Re: [Oklahoma Metal Detecting Club] any one know

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2005
      Okay I think my computer ate my reply. If it goes twice sorry.
      Thanks David I have a chance to buy it brand new from my bother in
      law who won it at a hunt for 700 that is a good price from what I see
      on it.
      I can't work but about 30 to 45 minutes because of health so the
      heavy part I don't think will be an issue.
      Now the complex part might be I'm not a complex person lol. I might
      not never get the hang of it then buy maybe nephew will. He is good
      with his old cheap one he can tell the difference in the sound it
      makes mine I can't tell any difference with it. We went to the TTTHC
      yesterday and he got a two tokens and all together he got 26 planted
      coins. Me I got maybe 10 2 quarters (new ones) 4 wheat pennies and
      maybe 8 old dimes. Together we came home with 22 old dimes. We had
      fun was a wonderful day weather wise. What I have seen it says to get
      the book by Andy Sabisch is that the one your talking about?

      --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "david"
      <david@d...> wrote:
      > I recently purchased a Quattro and it is very powerful to be sure.
      I keep
      > finding .22 bullets with it (which are a lot of fun trying to
      actually
      > locate in the dirt). It is very different than a lot of detectors
      since it
      > makes different sounds based upon what it goes over. It is easily
      the most
      > complex detector I have ever owned.
      >

      > It is very powerful as far as I have found. Goes deep and sends
      back good
      > information on what you are over. The main thing I do not like is
      that it is
      > easily the heaviest detector I have ever owned and if you swing it
      for a few
      > hours, you will definitely know you have been using your arms.
      >

      > It is easily a great one for different types of soil. You have to
      allow it
      > to select the optimal channel before you use it (takes about 20
      seconds or
      > so). If you get it, I highly recommend getting the book about it as
      well. If
      > you have any further questions, feel free to write me at david@d...
      >

      > I did a lot of research before ending up with the Quattro.DMD
      >

      > _____

      Sharon
      > Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 7:37 PM
      > To: oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Oklahoma Metal Detecting Club] any one know
      >

      > aboyt a mine lab quattro I have a chance to buy a new one and would
      > like to know if it's worth the money
      >

      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      subject=Unsub
      > scribe>

    • david
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25, 2005
        I bought mine from Kellyco.com for about $850 as I recall. I did a lot of
        research to find a detector that was the most powerful and that could handle
        a lot of different ground conditions well. I mainly like to relic hunt out
        in the woods and such and it kills me to think I would miss anything.

        It is not really all that complex once you understand it. The Sabisch book
        is the one I am talking about - it is really quite good and covers the four
        modes (hence "Quattro") of coins/coins&jewelry/relics/all-metal. The biggest
        difference is that you have to depress the button to find the best channels
        to be using. It takes 20 to 30 seconds and they say you should press it
        every so often to make sure you are in the right channel. It also makes sure
        that the readout is always correct.

        It is very powerful - any more and that is just a lot of digging to do! The
        pinpointing is not too bad once you get the hang of it. The pinpoint feature
        to it is actually pretty good. Since I keep hitting tiny bullets, I've been
        digging more than I want but having a handheld pinpointer is a life-saver.
        The different thing to always remember is that it is not like a normal coil
        that is oval shaped like you may be used to. The "Double D" coil is oval in
        shape, but the search pattern it puts down is like a 3" wide "blade" that
        goes down vertically in front of you. Like swinging a thick book underground
        and it pings off on what hits that "book" shape.

        Mine has the 10" coil which is a pretty big search area when you are hitting
        stupid bullets. It took a bit of time but using the Sabisch book and some
        practice, I can pinpoint as well with my Minelab as I can with my Garrett.

        I have gotten a lot of false signals - ones that appear and disappear or
        that sound off once only and never again. I have a Garrett that does that
        some as well. I've been going to Oklahoma for civil war stuff which puts me
        in areas with little trash but lots of iron stuff like square nails. The
        readout is in numbers and you have to remember what a -10 or a 36 is but
        that comes pretty quick.

        It is definitely powerful. I am glad I bought mine, I just wish it was not
        as heavy since I have to keep changing hands after a while. All my research
        pointed to that being about the most powerful and best relic machine. Good
        luck!...DMD

        _____

        <david@d...> wrote:
        > I recently purchased a Quattro and it is very powerful to be sure.
        I keep
        > finding .22 bullets with it (which are a lot of fun trying to
        actually
        > locate in the dirt). It is very different than a lot of detectors
        since it
        > makes different sounds based upon what it goes over. It is easily
        the most
        > complex detector I have ever owned.
        >

        > It is very powerful as far as I have found. Goes deep and sends
        back good
        > information on what you are over. The main thing I do not like is
        that it is
        > easily the heaviest detector I have ever owned and if you swing it
        for a few
        > hours, you will definitely know you have been using your arms.
        >

        > It is easily a great one for different types of soil. You have to
        allow it
        > to select the optimal channel before you use it (takes about 20
        seconds or
        > so). If you get it, I highly recommend getting the book about it as
        well. If
        > you have any further questions, feel free to write me at david@d...
        >

        > I did a lot of research before ending up with the Quattro.DMD
        >

        > _____

        subject=Unsub
        > scribe>

        _____