What's well written?

  • Rick Weller
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30 10:09 AM
      Colleagues -

      I find I have tens of thousands of shows and have listened to about 60.
      I would appreciate so opinions on what are well written shows. The ones
      I felt that about in my very limited are

      21st Precinct

      Frontier Gentleman

      My Favorite Husband - Phil Harris and Alice Faye - Burns and Allen

      Jack Benny - Fred Allen

      Harry Lime

      If you could put forth some other ideas I would appreciate it.

      Thanks

      Rick

    • rc750594805
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30 10:39 AM
        I have to agree with you on your list of shows but of those 4 in
        particular rate 5 stars for me.

        I think Jack Benny was the undisputed king of the 1/2 hour comedy
        shows followed by Burns & Allen. It's interesting to note that both
        of these shows were husband and wife teams. In reading the
        book "Radio Revisted", it was noted that Gacie Allen was so petrified
        of performing in front of an audience that they had a hard time
        getting Gracie to attend rehersals. She just was a "natural" at being
        a great comic.

        As I've spent over 160 hours listening to My Favorite Husband,
        Lucille Ball was a star in all of her series and went on to have a
        long running successful TV career. I'm just now discovering some of
        her drama roles in episodes of LUX Radio Theater. Again another
        husband and wife team with Dezi Arnez. Then there's Lucille's
        daughter who has gone into acting and I loved her perfomance in the
        Jazz Singer Movie with Neil Diamond.

        Last would be Harry Lime. Every thing that Orson Welles did was
        superb. He was the master at story telling and of course there's his
        most notable show "The War Of The Worlds" which frightened everyone
        and nearly cause a panic as people thought it was real.

        These get my votes,

        Richard
        Yahoo ID:rc750594805
      • howru1230047
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30 10:46 AM
          --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@y..., Rick Weller <rweller7607@c...> wrote:
          > Colleagues -
          >
          > I find I have tens of thousands of shows and have listened to about
          60.
          > I would appreciate so opinions on what are well written shows. The
          ones
          > I felt that about in my very limited are
          >
          > 21st Precinct
          >
          > Frontier Gentleman
          >
          > My Favorite Husband - Phil Harris and Alice Faye - Burns and Allen
          >
          > Jack Benny - Fred Allen
          >
          > Harry Lime
          >
          > If you could put forth some other ideas I would appreciate it.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Rick

          hi rick
          a few i like:
          suspense; fibber & molly; gunsmoke; broadway is my beat; richard
          diamond; amos n' andy;x-1--actually i could list the ones i don't like
          much quicker...there isn't any bad otr-some is just better than
          others...so i'll just stop right here. you'll like these(i hope).
          howard

        • dwmyers_99
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30 11:36 AM
            I really enjoy the multi-part Yours Truly Johnny Dollar because the
            extended running time allowed much more time for plot development
            than existed in the standard 30 minute show.

            Other good ones in the detective line would be Richard Diamond and
            Box 13. Some people like Sam Spade a lot. I find them a little too
            silly. Of course, when Dick Powell breaks into song in the Richard
            Diamond shows, that's a tad silly as well.

            Of the comedy shows, in addition to Jack Benny, my hands down
            favorite is the Great Gildersleeve. I find them surviving the
            passage of time better than most, probably because they deal with
            basic emotions that are more timeless in nature than just plain
            jokes. So what if Leroy aged at a slower rate than his sister.

            I sometimes wonder if I will ever listen to everything in my
            collection. If I don't, it won't be for a lack of trying. The best
            investment I have made in a long time was my portable mp3 player. It
            goes with me to and from work and in the car on trips. Some nights,
            I'll go to bed early just so I can put the headphones on and listen
            for a bit.

            To all of those people out there who spend more time collecting than
            listening, you're missing out on the best part. Take some time to
            enjoy what you have. There will be time tomorrow for that next
            download.

            --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@y..., Rick Weller <rweller7607@c...> wrote:
            > Colleagues -
            >
            > I find I have tens of thousands of shows and have listened to about
            60.
            > I would appreciate so opinions on what are well written shows. The
            ones
            > I felt that about in my very limited are
            >
            > 21st Precinct
            >
            > Frontier Gentleman
            >
            > My Favorite Husband - Phil Harris and Alice Faye - Burns and Allen
            >
            > Jack Benny - Fred Allen
            >
            > Harry Lime
            >
            > If you could put forth some other ideas I would appreciate it.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Rick

          • Brandon Upson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30 12:10 PM
              The Whistler is a good one.

              I find I have tens of thousands of shows and have listened to about 60.
              I would appreciate so opinions on what are well written shows. The ones
              I felt that about in my very limited are

              21st Precinct

              Frontier Gentleman

              My Favorite Husband - Phil Harris and Alice Faye - Burns and Allen

              Jack Benny - Fred Allen

              Harry Lime

              If you could put forth some other ideas I would appreciate it.

              Thanks

              Rick

              If for some reason, you feel this group is not for you, you can easily
              unsubscribe from it by sending an email to:

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • phantom_ace_x1
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2002
                One off the top of my head is On Stage with Cathy and Elliott Lewis.
                Writers were Morton Fine and David Friedkan who wrote good stories
                from a wide variety of subjects.

                PH