Re: Ice storm dadgummit

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2007
      Hi Larry and others,

      Is it cold enough for everybody? No? Just hang on for a few more
      days; they're predicting 5 degrees for Tuesday night. Pretty darn
      cold for these parts. I'm hoping like others not to lose power.
      We're on a well here, so when power goes, so does the water; and then
      it's bad news bears.

      Larry, being in the Pauls Valley area you may already be familiar
      with a book titled: HE MADE IT SAFE TO MURDER by Howard K. Berry.
      It's the story of self-made defense attorney Moman Pruitt. He spent
      a lot of time in your area when the state was young. As I recall he
      talks a lot about where folks gathered in and around Pauls Valley
      back in the olden days. Might be worth checking out at the library.
      This book must be out of print because I checked on eBay and there is
      only one copy for sale for $100.

      I wanted to share a web site with everybody that you might find
      interesting. It's the top 20 gold nuggets found in Alaska. One
      lucky fellow found a nearly 34-ounce nugget with his metal detector.
      Check it out at: http://www.akmining.com/mine/nuggets.htm

      Later………….

      Mike

      --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry"
      <lkillebrew1@...> wrote:

      > We are in the midst of a winter ice storm. I hope we dont loose
      power!
      > I really wanted to go down to the river and do a little hiking-
      huntiing-
      > detecting. Guess I will pass on that for a couple of weeks. Perhaps
      > will go to the library and dig around for an old map or read some
      old
      > newspapers or something. If I hang around here the wife will get me
      > busy cleaning out from under the sink!
      >
      > Friend of mine bought a new Whites XXX or something. I cant wait to
      > hunt with him and see this machine work. I am told you can tell
      heads
      > or tails, the year the coin was minted, and get close to the year
      it
      > was lost! All my Tesoro will do is beep and burp.
      >
      > I have spent most of the last two weekends adding to my pulltab and
      > foil collection. In another couple of years the Ripleys and the
      Guiness
      > folks will be slugging it out for rights to my collection. There is
      > some stiff competition going... couple of guys in Tulsa have a
      website
      > called buriedcrap.com. At this point they are ahead of me, but it
      > shouldn't take too long to pass them.
      >
      > have a good day
      > Larry

    • Larry
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2007
        As I recall the only murder case Moman lost was to the lynchers that
        hung four rowdies in Ada.

        Another good book about pre-statehood central Oklahoma history and
        locations is Chickasaw Rancher, Biography of Montford Johnson by Neil
        Johnson and C Neil Kingsley.

        --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"