45838Re: [OTRMP3] Suggestions for Hardware/Software?

  • Ron Sparks
    Jun 18, 2013

      Mike,

      Yes these programs are all available free for most versions of Linux. They are FOSS (Free Open Source Software) and the Audacity, ffmpeg and sox are all available for both Windows and Linux.

      EasyTag and Dolphin are Linux programs and don't have a Windows version IIRC.

      One nice thing about Linux is that it is available for many versions of hardware, including older Windows XP machines. It is a great way of recycling these machines which have no hardware problems, but run slow or are have operating systems which are no longer supported. A new operating system restores these older machines to the original speed - sometimes seeming faster than they did with Windows. If you are not going to be using Windows on the machine or it fouled up to the point it can't be recovered, it is usually best to let the installation routine use the entire hard-drive for Linux.

      Linux distributions are Free - as in Free Beer. You should never have to pay for a Linux operating system. The software is usually downloaded from the home page of the distribution as an iso file then burned to a disk. You may buy distribution disks if you can't download it some other way. In that case you will pay a small fee for the disc and shipping and handling.

      The software that runs on the system is also Free. There is no shareware, spyware, cracks etc. You are encouraged to donate to the developers if you feel so inclined, but it does not 'open up' any new features on the programs.

      Software availablility varies from distribution to distribution. Using a 'mainstream' distribution such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, etc are well supported by many useful and some pretty exotic programs.

      Most Linux distributions are available for both 32 and 64 bit machines. The 'i586' version is 32 bit and will run on any machine while the 'x86_64' is for newer, 64 bit machines. I am currently running a 64 bit version of Fedora on one of my older dual-core machines. I use it as a torrent seeder for various linux distributions and to process some OTR files using Audacity to clean up some files with out tying up my newer quad core machines. I've used old, single core pentium class machines with Linux with very acceptable results.

      Since most users are really only interested in browsing the web or some light word processing, there is no need to have a really heavy-duty processor if the operating system is not all clogged up with anti-spyware, anti-virus, etc monitors. Yes, you read that right - there is usually no need to have something like McAfee or Norton running. The way Linux permissions work, a normal user cannot do any harm to the system. The permissions for user 'root' are like System Administrators in Windows and all other users have restricted permissions for things like installing and removing software so getting a virus to infect a machine is not very likely.

      Remember "Google is your friend". You can find a lot of information about various flavors of Linux on the web.

      Repeating my link from earlier, here's a comparison of two popular distributions for new Linux users.

      http://lifehacker.com/5993297/ubuntu-vs-mint-which-linux-distro-is-better-for-beginners

      I've never used either one as they weren't available when I started using Linux and I've grown fond of the Mageia 3 I currently on use on my main machine and the Fedora I have on my server machine.

      Good luck on whatever you decide.

      Ron Sparks

      Gloversville, NY

      Registered Linux user #425339 since August 2006

      On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 03:59:52 AM you wrote:

      @ Ron:

      You said: "I use Audacity, ffmpeg, and sox for cleaning up the audio and EasyTag for the tags on OTR shows that I load on my mp3 player to play in the truck when I am working. I use Dolphin for a file manager which lets me plug my mp3 player in a USB port and just drag and drop the shows I want to load up, and remove the ones I've listened to."

      These programs sound like ones I would like to try.

      My concerns:

      I am using a pretty old (5-6 years old) Windows XP machine. Would these work okay on it (as far as you can tell)?

      Are they free or low cost programs?

      Are they newbie-friendly?

      Thanks.

      Mike