Re: Help

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2006
      --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "stormy1954"
      <medora86@...> wrote:

      > Can someone recommend a detector? It sounds as I will be doing the
      same
      > as most of you. What brand? if any certain? Also, I dont want it so
      > complicated I wouldn't be able to use it.
      > Does the group have meetings and get together to hunt?
      > Thanks
      > Trish

      Hi Trish,

      What I recommend for most people is to take a trip to a detector
      shop and talk to someone that really knows about all the brands and
      their features. It's where you can also try out a few before you buy
      one. If you happen to live in central Oklahoma, I recommend Wayne's
      detector sales on the South side of the city. I bought my first
      detector from Wayne back in 97. He is an expert in my opinion on
      detectors. He's been detecting for a long, long time. The last time I
      was in there, he was training his son to take over the business so he
      can retire. Very nice guys, both of them.

      Most brands have several models and price ranges to meet your
      needs. You do not have to spend a lot of money for a high-end model
      to be successful in this hobby.

      My detectors are TESORO's of which I have three. I can't compare
      them to any others, because I've owned no others. I like the fact that
      TESORO is an American owned family operation out of Prescott, Arizona.
      Their Customer Service is first rate, and all of their detectors have
      a lifetime warranty. Does this mean their's are better than the
      others? Certainly not. All the major brands make good quality
      detectors or they would not stay in business very long. MINELAB
      detectors are considered the "cadillac" of detectors by most. Pricey
      though. One place NOT to buy a detector is Radio Shack. The detectors
      they sell are junk!

      Well, that's my two cents worth. Oh, and as far as the group
      having meetings or get-together's? None that I know of. We just use
      this forum as a place to swap stories and show off our finds. Having
      the word "Club" in the title of this forum is really a misnomer. Good
      luck to you Trish, and let us know what you decide.