Retire in 3 years, move to
                            Manitoulin Island in northern Ontario (Canada) and
                            commune with whatever nature has to offer, plus
                            finally listen to the 9 million hours of mp3s I have
                            collected.

                            If you saw the movie "Anger Management" you'll
                            understand when I ask: But who ARE you? LOL

                            Vince

                          • Mark Harrop
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 3, 2003
                              Doh !!!

                              I forgot that you were part of the Commonwealth !

                              DOH ! Now I get the Waltzing Matilda thing :-) Thought you had lost your marbles for a moment ;:-)

                              PS: Got that 4 letter list from the web page. Thanks for that.

                              Cheers!
                              Mark
                              mharrop@...

                              `\|||/
                              (@@)
                              ooO_(_)_Ooo___________________________
                              _____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

                              <mharrop@i...> wrote:
                              > I should have realised that that is an Aussie expression
                              > It means you are a great guy and a big help
                              >
                              > Are you really an Airman ?
                              > It's amazing how little we all know bout each other
                              >
                              > Come on everyone, what is YOUR occuption ?
                              > Bye for now !
                              >
                              > Cheers!
                              > Mark
                              >
                              > mharrop@i...
                              >
                              > `\|||/
                              > (@@)
                              > ooO_(_)_Ooo___________________________
                              > _____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
                              >
                              > Epping, Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA.

                              Service.

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • Gordon Mitchell
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 4, 2003
                                Hi Mark, I live in the same city (sort of)as Archie, I
                                am not an Airman but the son of an Airman and I am a
                                full time Dad and work as a part time Chef at an Irish
                                Pub.

                                Next.

                                Best wishes
                                Gordon

                                --- >
                                > --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Mark
                                > Harrop"
                                > <mharrop@i...> wrote:
                                > > I should have realised that that is an Aussie
                                > expression
                                > > It means you are a great guy and a big help
                                > >
                                > > Are you really an Airman ?
                                > > It's amazing how little we all know bout each
                                > other
                                > >
                                > > Come on everyone, what is YOUR occuption ?
                                > > Bye for now !
                                > >
                                > > Cheers!
                                > > Mark

                                http://shopping.yahoo.com
                              • Kinney Baughman
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 6, 2003
                                  Good thread ...

                                  > Rarely do i bother renaming my MP3 files, but when i do, I always put the date first,

                                  For years, I've put the Series/Show name first, date, episode number,
                                  episode name.

                                  That is until I recently bought a CD mp3 player that only reads the
                                  first 8 characters of a filename. Therefore the only way to reliably
                                  view the shows in order on a CD (which is essential for shows like Yours
                                  Truly Johnny Dollar) is to put the date first.

                                  So I've just recently changed a long-held rule of thumb for what I think
                                  are good reasons. I think those of you/us who are into trading should
                                  consider altering your naming conventions with this fact in mind.

                                  Though like Vince says, it's a snap to rename files with programs like
                                  "Renamer" or my personal favorite, Otter.

                                  I'm a big advocate of renaming your files if you're going to do much
                                  trading at all. If you're not, then who cares. But if you are going to
                                  trade, think about that poor soul you're trading with who has to sort
                                  through long lists of differently named files. It is a huge headache
                                  and has gotten to be one of my pet peaves.

                                  Plus, if you are into renaming files, it's the best way to catch
                                  mis-named episodes. Those misnamed episodes have a habit of spreading
                                  around.

                                  Off the soapbox and back to work ...

                                  Cheers!

                                  --
                                  Kinney Baughman Phone: 828-262-6523
                                  Janitor, Share'n'Trade Board
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 6, 2003
                                    Kinney wrote --

                                    > Plus, if you are into renaming files, it's the best way to catch
                                    > mis-named episodes. Those misnamed episodes have a habit of spreading
                                    > around.

                                    Ain't it the truth!
                                    I don't know how many times I've seen files listed somewhere (share
                                    and trade people are pretty about not doing this <g>) and saw "Oh, a
                                    missing show!" and downloaded only to find its not a missing a show but
                                    a misnamed, misdated and sometimes the show in a completely different
                                    series altogether!
                                    I spend a lot of time going over the shows I have against various
                                    logs comparing titles, dates, guest stars (which makes it real easy
                                    often) or plots (that makes it even easier).
                                    I'm not so concerned what name shows up on the player screen, so long
                                    as the .mp3 is properly dated and named.
                                    I think people in this group are pretty good about renaming and
                                    having the correct dates, as much as possible. Very few shows I've
                                    gotten from Streamload are misnamed or dated.
                                    Joe

                                    --
                                    Visit my homepage: http://members.tripod.com/~HomeSweetHomepage/index.html