Pat Novak

  • danstuff2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
      I have one show from a series called "Pat Novak for Hire" (04) 49-03-
      06 "Fleet Lady" Staring Jack Webb. These shows from my investigation
      are a prelude to Dragnet. After listening to this show I'm wondering
      if this is a spoof or are all these shows as comical as the "Fleet
      Lady" show?

      I have no other shows to compare this to and all my searches have
      came up empty. I have posted this show for download at
      www.dantingler.com/Pat Novak.mp3 (Right click and save target as )

      Any information on this show would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks
      Dan Tingler
      Dan@...
    • James Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
        www.radiologs.com <http://www.radiologs.com/> has a listing for Pat Novak
        for Hire. This will at least let you know what episodes exist.

        I have one show from a series called "Pat Novak for Hire" (04) 49-03-
        06 "Fleet Lady" Staring Jack Webb. These shows from my investigation
        are a prelude to Dragnet. After listening to this show I'm wondering
        if this is a spoof or are all these shows as comical as the "Fleet
        Lady" show?

        I have no other shows to compare this to and all my searches have
        came up empty. I have posted this show for download at
        www.dantingler.com/Pat Novak.mp3 (Right click and save target as )

        Any information on this show would be greatly appreciated.

        Thanks
        Dan Tingler
        Dan@...

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17058513
        08:HM/A=1784493/R=0/id=noscript/SIG=11q7p9e7k/*http:/webevents.yahoo.com/uni
        versal/intolerablecruelty/>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1784493/rand=974740247>

        If for some reason, you feel this group is not for you, you can easily
        unsubscribe from it by sending an email to:

      • mistercopacetic
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2003
          Hi Dan,

          I know that this show is not considered rare, so I'm surprised at the
          lack of response to your question. And no one I've asked has ever
          been able to positively answer whether the show was intended to be as
          funny as it now seems to be. I know Jack Webb was a far more
          interesting individual that the character he portrayed in Dragnet,
          but I'm not sure of the extent of his creative involvement in Pat
          Novak.

          I'm more curious about the relationship, if any, between Dragnet and
          Tales of the Texas Rangers. Texas Rangers seems just like Dragnet,
          set in rural Texas. Does anyone know if it was produced by any of
          the same folks, and which show came out first?

          Mistercopacetic
          Tucson AZ USA

          P.S. Dan, do you share any of your Doo-Wop music files? Please let
          me know in a seperate e-mail. Thanks.

          P.S.S. "The fog was as thick as ankles at a fat-lady convention"

          > I have one show from a series called "Pat Novak for Hire" (04) 49-
          03-
          > 06 "Fleet Lady" Staring Jack Webb. These shows from my
          investigation
          > are a prelude to Dragnet. After listening to this show I'm
          wondering
          > if this is a spoof or are all these shows as comical as the "Fleet
          > Lady" show?
          >
          > I have no other shows to compare this to and all my searches have
          > came up empty. I have posted this show for download at
          > www.dantingler.com/Pat Novak.mp3 (Right click and save target as )
          >
          > Any information on this show would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Dan Tingler
          > Dan@d...
        • kelly smithmare
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2003
            I would like to respond to the questions raised in this post. Pat Novak was not intended to be a funny show. Haven't you seen movies from the era? Sure, there was a little humor in it. But what seems quaint today was hard boiled drama in 1947. People didn't have the world at their fingertips like we do today. T.V. had been invented by 1947, but no one had one because there were no shows yet. Jack Webb had creative input into everything he ever did, even when he was just starting out. Tales of The Texas Rangers may have been patterned after Dragnet, there are similarities. Dragnet came first. The staffs of the two shows were different, it was two entirely separate shows. I hope this clears it up.
            I would love to have the Pat Novak series, but I don't have a streamload account,and I can't burn. Kelly Smith Mare