Re: [Oklahoma Metal Detecting Club] Hello from OKC - Long post!

  • Earl Welsh
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2006
      Sounds like you had a great time and found some wheaties, that is always a good start. I have been detecting for about 2 months and have yet to find silver or wheat pennies. Let us know what you find at the new site you picked out.

      Earl

      Anthony <tone405@...> wrote:
      Been viewing the posts for a few days now, and thought I should say
      hi. I inherited a Tesoro Toltec II from my grandfather. He was a
      detector down around Roosevelt, OK (Close to Hobart in Kiowa County).
      He left the original receipt (Waynes here in OKC) as well as a range
      and township map of Kiowa county with a few spots pre-marked.

      I know I enjoy hearing stories about peoples' finds and wanted to
      share mine.

      I work from home and found myself bored to tears one day a month or
      so ago. I remembered my grandpa's detector and decided I'd go out and
      try it. After a short trip for batteries and gathering of some
      digging equipment, I headed to the empty lot next door where a house
      had burned down years ago. This subdivision was on a 1909 map (around
      the old town of Britton).

      I had just planned to dig no matter what I found. I didn't know
      exactly how the controls worked, even though I read the manual at
      least 10 times. Low and behold my first target that I dug was some
      sort of US Army Medallion. Possibly from an old medal or something.
      Not far from that was an old "Sweatheart" locket. Then I started
      finding lots of trash.. Nails, pieces of fence. I went to
      discriminate mode and cranked it up pretty high. Found nice solid
      tones that ended up to be Wheat pennies. In all, I've probably pulled
      20+ wheaties from that lot and the lot to my west. The oldest being a
      1937-S. It's only a matter of time before I pull up something silver.
      Along with those, I found a 1967 Dime that I thought for sure was
      much newer, as it was shining like new. A couple cheap toy rings, a
      1963 Mexican Cinco Centavos, some play money, and 2 car keys. Not to
      mention lots of clad coins.

      Just goes to show you that you can find some really cool stuff right
      in your backyard!

      As for the maps from grandpa.. We went down last weekend and found
      that it's very tough to find these old town sites he marked. Maybe
      when I have more than 1/2 a day to drive around to find these places
      I'll find some time to hit them well.

      Next target is a little section in Logan county with an old
      homestead, part of the old C.R.I & P. railroad, and a creek bed. I
      tried the railroad before, but was a little close to a recent dump,
      so I'm going to go on down the line. I'll let you all know how it
      goes!

      Anthony, NW Oklahoma City

      Yahoo! Groups Links