Re: Need Information on Good Brand of Metal Dectector

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2006
      Hi Dianne and Stan,

      I own three Tesoro's and they have served me well. I've owned no
      others so I cannot personally compare them to any other brand. Most
      will agree Tesoro's lifetime warranty and customer service have no
      equal. I have heard (and occasionally seen) someone with a lot of
      experience with a lower-end unit, out hunt others with high-end
      models. You stated that " we have had no real experience or traning
      on how to use them. The man showed me very little it didn't help.
      Very frustrating trying to learn". You may find that if you learn
      your Garrett's detectors, they may work well for you. I ran into a
      guy at Lake Thunderbird last fall with a Garrett's machine, he had
      two big handfulls of coins and several rings. He was searching in
      about 1 to 2 feet of water. He was a detectorist with a lot of
      experience and he liked Garrett's. If I were you, I'd reconsider
      trying to really learn how to use the Garrett's machines that you
      already own. This will take some serious time and effort on your
      part. I will agree with others that Minelab's are considered top of
      the line machines. Kinda pricey though. White's has a very good
      reputation also. All have a learning curve. I wish you both the
      very best luck in your endeavor. Let us know waht you find.

      --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dianne & Stan"
      <ddflow@...> wrote:

      > Hi,I joined the group little while back so I am a new at this.I
      have a
      > question to ask opinions on metal detectors.My husband & I are
      trying
      > to get retired ( not working fast enough ). We have a place by
      > Texhoma,we love to hunt the beaches walk and look, rocks,
      > arrowheads,just about anything! I have my Grandfathers OLD OLD
      > detector.Not good! Then last summer I bought 2 from a guy (from
      New
      > York)they were Garrets.I am not sure they are any good plus we
      have had
      > no real experience or traning on how to use them. The man showed
      me
      > very little it didn't help. Very frustrating trying to learn, I
      also
      > got the manuels & we didn't get any further.We also have no
      > headphones.I paid him $300. for the both which was a good step for
      me
      > to do but it was going to be something we could both do for
      enjoyment.I
      > would like to get us another one & don't want to make the same
      costly
      > mistake.Any sugestions? also on headphones. I have looked on e-bay
      many
      > times but just not sure. Thanks so much for any help. Dianne &
      Stan

    • Buck Rogers
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2006
        Dianne....There are a lot of older machines out there. Last year I even
        saw a couple of BFO's in a pawn shop. BFO's are one of the first types
        of detectors we hunted with. In there day they were good. I like the
        Garrett an have owned 3 of them. I started useing a detector back in
        the 1960's and have owned over 20 in my life of differant Brands. I
        still use the old GMCX2 but it is a 1990 machine. It works pretty good
        even by todays standard. In my opinion you just need some one to show
        you how to use what you have or some one to look at what you have as
        some of the older stuff is more trouble than its worth. Post a picture
        if you want of the machine an a close up of the control box that would
        give some of us an idea of what you are trying to work with. Buck