Re: [Oklahoma Metal Detecting Club] new member

  • dpdave38
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2005
      HELLO CHEROKKE 74960, DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP YOU, BUT I WILL TRY. I HAVE A WHITE'S DFX (I USE IT MAINLY ON THE GROUND) AND A TESORO TIGER SHARK (I USE IT MAINLY IN THE WATER), SO THESE ARE THE BRANDS, AND MODELS THAT I AM FAMILIAR WITH. AS FAR AS I KNOW, THEY ALL WORK WITH DISCRIMINATION AS THE KEY FACTOR. THE LOWER YOU SET IT, THE MORE STUFF YOU WILL FIND(JUNK INCLUDED). I READ SOMEWHERE THAT THINGS LOST RECENTLY ARE HARDER TO FIND BECAUSE THEY NEED TO OXIDIZE FOR BETTER CONDUCTIVITY. SO MY ADVICE, WOULD BE TO SET YOUR DISCRIMINATION AS LOW AS YOU CAN STAND. YOU CAN TEST THIS BY PUTTING SEVERAL COINS ON THE GROUND, IN A CLEAN SPOT (NO OTHER CONDUCTIVE MATERIALS), SILVER AND COPPER WILL BE EASY TO FIND, NICKELS ARE HARDER,AND GOLD WILL BE ABOUT LIKE FINDING A PIECE OF ALUMINUM FOIL. THE OTHER THING, THAT I WOULD TELL YOU, IS THAT EXPERIENCE IS NEEDED, AND THE ONLY PLACE YOU CAN GET THIS IS OUT IN THE FIELD. SO GO HUNT, I GO BACK TO THE SAME SPOTS ALL THE TIME, I OFTEN ASK MYSELF WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE AGAIN, BUT WHEN I LEAVE WITH ANOTHER GOOD COIN OR RING, I KNOW THE ANSWER. DON'T JUST WALK AN AREA IN ONE DIRECTION, AND THINK THAT YOU GOT EVERYTHING THAT IS THIER, BECAUSE THINGS GET BURIED IN THE GROUND IN EVERY ANGLE THAT YOU CAN DREAM OF. I HAVE FOUND A MANY OF COIN, STANDING ON IT'S EDGE, ONE WAS A MERCURY DIME (1941) IN A CITY PARK ,THAT I KNEW HAD BEEN HUNTED TO DEATH. I HAD HUNTED THE SAME SPOT THE DAY BEFORE, AND MISSED IT. I HAVE SINCE BEEN BACK TO THE SAME CITY PARK AND FOUND A (1916) WHEAT PENNY AND LOTS OF OTHER COINS THAT I AM SURE DIDN'T JUST GET THEIR BETWEEN MY TRIPS. OTHER THINGS THAT CAN CHANGE THINGS IS THE MOISTURE IN THE GROUND(OR LACK OF), AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR GROUND BALANCE ADJUSTED RIGHT, THIS WILL CHANGE THE OUT COME OF YOUR TRIP. YOUR METAL DETECTOR MAY HAVE SOME PROGRAMS THAT TAKE CARE OF THE GROUND BALANCE AND DISCRIMINATION FOR YOU. ONE OF MINE DOES AND THE OTHER DON'T. IF YOU KNOW ANYBODY IN YOUR AREA THAT HAS A DETECTOR, TRY HUNTING WITH THEM SOME YOU COULD LEARN OR EVEN TEACH THEM SOMETHING. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE A COINSHOOTER, RELIC OR GOLD HUNTER, MAYBE YOU ARE JUST LIKE ME AND LIKE TO GET OUTDOORS, IT'S ALL FUN TO ME. ONE OTHER THING THAT MIGHT HELP YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR DETECTOR MORE, MIGHT BE TO CALL, TIGERTIMET, HE HAS PLANS OF A LITTLE GET TOGETHER WITH AS MANY PEOPLE THAT CAN MAKE IT TO BARTLESVILLE, A GOOD CHANCE YOU COULD GET SOME ON HAND HELP THEIR. HIS PHONE NUMBER IS 918 336 5135, AND HIS NAME IS TONY. GOOD LUCK, HOPE THIS HAS HELPED IN SOME WAY.

      DPDAVE38