42294Re: British/English WW2 shows?

  • howstean
    Aug 5, 2008
      --- In oldradioshowsonmp3@yahoogroups.com, Mark H <mark_lists@...> wrote:
      > I don't think I have ever heard radio shows broadcast in Britain
      > during the war. U.S., yes, but not the U.K.
      > Given the stresses of the time I would think they would be of great
      > historical interest.
      > Anyone have any recommendations, or sources??
      > thnx,

      There aren't many shows around, Mark. There aren't transcription discs
      circulating in the UK, since there was only one broadcaster, the BBC.
      They recorded mainly historical programmes for posterity, while
      entertainment was considered of transient interest only. A few
      representative WW2 comedy shows survive, and BBC7 recently aired a
      1945 Sherlock Holmes.

      The snippets circulating are usually taken from later documentaries.
      It was a different broadcasting method entirely than the US disk-based
      system.

      For one thing, entertainment artist contracts allowed for one
      performance and in some cases, one or two repeats from disk. After the
      final repeat, the disks were of no value and were melted down for reuse.

      Later in the 50s both radio & TV master tapes were routinely recorded
      over, and this continued well into the 60s.

      Even in the 80s, a friend who worked for Transcription Services
      sending discs to foreign radio stations routinely spent his Saturdays
      on overtime breaking up LPs returned after their use expired. That's
      why several comedy shows exist only in TS LP versions.

      Regards
      howstean
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic