RE: [OTRMP3] Re: Distros

  • Becky Petersen
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2003
      Try Otr-sharewithus
      at yahoo groups.

      If you get into a couple of other ones, interact some, get a good
      reputation for being a solid otr citizen, then ask someone to speak well of
      you to get into the distro group. Because someone told that we give away
      free cds with no obligation to burn in the accompanying distro group, the
      group membership went restricted lest a whole bunch of "leeches" try to get
      in. So, as a result, everyone has been put on "hold" unless we know you.
      The best way to get to know you is to join some of the smaller ones first.
      Otr-sharewithus is getting ready to do another distro in there...if you
      join right away you can vote on what you want for a distro.

      Becky who is a member of otr-sharewithus and I hope it's okay that I just
      posted this.

    • Brian Longstaff
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 2, 2003
        It's okay, Becky.

        Brian L

        If you get into a couple of other ones, interact some, get a good
        reputation for being a solid otr citizen, then ask someone to speak well of
        you to get into the distro group. Because someone told that we give away
        free cds with no obligation to burn in the accompanying distro group, the
        group membership went restricted lest a whole bunch of "leeches" try to get
        in. So, as a result, everyone has been put on "hold" unless we know you.
        The best way to get to know you is to join some of the smaller ones first.
        Otr-sharewithus is getting ready to do another distro in there...if you
        join right away you can vote on what you want for a distro.

        Becky who is a member of otr-sharewithus and I hope it's okay that I just
        posted this.

        At 10:08 AM 1/2/03 -0500, you wrote:
        >I am interested in joining one or two Distros for Old Time Radio, could you
        >recommend a couple of good ones that I could get started with?
        >
        >I have just learned that my satellite ISP (DirecWay) has a "Fair Access
        >Policy" that effectively limits my downloading to about 15K! Actually, I
        can
        >download at about 700K - but if I do that I can only access the system for
        >about 3 minutes each hour! Cable was MUCH better! May have to go to dialup
        >access again since I don't seem to have any other options. One of the
        >drawbacks to moving to the country I guess.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Jim
        >
        >eMail: otr at bookfixer dot com
        > - or -
        >Streamload: bookfixer

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---
      • Celestial
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 2, 2003
          Jim,
          What I would do in your case is go to Yahoo and do a search for the
          different OTR groups.
          There are a lot of them and they give discriptions about what their group is
          about.
          British Commenwealth OTR and Detective -OTR have some distros.
          Patricia

          <scullen7@o...> wrote:
          > Hi Everyone,
          > I was Just wondering If anyone had any idea of how many different
          distro groups there are. I would like any information on any distro
          groups. You can email me off list at
          > SCullen7@o...
          > Thank you all any help would be appreciated.
          > Sincerely,
          > Steve Cullen
          >
          > Streamload Id - Gandolf112875
          >
          > Aol Screen Name - Glassjoe77

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          If for some reason, you feel this group is not for you, you can easily
          unsubscribe from it by sending an email to:

          If for some reason, you feel this group is not for you, you can easily
          unsubscribe from it by sending an email to:

          .

        • Hollie Harlow
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 22, 2003
            I saw everyone else putting in their .02 and I guess I'll add mine... the
            75th reply will have enough to buy a coffee! :)

            To ship from Canada to the US, a CD is a 'small package'. We cannot mail it
            as a "letter" because it isn't a letter. The postage on that is 2.80
            whether it's one cd or 10. After about 10 cds (250 grams) the postage goes
            to 4.25. The delivery time for that is given as 2 to 6 weeks. To send it
            airmail, you add another 1.45 to either amount.

            There are distro groups you can join though, I'm fairly certain, in which
            you could just trade within Canada. In that case a cd, or 5 or even 10 DOES
            count as a letter, and is a set price. The range is from .96 to 2.10
            depending on weight.

            Hollie
          • jconn0403 <jconn0403@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 24, 2003
              To save a bit on postage check out the "Media Mail" rate when
              sending discs. As your postal clerk about the requirements for
              mailing (it used to be called "Library Rate". I just sent 13 discs in
              a box, with bubble wrap for $1.42.
              John
            • Jim Wood
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 25, 2003
                Last piece sent to me via Media Mail took 3 1/2 weeks!

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 4, 2009
                  Hi y'all,

                  I'm not new here, but I'm new to posting, and visiting regularly. I'm
                  trying to find out if there will be any distros upcoming for The Great
                  Gildersleeve and The Firefighters.

                  I have my nine-year old son hooked on Gildy, but we only have about
                  200 shows, which we have heard many times over. I know there are about
                  4-500 out there available. When it comes to punishing my son when he
                  gets in trouble, we can take away his toys (some complaining),
                  television (less complaining, but still some) or take away his ability
                  to listen to OTR (shrieks and screams "no not that," he says). We just
                  want to get him the rest of the shows.

                  As for The Firefighters, my son loves that show too, but our CD of
                  that series won't play any longer.

                  I'm also looking for a couple CDs of Lone Ranger (for him) and Perry
                  Mason (for me).

                  I would like to take part in future distros, but I can only burn cds,
                  no DVDs. I hope that won't keep me from participating in some distros
                  in the future.

                  Nice to meet y'all,
                  Brian Humek
                  Irving, Texas
                • dal3856
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 5, 2009
                    --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Humek" <acuqp@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi y'all,
                    >
                    > I'm not new here, but I'm new to posting, and visiting regularly.
                    I'm
                    > trying to find out if there will be any distros upcoming for The
                    Great
                    > Gildersleeve and The Firefighters.
                    >
                    > I have my nine-year old son hooked on Gildy, but we only have about
                    > 200 shows, which we have heard many times over. I know there are
                    about
                    > 4-500 out there available. When it comes to punishing my son when
                    he
                    > gets in trouble, we can take away his toys (some complaining),
                    > television (less complaining, but still some) or take away his
                    ability
                    > to listen to OTR (shrieks and screams "no not that," he says). We
                    just
                    > want to get him the rest of the shows.
                    >
                    > As for The Firefighters, my son loves that show too, but our CD of
                    > that series won't play any longer.
                    >
                    > I'm also looking for a couple CDs of Lone Ranger (for him) and
                    Perry
                    > Mason (for me).
                    >
                    > I would like to take part in future distros, but I can only burn
                    cds,
                    > no DVDs. I hope that won't keep me from participating in some
                    distros
                    > in the future.
                    >
                    > Nice to meet y'all,
                    > Brian Humek
                    > Irving, Texas

                    Try these until a distro comes along:

                    http://www.freeotrshows.com/otr/g/Great_Gildersleeve.html

                    http://www.archive.org/details/FireFighters

                    http://www.archive.org/details/Perry_Mason_Radio_Show

                    http://www.otr.net/?p=lone

                    dal3856
                  • billapostol
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 5, 2009
                      hi,

                      i'll have about 3.3Gigs of Gildersleeve online for download by
                      tomorrow sometime.

                      i'll start the upload around ten pm EST tonight.

                      you can download each episode so you won't have to wait for a
                      distro. you can even burn them onto cd and start your own distro if
                      you want!

                      Http://TennesseeBillsOTR.com

                      the gildersleeve episodes will be in
                      http://tennesseebillsotr.com/otr/Great%20Gildersleeve,The/
                      there are some files in that directory but the last two episodes
                      won't be complete until i start uploading again tonight after 10 pm
                      EST.

                      bill
                      wrote:

                      > Hi y'all,
                      >
                      > I'm not new here, but I'm new to posting, and visiting regularly.
                      I'm
                      > trying to find out if there will be any distros upcoming for The
                      Great
                      > Gildersleeve and The Firefighters.
                      >
                      > I have my nine-year old son hooked on Gildy, but we only have about
                      > 200 shows, which we have heard many times over. I know there are
                      about
                      > 4-500 out there available. When it comes to punishing my son when
                      he
                      > gets in trouble, we can take away his toys (some complaining),
                      > television (less complaining, but still some) or take away his
                      ability
                      > to listen to OTR (shrieks and screams "no not that," he says). We
                      just
                      > want to get him the rest of the shows.
                      >
                      > As for The Firefighters, my son loves that show too, but our CD of
                      > that series won't play any longer.
                      >
                      > I'm also looking for a couple CDs of Lone Ranger (for him) and Perry
                      > Mason (for me).
                      >
                      > I would like to take part in future distros, but I can only burn
                      cds,
                      > no DVDs. I hope that won't keep me from participating in some
                      distros
                      > in the future.
                      >
                      > Nice to meet y'all,
                      > Brian Humek
                      > Irving, Texas

                    • billapostol
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 6, 2009
                        brian,

                        it's 3am EST and gildersleeve is uploaded, and ready for download. i
                        am only missing a couple episodes. the total size is about 3.3gigs.
                        everything is mp3 so you can download it rather than listen online.

                        since the raw file lists are generated on the fly by the web server, i
                        don't know if a download manager will work on the file list download
                        page. i don't imagine that it wouldn't, since the pages are straight
                        html, so maybe you can google one and give it a whirl. that will
                        allow you to queue up as many episodes as you want and just let it do
                        its thing.

                        i have singles and doubles collections uploading now and they total
                        about 16 gigs for all 13 volumes plus a few other collections.

                        i think i have some fbi based shows queued after them. it will
                        probably be a day or two before they are uploaded. i upload on
                        weekdays from about 10pm EST to about 4pm EST.

                        bill

                        http://TennesseeBillsOTR.com
                        and direct access to the download directory (for now)