Re: [OTRMP3] Question about VHS conversion and Phillips

  • Big6StringBass@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
      In a message dated 1/2/03 8:01:01 AM, esspee160@... writes:

      << 1K, huh? Geesh! I'd need a 4th job!

      But please keep us posted on how it works and what the model # is.
      I also have many family tapes, and other 'stuff'. I'd love to put on
      DVD or VCD. >>

      Yes, but with the disappearance of VHS seeming imminent, not to mention the
      deterioration of tape, I bought it with the hope of preserving the hundreds
      of hours of old movies, etc., I'd taped. Example, even a bad copy of the
      Canadian TV series THE GREAT DETECTIVE is something I want to preserve. I
      recorded that off-air from A&E almost 20 years ago at slow speed because at
      the time I'd just bought my first VCR and knew no better. The death of late
      night television as far as old movies is a great blow as far as I'm
      concerned. I've lost some over the years, but I recorded all kinds of great
      stuff: Charlie Chan. Sherlock Holmes, Mr Moto, Hildegarde Withers, Fibber
      McGee and Molly, etc., etc. It drives me nuts to heard please for funds from
      places like AMC to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to "save" and
      "restore" a few "classic" movies. I agree they should be saved, but it seems
      to me one of the best and most cost effective ways to save our motion picture
      heritage is to keep broadcasting the stuff and let people tape of DVD it. The
      more copies extant the more chance they won't disappear with time. Worry
      about restoration later, lets get everything possible into digital now before
      the film is gone.

      Don
    • Becky Petersen
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003

        >Yes, but with the disappearance of VHS seeming imminent, not to mention the
        >deterioration of tape,

        Are they still selling vhs recorders in the states? I hope so. We need one.
        I, too, want to transfer our vhs to dvd or vcd.

        Becky in Poland

      • j.wegley
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
          Thomas - One question - do you know how many hours you can put on the DVD? Only 6 or 8, or can it compress like MP3? I'd almost spring for the $1000 if I can get 50 hours or so on a DVD. thanks. judi

          =====Blessed Be!
          Merry Meet, and Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again!
          http://home.attbi.com/~j.wegley

          Adventures in Nostalgia - Olde Tyme Radio Lives!
          Judi Wegley
          8485 Zachis Way
          Antelope, CA 95843
          (916) 729 2338
          j.wegley@...
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
            A standard DVD will hold approximately 4 hours of video, 8 if you are
            able to record to both sides of the disc.

            Carl G.

            j.wegley wrote:

            >Thomas - One question - do you know how many hours you can put on the DVD? Only 6 or 8, or can it compress like MP3? I'd almost spring for the $1000 if I can get 50 hours or so on a DVD. thanks. judi
            >
            >=====Blessed Be!
            >Merry Meet, and Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again!
            >http://home.attbi.com/~j.wegley
            >
            >Adventures in Nostalgia - Olde Tyme Radio Lives!
            >Judi Wegley
            >8485 Zachis Way
            >Antelope, CA 95843
            >(916) 729 2338
            >j.wegley@...

          • j.wegley

                j.wegley wrote:

                >Thomas - One question - do you know how many hours you can put on the DVD? Only 6 or 8, or can it compress like MP3? I'd almost spring for the $1000 if I can get 50 hours or so on a DVD. thanks. judi
                >
                >=====Blessed Be!
                >Merry Meet, and Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again!
                >http://home.attbi.com/~j.wegley
                >
                >Adventures in Nostalgia - Olde Tyme Radio Lives!
                >Judi Wegley
                >8485 Zachis Way
                >Antelope, CA 95843
                >(916) 729 2338
                >j.wegley@...

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Brian Ramsbey
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                  All Hail the Beta Machine! :-) Couldn't resist. From one long time
                  Beta user to another. I still have 5 machines running at my house hold.
                  I still have over 1000 tapes of beta stuff......

                  Brian R.

                  j.wegley wrote:

                  >Carl - then it is NOT even remotely cost effective to convert. With the tapes being 6-8 hours each you can't even get one tape on 1 DVD. I guess I'll hang on to what I've got for the time being. I've been nursing our Beta for nearly 20 years, so I'll nurse my VHS machines for as long as humanly possible. Thank you ever so much for the info. I like being an informed shopper. You guys are always such great resources of info. Judi : )
                  >
                  >=====Blessed Be!
                  >Merry Meet, and Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again!
                  >http://home.attbi.com/~j.wegley
                  >
                  >Adventures in Nostalgia - Olde Tyme Radio Lives!
                  >Judi Wegley
                  >8485 Zachis Way
                  >Antelope, CA 95843
                  >(916) 729 2338
                  >j.wegley@...

                • j.wegley

                    j.wegley wrote:

                    >Carl - then it is NOT even remotely cost effective to convert. With the tapes being 6-8 hours each you can't even get one tape on 1 DVD. I guess I'll hang on to what I've got for the time being. I've been nursing our Beta for nearly 20 years, so I'll nurse my VHS machines for as long as humanly possible. Thank you ever so much for the info. I like being an informed shopper. You guys are always such great resources of info. Judi : )
                    >
                    >=====Blessed Be!
                    >Merry Meet, and Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again!
                    >http://home.attbi.com/~j.wegley
                    >
                    >Adventures in Nostalgia - Olde Tyme Radio Lives!
                    >Judi Wegley
                    >8485 Zachis Way
                    >Antelope, CA 95843
                    >(916) 729 2338
                    >j.wegley@...

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • Brian Ramsbey
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                      Not True, I have been dabbling into the DVD-R world and found several
                      sources for blanks under $1. I am currently having problems inputting
                      video from tape to my computer without the audio getting shifted off.
                      From my DVR it works fine through the SVideo and composite analog video
                      in. Its weird and a fustraighting mystery right now. I have bought a
                      stack of DVD-R blanks for about $39.99 and have not had a bad one yet.
                      The process on the computer is dirt slow though. To do about 89
                      minutes of video, once you get it on to the computer hard drive, takes
                      about 6.5 hours to Render and compile before you can burn it to disc.
                      It is just not convenient yet. Its coming though, try to keep them
                      going for a bit longer. Just curious what Beta machine do you have. I
                      have all SONY SLHF450, 600, 900, and a 350 all Super Beta Hi-Fi. They
                      all weigh a ton compared to the plastic units of today.

                      Brian R.

                    • Becky Petersen
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                        Last night my brother told me that blank dvds are $1-$1.25 apiece. I don't
                        know where, though. That's what he wrote (I'm in Poland...he's in PA).

                        Becky

                        At 12:00 PM 1/2/03 -0800, you wrote:
                        >Brian - Wow! I've got >100 and I thought saying that would send people
                        >into gales of unbridled laughter! I am so glad to see someone else who
                        >refuses to be intimidated by technology. I've got >400 VHS and that's why
                        >I wanted to convert, but not if I can't put a lot on them. I hear the
                        >blank disks alone are $6.95 each.
                        >
                        >=====Blessed Be!
                        >Merry Meet, and Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again!
                        ><http://home.attbi.com/~j.wegley>http://home.attbi.com/~j.wegley
                        >
                        >Adventures in Nostalgia - Olde Tyme Radio Lives!
                        >Judi Wegley
                        >8485 Zachis Way
                        >Antelope, CA 95843
                        >(916) 729 2338
                        >j.wegley@...

                      • j.wegley

                          Not True, I have been dabbling into the DVD-R world and found several
                          sources for blanks under $1. I am currently having problems inputting
                          video from tape to my computer without the audio getting shifted off.
                          From my DVR it works fine through the SVideo and composite analog video

                          j.wegley wrote:

                          >Brian - Wow! I've got >100 and I thought saying that would send people into gales of unbridled laughter! I am so glad to see someone else who refuses to be intimidated by technology. I've got >400 VHS and that's why I wanted to convert, but not if I can't put a lot on them. I hear the blank disks alone are $6.95 each.
                          >
                          >=====Blessed Be!
                          >Merry Meet, and Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again!
                          >http://home.attbi.com/~j.wegley
                          >
                          >Adventures in Nostalgia - Olde Tyme Radio Lives!
                          >Judi Wegley
                          >8485 Zachis Way
                          >Antelope, CA 95843
                          >(916) 729 2338
                          >j.wegley@...

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Carl Godfrey
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                            Not in my neck of the woods. The lowest price I can get, even if I offer
                            to buy in bulk, is about $13 CDN. Dollar for dollar CD-R is still my
                            best bet. To get the same amount of storage on DVD that I get on a
                            brick of 100 CD-Rs costs almost 6 times as much, never mind the fact
                            any DVD-writer I've seen that appears worth buying costs 3 to 4 times
                            the cost of a CD- rewriter. The prices are going to have to come down
                            substantially before I can even take the tecnology seriously.

                            Carl G.

                            Brian Ramsbey wrote:

                            >Not True, I have been dabbling into the DVD-R world and found several
                            >sources for blanks under $1. I am currently having problems inputting
                            >video from tape to my computer without the audio getting shifted off.
                            > From my DVR it works fine through the SVideo and composite analog video
                            >in. Its weird and a fustraighting mystery right now. I have bought a
                            >stack of DVD-R blanks for about $39.99 and have not had a bad one yet.
                            > The process on the computer is dirt slow though. To do about 89
                            >minutes of video, once you get it on to the computer hard drive, takes
                            >about 6.5 hours to Render and compile before you can burn it to disc.
                            > It is just not convenient yet. Its coming though, try to keep them
                            >going for a bit longer. Just curious what Beta machine do you have. I
                            >have all SONY SLHF450, 600, 900, and a 350 all Super Beta Hi-Fi. They
                            >all weigh a ton compared to the plastic units of today.
                            >
                            >Brian R.
                            >

                            >j.wegley wrote:
                            >

                            >>Brian - Wow! I've got >100 and I thought saying that would send people into gales of unbridled laughter! I am so glad to see someone else who refuses to be intimidated by technology. I've got >400 VHS and that's why I wanted to convert, but not if I can't put a lot on them. I hear the blank disks alone are $6.95 each.
                            >>
                            >>=====Blessed Be!
                            >>Merry Meet, and Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again!
                            >>http://home.attbi.com/~j.wegley
                            >>
                            >>Adventures in Nostalgia - Olde Tyme Radio Lives!
                            >>Judi Wegley
                            >>8485 Zachis Way
                            >>Antelope, CA 95843
                            >>(916) 729 2338
                            >>j.wegley@...

                          • j.wegley

                              Last night my brother told me that blank dvds are $1-$1.25 apiece. I don't
                              know where, though. That's what he wrote (I'm in Poland...he's in PA).

                              Becky

                              At 12:00 PM 1/2/03 -0800, you wrote:
                              >Brian - Wow! I've got >100 and I thought saying that would send people
                              >into gales of unbridled laughter! I am so glad to see someone else who
                              >refuses to be intimidated by technology. I've got >400 VHS and that's why
                              >I wanted to convert, but not if I can't put a lot on them. I hear the
                              >blank disks alone are $6.95 each.
                              >
                              >=====Blessed Be!
                              >Merry Meet, and Merry Part, and Merry Meet Again!
                              ><http://home.attbi.com/~j.wegley>http://home.attbi.com/~j.wegley
                              >
                              >Adventures in Nostalgia - Olde Tyme Radio Lives!
                              >Judi Wegley
                              >8485 Zachis Way
                              >Antelope, CA 95843
                              >(916) 729 2338
                              >j.wegley@...

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • Carl Godfrey
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 2, 2003
                                And I was being kind in my estimation. If these recorders are bound by
                                the same legal restrictions as are DVD-writers, you'll only be able to
                                get single-layer DVDs to record on. The bottom line on this? Maximum 62
                                minutes of recording time per disc in standard DVD-Video format.

                                Carl G.

                              • Big6StringBass@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 5, 2003
                                  In a message dated 1/2/03 1:06:57 PM, Becky@... writes:

                                  << Are they still selling vhs recorders in the states? I hope so. We need
                                  one.
                                  I, too, want to transfer our vhs to dvd or vcd.

                                  Yes, there is a large selection of them, plus a huge amount of pre-recorded
                                  VHS tapes, but it just seems a matter of time.
                                • burbank396 <burbank396@netscape.net>
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 6, 2003
                                    Considering that the last Beta-Max units came off the assembily line
                                    in the past 12 months or so (they were still on sale in Japan). I
                                    suspect it won't be RSN. I do agree it will be coming though as the
                                    FEDs mandate for Anti-Piracy S/H ware comes on line.