Re: New file uploaded to oklahomametaldetectingclub

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006
      Thanks Larry.

      I've uploaded a file (Discrimination Chart) which may have some
      benefit. As you can see the there is a conductive difference between
      the the older copper pennies and the newer zinc cents; although not
      much. Hence my question about the date on your test penny.

      I keep the optional 5.75" coil on my Vaquero 90% of the time for the
      very reasons we're discussing. The good folks at Tesoro have no idea
      what type of hunting a their customers will be doing, so they put
      an "all purpose" coil in the box with their detectors. Most
      detectorists I know hunt parks, schoolyards, and others areas that
      contain a lot of trash. Getting your coil over more than one target
      at a time can drive a anyone crazy. A smaller coil will help isolate
      some of these targets with only a small loss in depth IMO. Some folks
      are into hunting Civil War battlefields looking for relics in a very
      large area. These guys will swear by their large Wide-Scan coils that
      cover a lot of ground quickly and get maximum depth. The point is:
      don't limit yourself by thinking that the coil that came with your
      machine is the best one suited for your type of hunting.

      I see your in South Central Oklahoma and want to tell you about one
      of my better finds while hunting in Kingston a few years ago. I was
      hunting just a few feet South of the Railroad Tracks where there are
      some concrete structures that were probably loading docks for rail
      cars many years ago. It's an area where the city is/was doing some
      landscaping to help beautify the area. I found a nice 1901 Quarter
      there. I was in soil that was very loosely compacted so I'm sure it
      was in some that was brought in for landscaping. That area might be
      worth checking out for you folks that live near there.

      HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

      --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry"