Re: a very interested newy

  • buriedcrap
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2003
      Hi Tom,

      I'm a newbie too so here's my take on what to buy. As with any
      hobby, it really depends on 1) your budget and 2) resale values of
      equipment. I bought a DFX right off the bat and am really, really
      enjoying the unit. Unlike my tecting buddy, I decided to buy the
      MOST expensive detector I could afford for a these reasons:

      1) I can afford it.
      2) The resale value on White's detectors is EXCELLENT. You can use a
      DFX for a few months and lose very little money if you decide to sell
      it. Several years ago I owned a White's 5900i for 2 years and sold
      it on Ebay for about $50 less than what I paid for it new.
      3) I like to use the best equipment I can afford in anything I do. To
      me, it enhances whatever I'm doing and makes the hobby a pleasure. I
      do realize, however, that some people can't afford the high-end
      equipment, so I'd just say buy the best you can afford.

      I have not regretted buying top-of-the-line equipment. I'd suggest
      going over to Treasure Electronics (31st street) and getting a demo
      of the White's machines. They are VERY well built and have a
      TRANSFERRABLE 2-year warranty. This is a BIG plus if you decide you
      don't really like metal detecting and decide to sell the detector
      later.

      Just my two cents.

      p.s. I live in Broken Arrow