Garrett vs Minelab vs Whites vs Tesoro vs...

  • David Dorey
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2007
      Just interested in what people think is the best detector out there?
      I own three different ones currently and have had a couple in the
      past. I am thinking about buying a new one because I have not been
      completely satisfied yet. Personally I mainly relic hunt. My first
      detector was a Jetco Mustang that I saved my money as a kid to buy
      for $30 as I recall. My Dad still has his DTex from the late 60's. I
      used many in the past 30+ years and have never found one I really
      liked.

      I have a Garrett scorpion that I used briefly for gold in California
      and it's light weight and a decent detector with no visual screen.
      Just a basic detector far as I am concerned.

      I own a Garrett GTX which has been pretty good. It is light enough to
      use for a good while and seems fairly accurate. I still have a lot of
      problems with false signals and zeroing in is no small feat at times.
      I'd probably grab this one for most uses.

      I own a Minelab Quattro which is the most powerful detector I have
      ever owned but it chirps and blips almost non-stop which is annoying
      and more than anything, it weighs a ton after you use it for a while.
      I have to constantly change hands which gets old and your shoulders
      know you used it if you spend several hours with it. It is so
      powerful that at times it is hard to find the target because it could
      be anywhere in the top 8" or 10" depending on the size and how long
      it has been in the ground, content, etc.. If I did up one more .22
      bullet 8" deep I'll go bonkers because it takes a long time to find
      it and they look a lot like a pebble. I just wish it did not weigh so
      much more than anything.

      I am considering a Whites since they seem popular but I am in no
      hurry. Do you have a detector that you really like?
    • stoopstroop72
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2007
        My Minelab SE is the most accurate detector I have ever used. Its alot
        better about falseing than your Quattro. The weight balance is alot
        better on the new SE. With an 8" coil like I have its a very deadly
        combo.I have a sunray probe on it that is the best probe hands down.
        It uses the detectors descrimination and sounds thru you headphones
        and get about 2-3 inches depth. HUGE time saver.

        I have a new Fisher F75 also. it is a very light and deep machine.
        Once I learn it I may sell the SE. YES it may just be that good. Very
        good on small targets and recovers very fast.

        I have had a garrets and several Whites. IDX, MXT and played with many
        others. None of the whites have ever impressed me with depth. Light
        yes but depth of a minelab or my new Fisher, nope. Not saying whites
        aret a good detector, I just think there are better units for the $
        out there.

        HH,
        Stoops
      • Earl Welsh
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2007
          Hard to say what the best is. I use an ACE250 and I am happy with it. Still learning the in and outs and have been hitting the parks learning to pin point so I do not have to dig to big of a hole to get that pull tab.

          Earl
          David Dorey <david@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • warpfactor9_0
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2007
            From what I hear, if you're more into relic hunting, then possibly the
            Tesoro Tejonmight work best for you. I believe it's part of their new
            H.O.T. series and I've heard a lot of praise on this machine. Being
            lightweight, it should help get you through the day without wearing you
            out (with the exception of some deep digging). You can read the field
            test at the bottom of this link and see for yourself.

            http://www.tesoro.com/Tejon.html
          • Ron Newby
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2007
              There are a lot of detectors on the market but none of them work as well as most Minelab machines. The Quattro is an excellent detector but I have swung one also and they are heavy after awhile. Since you have a Minelab go back to your dealer and see about a Minelab X-terra 50 or X-terra 70. These machines are only 2.9 pounds and very easy to use. It is obvious that I like the Minelab detectors because they are just excellent detectors. No matter what you decide...Happy Hunting. Ron

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 22, 2007
                I have a GTI 2500 and love it. I haven't tried the other detectors so
                I can't comment on them. I know the ace 250 is a hot selling detector
                right know. I have read a lot about it and it seems to be a very good
                performer. The 2500 performs excellent. I got out the other day and
                found some clad in a real trashy area. Had to slow the scan speed
                down. I was using the stock imaging coil. Need to get the small coil
                for those areas.............Bill
              • Earl Welsh