New file uploaded to oklahomametaldetectingclub

  • oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.c
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2003
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the oklahomametaldetectingclub
      group.

      File : /Click here for a great dating service
      Uploaded by : jugilicura9917
      Description : Browse through singles

      You can access this file at the URL

      Regards,

      jugilicura9917
    • oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.c
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 27, 2006
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the oklahomametaldetectingclub
        group.

        File : /tesoro depth.xls
        Uploaded by : ldk1959 <Lkillebrew1@...>
        Description : Depth, Descrim Test

        ldk1959 <Lkillebrew1@...>
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2006
          --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com,
          oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > Hello,

          > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the
          oklahomametaldetectingclub
          > group.
          >
          > File : /tesoro depth.xls
          > Uploaded by : ldk1959 <Lkillebrew1@...>
          > Description : Depth, Descrim Test
          >
          > You can access this file at the URL:

          20depth.xls

          > Regards,
          >
          > ldk1959 <Lkillebrew1@...>

          Good info Larry, thanks for sharing it with us. A lot to digest.

          I also have a Vaquero, although I don't use it much. I've got an
          older Bandito uMax I've had since 97 that I put most of my faith in.
          I need to spend more time with the Vaquero so your chart is of
          particular interest to me.

          I do have 3 questions. While performing the Air Tests:

          1 = Did you use the standard 9 X 8 elliptical coil?

          2 = Was the copper penny used an older (pre 82) 97% copper penny or a
          newer copper coated zinc cent?

          And......

          3 = What is your overall impression of the Vaquero? In comparison to
          the older detectors it seems "noisy" to me.

          It seems detectors are a lot like women. The more sensitive they are;
          the more noisy and unstable they are. (Just joking ladies)
        • Larry
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2006
            Hope it helps, twas an effort to try to learn the characteristics of
            this machine. Son-In-Law is out shooting me 2 to 1 on coins, he is
            using a $150.00 bounty hunter. I have to figure out how to eliminate
            some of the junk I am digging! umm it was a semi scientific test
            frought with human and feline error, the cat decided the yard stick
            was a kitty springboard... reset yard stick 3 or 4 times,
            measurements may vary as much as an inch.

            1. Std 9x8 coil, am thinking smaller coil might settle this beast a
            bit. Don't know, what are your thoughts?

            2. Newer penny, 2005... didnt even think about the copper content,
            pulled one out of my pocket, glued it to paint stick and started the
            test. Duh! It didnt occur to me to check date.

            3. Overall impression, Vaquero is light, sensitive, knobs all work,
            lifetime warantee and price sold me. It hits on a lot of stuff...
            this may sound like an oxymoron, but it picks up too much. At least
            for the sites I have searched.

            The Vaquero is great for relic hunters, it is not as good for coin
            shooters. I have limited expereince so bear that in mind... I have
            used it on five outings so far, I have not been able to descriminate
            out all (or even much) of the junk... even with descrim turned all
            the way up and sensitivity all the way down I still get false signals
            on rusted iron.

            The ground balance could be frustrating, but is easily mastered after
            a couple of outings and some experimenting... Manual ground balance
            was a selling point to me. I want to tune and tweak, the more knobs
            the better for me. It just takes a while to learn what tuning and
            tweaking can do and cant do.

            I cannot compare this to my old detector as that one was a micronta
            late 70's model that I used to find electrical boxes covered by
            sheetrock crews on my jobs... I hunted scrap metal a little but not
            enough to be an expert at all.

            I would be and should be considered a novice at metal detecting so
            take my opinions with a grain of salt. It would have been easier to
            have saved my money and bought a Whites with the screen that tells
            you what might be down there and how deep it might be. Would be
            easier on beginners than trying to learn what the tone for depth and
            small target sounded like.

            I am confident that I will get this machine figured out, it is taking
            longer than I expected... I may be a slow learner. Just gripes me
            that a $150.00 detector and a 22 yr old kid is kicking my butt on
            coins. That will change I have something working in my favor... Old
            age and treachery will beat youth and inexperience in the long run.

            Next time we go out, I am salting the field with newer pennies and
            sending him after them. That way I can bide my time and find a few
            nice targets while he is digging 2005 pennies... poor kid, thats what
            he gets for sleeping with my daughter.

            Larry

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006
              Hello,

              a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the oklahomametaldetectingclub
              group.

              File : /Descrimination Chart.bmp
              Uploaded by : soonersharpshooter <mikem05@...>
              Description : Discrimination Chart

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 31, 2006
                Thanks Larry.

                I've uploaded a file (Discrimination Chart) which may have some
                benefit. As you can see the there is a conductive difference between
                the the older copper pennies and the newer zinc cents; although not
                much. Hence my question about the date on your test penny.

                I keep the optional 5.75" coil on my Vaquero 90% of the time for the
                very reasons we're discussing. The good folks at Tesoro have no idea
                what type of hunting a their customers will be doing, so they put
                an "all purpose" coil in the box with their detectors. Most
                detectorists I know hunt parks, schoolyards, and others areas that
                contain a lot of trash. Getting your coil over more than one target
                at a time can drive a anyone crazy. A smaller coil will help isolate
                some of these targets with only a small loss in depth IMO. Some folks
                are into hunting Civil War battlefields looking for relics in a very
                large area. These guys will swear by their large Wide-Scan coils that
                cover a lot of ground quickly and get maximum depth. The point is:
                don't limit yourself by thinking that the coil that came with your
                machine is the best one suited for your type of hunting.

                I see your in South Central Oklahoma and want to tell you about one
                of my better finds while hunting in Kingston a few years ago. I was
                hunting just a few feet South of the Railroad Tracks where there are
                some concrete structures that were probably loading docks for rail
                cars many years ago. It's an area where the city is/was doing some
                landscaping to help beautify the area. I found a nice 1901 Quarter
                there. I was in soil that was very loosely compacted so I'm sure it
                was in some that was brought in for landscaping. That area might be
                worth checking out for you folks that live near there.

                HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

                --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry"