Re: [Oklahoma Metal Detecting Club] Metal Detecting Vacation

  • Ron Newby
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2006
      I am glad to read your message. This is exactly what causes the autorities to shut down metal detecting because it becomes a safety hazard for others. Since most detector coils have "fill in your holes" stickers then that is what all should do. Unfortunately, there is always a bad detectorist. Ron

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2006
        Howdy Chris... Over the years I have seen the same thing you have
        described many times. I have been hunting since the late 60's. Right
        up front I will tell you I dont like cleaning other folks messes up.
        But when I have come across something I know that some one with a
        detector has created I have filled the holes up my self. Kinda like
        picken up other folks trash. I dont like it at all. But if some one
        sees me in an area with my machine then see a bunch of holes there who
        are they gonna blame. There gonna blame me of course. These days I
        dont hunt many public places. I prefer private property looking for
        silver an gold along with burried treasure. And I always fill my holes
        in. This winter Im hopeing I get to go to Arizona to do some nugget
        hunting. I know cleaning up other folks messes is distasteful but if we
        dont we are going to end up looseing our hobby. This is only my
        opinion. Good luck to you all. Buck Rogers
        --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "chris" <wpd379@...>
        wrote:

        > Good to see people writing messages again. This site was kinda
        > boring this summer.
        > I got to beach hunt for the first time during vacation at Canton
        > lake. Several friends told me the beach at Canton lake had been hit by
        > several metal detector's after they dropped the lake. My friends must
        > have been right. I spent 20 hours on the beach and found several clad
        > coins I still had a good time. I had better luck at the camp sites
        > where coins were easy to find and lots of them.
        > By the way I have been detecting for 8 month's now and have read
        > many messages concerning covering holes back up. On one of the
        > secluded beachs I walked out and seen 40 or 50 big holes big enough to
        > put buckets in. It was a ugly site. I knew it was a metal detector
        > type person. The metal trash they dug was thrown down by the hole.
        > This one bad person sure makes the rest of us look bad.
        > Any way I always have a good time with my detector and I really
        > like reading about every body else's experinces so keep writing and
        > posting messages.
        > Have fun detecting.

      • ottokin1
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2006
          Hello fellow detectors, I'm new to this group. I live in Rehoboth
          Beach, Delaware and try to get on the surf at least 3-4 times a week.
          I have had little luck this summer finding anything but clad coins. I
          have found numerous pieces of broken metal that looks like brass but
          I'm not to sure of what it is ????? There are many many 18th & 19th
          century ship wrecks just off the coast and I am afraid to discard the
          pieces since they maybe from an old ship that went down. I will try
          going to the local shipwreck museum and see if they can help me
          figure out what they are. I found them just after the last 2
          hurricanes went up north out at sea but brought very rough surf to
          the area. I will post pictures of the items soon and maybe someone
          with this club can help me figure out what they may be.

          Once again, I want to say hello to you all...