Re: [OTRMP3] How did you get hooked on OTR?

  • -SGA-
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2003
      Hi Brent,

      I still remember the first time I heard CBSRMT on the
      air in Los Angeles. I thought to myself what the heck
      is this??? It just so happend that I was tuned into
      KNX1070 at the time. Been hooked ever since.

      Since then I've moved back to Mars and unable to
      pickup radio stations. But because of my satelite dish
      perched atop my saucer I've been able to d/l OTR
      instead ;>

      -SGA-

      --- officemgrinva <brent@...> wrote:
      > How did you get involved in OTR in the first place?
      >
      > I know this topic has come up before - but I always
      > find the
      >
      > For me it was Abbott & Costello's "Who's on First?"
      > routine.
      >
      > My teenagers had heard someone try to redo it, and
      > they didn't think
      > it was THAT funny. So, I HAD to find a copy of the
      > original on the
      > internet. As it turns out, I wound up downloading a
      > "sample" program
      > from an OTR sellers site. After a saw the number of
      > western programs
      > available, the rest was, as they say, history.
      >
      > BTW: My teens now think of the A&C Who's on First
      > as one of the
      > funniest things they have ever heard.
      >
      > Looking forward to your responses.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Brent

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • shadow0421
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2003
        I'm 36 years old now, so the golden age of radio had already ended
        when I was born. I guess I was around ten or eleven when I found a
        local am station that played old-time radio at nights from 8PM-10pm,
        sometimes until midnight. I remember going to bed and listening to
        radio shows from my little transistor radio I had underneath my
        pillow. One night the host, Gary Hodson, gave out some addresses to a
        couple of otr mail-order companies. I started ordering radio shows
        from THE RADIO VAULT. They were really nice people and I could get 2
        shows on a tape for about $2.00 (I didn't know about trading at the
        time). Over the years I built up my tape collection to about 500
        tapes. Then I discovered the internet and distros and now I have more
        shows than I could possibly listen to!

        -Bob S.

        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, -SGA-
        <sneakygreenalien@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Brent,
        >
        > I still remember the first time I heard CBSRMT on the
        > air in Los Angeles. I thought to myself what the heck
        > is this??? It just so happend that I was tuned into
        > KNX1070 at the time. Been hooked ever since.
        >
        > Since then I've moved back to Mars and unable to
        > pickup radio stations. But because of my satelite dish
        > perched atop my saucer I've been able to d/l OTR
        > instead ;>
        >
        > -SGA-
        >

        > --- officemgrinva <brent@w...> wrote:
        > > How did you get involved in OTR in the first place?
        > >
        > > I know this topic has come up before - but I always
        > > find the
        > >
        > > For me it was Abbott & Costello's "Who's on First?"
        > > routine.
        > >
        > > My teenagers had heard someone try to redo it, and
        > > they didn't think
        > > it was THAT funny. So, I HAD to find a copy of the
        > > original on the
        > > internet. As it turns out, I wound up downloading a
        > > "sample" program
        > > from an OTR sellers site. After a saw the number of
        > > western programs
        > > available, the rest was, as they say, history.
        > >
        > > BTW: My teens now think of the A&C Who's on First
        > > as one of the
        > > funniest things they have ever heard.
        > >
        > > Looking forward to your responses.
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > Brent

        > http://search.yahoo.com
      • Sabrina
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2003
          Hi Bob

          Just saw your post on how did you get hooked on OTR. For me I had become
          bored with most TV and I wanted something new. I found something new in
          something old. OTR. I usually listen when I go to bed. I can close my eyes
          and visualize the show I am listening to. I first notice that this relaxed
          me when listening to American Movie Classic on TV but sense so much is
          visual with movies I didn't get the full story this way. Then one night I
          just happen to think about the fact that there used to be radio shows before
          the spread of TV and wondered if I could find any of those show on the net.
          The next day I did a search. I didn't find a lot of shows out there for free
          but I did find this group and joined. I got a few shows from hints I found
          here. I then decided that I would check out Usenet Newgroups and P2P
          services and see if I could find any shows there. I found that in both case
          there were shows to be had so I started building my collection A while after
          that I thought I would like to put some stuff out there for those like
          myself who could not afford to buy the shows so I set up my servers which
          are open to all members of the group. They are ran directly off my computer
          so I can't carry the traffic to open it to the everyone on the net but with
          some limits I can open it to the group. In case you haven't seen my post
          about how to access the servers I am including the info you need.

          For FTP:

          User Name: OTR

          Password: OTR

          Server Address: 68.47.242.139

          Port: 21

          You can also access all my shows with your browser at:

          http://68.47.242.139/

          That IP is 68.47.242.139 incase it is truncated.

          Enjoy

          Sabrina

        • Noctaire
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2003
            Gang,

            I'm looking to expand my FAQ for OTR Newbies a bit, primarily on the topic
            of newsgroups. There's a lot of great stuff that comes over the
            alt.binaries.sounds.radio.* newsgroups, it's totally free, and much of it is
            in complete sets -- I've picked up some of my best OTR that way.

            One thing that is a killer on these though is the fees. I can burn 15 gigs
            on Giganews in 3 weeks time with ease and I don't even grab everything that
            comes down the pipe. I know that many of our members have it a little tough
            and can't afford a server like Giganews in addition to their other Internet
            expenses, so I would like to get a good list of free news servers together
            to add to the FAQ. I'll also add a little tutorial in there as well to make
            it easier for those who are new to Usenet get up and running.

            So if you know of a great free Usenet server, please drop me a line with the
            server's name, any particulars (limits, rules, etc.), whether or not it
            accepts posts or is just downloads, and how complete you've found their OTR
            binaries to be as well as how long they appear to hold onto binaries
            postings.

            Thanks!

            Noc.
          • barryem
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 2003
              --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Sabrina <SabbieTrick@c...>
              wrote:

              > Just saw your post on how did you get hooked on OTR.

              I grew up listening to what is now OTR but then for years, a decade,
              or two, mmaybe, between the last radio Gunsmoke shows and CBS Radio
              Mystery Theater, I never heard or thought about it. CBSRMT got me
              started again in a small way. I listened to that off and on for
              years. Then I sort of forgot it again, although I did find OTR
              broadcasts to listen to, accidentally, now and then.

              One day in a used bookstore I came across a shoebox full of cassettes
              of OTR shows. Mostly comedies. I guess this was about the middle
              80's. I bought this and looked for more and then I found another
              shoe box at the same store a few weeks later with Richard Diamond
              shows. I listened and I hated the silly stories. But they were all
              the dramas I had and gradually I began to like them. I guess I had
              to get re-aquanted with the styles of the past.

              That's about when OTR tapes began to appear in bookstores and I
              bought a few and enjoyed them till one day I got a pack of 12
              Suspense shows. Then I was hooked.

              Even though I thought I was a pretty avid listener in the days of
              yore, I find now that a lot of the shows being collected are ones I
              never knew about, or, if I did, I have no memory of them. Box 13 and
              The Six Shooter are examples of shows I think I should have been
              aware of, if only because of the big stars involved.

              So I sort of get it both ways. I know a lot of the old shows from
              the old days and I remember how it was to listen then, and still huge
              amounts of this are totally new experiences for me.

              I don't think a lot about OTR now except when talking with someone
              about it. But I listen a lot. Just when I feel like it, which is
              fairly often.

              Barry