Newbit with LOTS of Questions!

  • faerie_castle
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hello OTR Fans! I am a total newbie, and this is my first posting. I
      have SEVERAL questions, so pleae forgive my long posting! I will try
      to keep them shorter next time! I don't have an MP3 player, but my
      CD has a burner, and I am able to download an MP3 and turn it to a
      wave file, that I can then burn maybe 2 episodes per CD to disks. I
      can then listen to OTR in the car, or other CD player. On all of
      these "free CDs for people who have 10 or less" - welll, I think
      that's me, since I really don't have any yet, and am just getting
      started! What time do people usually post these fabulous offers?
      Since I never get to check my pc until late at night! I don't have
      streamload, or other service like that. I just have an email, so I
      am not even sure it is something I could try to take advantage of. I
      would love to participate in any sort of sharing, but am not sure
      how to do it. Could someone explain it to me? Being so new, I was so
      excited when I saw "uncle sycamore's" posting for CBRMT shows
      needed, that I actually had a couple, that I could share! I
      have "Cold Storage" and "I Warn you Three Times", but I don't know
      how to send them to him. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and
      Uncle Sycamore, all those others listed, I'd love to have myself!
      They all sound intriguing!

      Is there a special sub-group for OTR fans of mystery, horror, crime
      and suspense? I am not a great fan of the comedies, but LOVE the
      scary shows, as well as the gumshoe detectives, and the Lux radio
      theatre dramas!

      How do people store so much on your pc? I try to download a couple
      of shows, then burn them and remove them from the PC as I have
      limited storage on the pc. Is there something I should do so that I
      would be able to hold more, to have more to share? I am not sure
      what the disk looks like to an mp3 player. Is it the same sort of
      disk that you burn for wave files? I know for wave files you can
      only get 2 or maybe 3 short radio shows on 1 cd. I knwo my3 stuff
      means you can get alot on one disk. Are they similar to regular
      disks? I may have to et an mp3 player one of these days!

      I had found some website that told me to join something that would
      be some sort of FTTP thing, but I tried, and it wouldn't work.
      However I had found some number that was fttp:// followed by a
      series of numbers, that if I use that as a web address, it lets me
      enter and download things. I believe I found that number by reading
      some of the postings here, so whoever is in charge of that one,
      thank you for the sharing! Does anyone else have some fttp://
      numbers that could be put into the address field, to allow entrance
      for downloading? All would be appreciated.

      I also heard about joining binary groups and news groups, but I have
      no idea what those are, how to join, or where to join! Any
      suggestions would be appreciated. I am not very technical so if the
      binary thing means you need experince with knowing alot of computer
      stuff, it wouldn't be the thing for me to do.

      I was also seeking to find somewhere on the web to look for some BBC
      radio plays and drama to download, but so far have had no luck. Any
      web addresses appreciated.

      I was reading about "dropchute" here on these postings, but am still
      unsure what it is. It sounds like something where you can allow
      strangers into your pc? Although I am sure you are all LOVELY
      people, I am not sure I would be comfortable allowing my harddrive
      to be accessed by a stranger, kind as you may be! But perhaps I am
      misreading how this dropchute thing works? Is it something you have
      to pay a fee to join? I read about that Streamload, and it appears
      to have a fee, but with all the negativity surrounding it, I don't
      think I wish to pay for that service at this time!

      Well if your eyes haven't crossed, or you haven't started sawing
      logzzzzzzzzzzzz after this long posting, I hope to hear some

      faerie
    • raugost
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
        --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "faerie_castle"
        <faerie_castle@h...> wrote:
        > Hello OTR Fans! I am a total newbie, and this is my first posting.

        Welcome. We all were newbies once.

        > I don't have an MP3 player, but my
        > CD has a burner, and I am able to download an MP3 and turn it to a
        > wave file, that I can then burn maybe 2 episodes per CD to disks.

        I don't either, although (briefly) my DVD player played them (day
        after thanksgiving special - would cost more to fix than what it's
        worth. Oh well, it still plays DVDs). I copy them to cassette tape
        and play them in the car, or play them on the computer.

        You can try it out. www.streamload.com and sign up for a trial 100M.

        > I just have an email, so I
        > am not even sure it is something I could try to take advantage of.

        It's web based (set up to work with your browser, may I suggest
        Mozilla?) so you should be able to handle it.

        > would love to participate in any sort of sharing, but am not sure
        > how to do it. Could someone explain it to me?

        Sharing usually takes place over Streamload (you upload your stuff to
        it, and they download from there, the Streamload site would have
        instructions for doing that) or Dropchute (a Peer to Peer network) or
        a hub - which I'm rather confused about, so don't ask me. Or you can
        send a CD with the show in MP3 format.

        > How do people store so much on your pc?

        MP3 is a pretty compact format. As you know, you fit two shows in WAV
        format on a CD, but you can fit about 100 in MP3 format. I keep them
        on CD and the hard drive in MP3 format, although I have created one
        audio (.Wav) CD for my daughter' CD player. As to how to store them -
        about a month ago I bought a 60 gig drive to do just that. (I make
        sure I have CD's with the shows in case of emergency.)

        > I try to download a couple
        > of shows, then burn them and remove them from the PC as I have
        > limited storage on the pc. Is there something I should do so that I
        > would be able to hold more, to have more to share?

        Keep the MP3, and delete the Wav file after you've burned it.

        >I am not sure
        > what the disk looks like to an mp3 player.

        Physically - it's just a CD-R (writable CD).

        > Is it the same sort of disk that you burn for wave files?

        Exactly.

        > I may have to et an mp3 player one of these days!

        Me too.

        > I had found some website that told me to join something that would
        > be some sort of FTTP thing, but I tried, and it wouldn't work.

        FTP - File Transfer Protocol - <anouncer voice> "Before the Web,
        before Internet Explorer, before Netscape - there was FTP" </anouncer
        voice>
        It's a way of moving files between computers.

        > However I had found some number that was fttp:// followed by a
        > series of numbers, that if I use that as a web address, it lets me
        > enter and download things.

        Yes, browsers can use it, too, but you don't need a browser.

        > I also heard about joining binary groups and news groups, but I have
        > no idea what those are, how to join, or where to join!

        That's Usenet, another part of the Web that pre-dates browsers. I
        think Outlook Express, and Netscape and Mozilla "news" are the tools
        you use to get there - but you have to have an ISP that supplies the
        correct newsgroups. (I don't).

        > I was reading about "dropchute" here on these postings, but am still
        > unsure what it is. It sounds like something where you can allow
        > strangers into your pc?

        From what I understand, you install the program, tell it what
        directories to allow others to access, and put the files you are going
        to share in there. You then start Dropchute, and you can access the
        files on others' computers, if they told you about them, and they can
        access the files in your public directory, if you told them about the
        files. They cannot get anything outside that directory, and you
        cannot get anything outside their public directory. Fairly safe.

        > Is it something you have
        > to pay a fee to join?

        The Lite version of Dropchute is free, and you connect directly with
        the other people's computers, there is no central authority you have
        to use.

        > Well if your eyes haven't crossed, or you haven't started sawing
        > logzzzzzzzzzzzz after this long posting, I hope to hear some

        Another way to get and share OTR is through "distros" - distrabution
        lists. It looks like I'm starting one in this newsgroup, and there
        are several newsgroups that are dedicated to doing just that. The way
        it works is I collect a list of people who are interested in what I
        have to share (in this case, the complete set of extant Jack Benny
        radio shows - 9 CD's of MP3 files). I wlil make some copies and mail
        them to some of the people on the list. Then each person will make a
        copy, and mail the copy to the next person on the list (I'll get the
        names and addresses to the participants). Eventually, everyone will
        have a copy.

        > faerie

        Tom A.
        Gangster: Don't anyone move, or I'll lump your dumplings!
        - Lux Radio Theater, _Seven Keys to Baldpate_
      • faerie_castle
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
          -Wow! Thank you for all the information. I like the idea of the
          distribution list! I would hope I could do it correctly..I have
          never burned MP3 to a cd before, I have only burtned WAV to a
          cd...but I am willing to try! I would love to get on some
          distribution lists for some of the more mystery/suspense/drama sort
          of shows. Now this "share your pc files" thing...if you do that,
          aren't you putting your pc at risk fore getting a virus? I am a bit
          concerned about that. Otherwise, it sounds interesting. Thank you
          for your replies!

          faerie

          - In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "raugost" <raugost@y...>