a very interested newy

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
      Hi everybody,my ame is tom.I live in tulsa.I am a 54 single man that
      has been interested in metal detecting for a long time now but kind
      of leary on where and how to get started.I would like to find
      different opinions on where to begin and with what kkind of
      equipment.Where to go to look at and maybe purchase the things
      needed if they are with in my budget.Any and all responses would be
      greatly appreciated.Thank you all for helpig me get started and
      sharing your knowledge and experiences with me
      Tom
    • dullhawk
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
        --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom"
        <twisted5401@y...> wrote:
        > Hi everybody,my ame is tom...

        Tom, my advice is not to go out and buy the fanciest detector there
        is just yet. Stay with a moderately inexpensive detector that is
        good for all around use to start out with. I see people jump out
        there and buy a $1000.00 Minelab that is the best gold hunter there
        is and then end up enjoying relic hunting more. Find out what
        detecting you enjoy the most with your medium quality detector than
        go after the one that best suits your needs. Take a look around your
        area and see what places may have potential. Look at local swimming
        holes for beach combing, look at stadiums under the bleachers for
        coin shooting, old farm houses for relic hunting etc. Try it all out
        and after a year or so you can look back and see what experiences
        were more enjoyable for you. When you figure that out, then start
        investing in more gear etc. Hope this info helps.

        dullhawk
      • tom chandler
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
          dullhawk,thank you so very much for your reply.i live in tulsa would you happen to know of anyplace that is reputable to start looking for equipment to price and maybe get started? hope to hear from you soon thanks again
          Tom

          <twisted5401@y...> wrote:
          > Hi everybody,my ame is tom...

          Tom, my advice is not to go out and buy the fanciest detector there
          is just yet. Stay with a moderately inexpensive detector that is
          good for all around use to start out with. I see people jump out
          there and buy a $1000.00 Minelab that is the best gold hunter there
          is and then end up enjoying relic hunting more. Find out what
          detecting you enjoy the most with your medium quality detector than
          go after the one that best suits your needs. Take a look around your
          area and see what places may have potential. Look at local swimming
          holes for beach combing, look at stadiums under the bleachers for
          coin shooting, old farm houses for relic hunting etc. Try it all out
          and after a year or so you can look back and see what experiences
          were more enjoyable for you. When you figure that out, then start
          investing in more gear etc. Hope this info helps.

          dullhawk

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Kent Hallsten
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29, 2003
            Tom, I pulled these clubs in Tulsa off this website, check it out.

            http://www.losttreasure.com/

            And also dullhawk is right about keeping it simple in the beginning. I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, easy machine and not too bad for the money. You can get it for maybe $200 on e-bay. I got mine at Academy Sports for $199.

            Later on if the hobby is for you, you will get the bug for a nice machine! I got my eye on White's XLT myself.

            Tulsa

            Indian Territory Treasure Hunters Club, Inc.
            Bob Freeman,
            1732 E. 31st St
            Tulsa, OK 74105
            918-747-3438
            webmaster@...
            http://www.itthc.com

            Tulsa
            Tulsey Town Treasure Hunters Club
            Clark Shilling,
            3523 W. Admiral Ct.
            Tulsa, OK 74115

            Tulsa
            Three Forks Treasure Hunters Club
            Richard Wallace,
            216 S. Harvard
            Tulsa, OK 74112

            wallace1@...

            Tulsa
            Three Forks Treasure Hunters
            Chuck Marcum,
            7111 S. Utica Ave #706
            Tulsa, Ok 74136
            (918)-495-0867
            graytcote@...

            Kent Hallsten

          • tom chandler

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 30, 2003
                Hi Tom,

                I'm a newbie too so here's my take on what to buy. As with any
                hobby, it really depends on 1) your budget and 2) resale values of
                equipment. I bought a DFX right off the bat and am really, really
                enjoying the unit. Unlike my tecting buddy, I decided to buy the
                MOST expensive detector I could afford for a these reasons:

                1) I can afford it.
                2) The resale value on White's detectors is EXCELLENT. You can use a
                DFX for a few months and lose very little money if you decide to sell
                it. Several years ago I owned a White's 5900i for 2 years and sold
                it on Ebay for about $50 less than what I paid for it new.
                3) I like to use the best equipment I can afford in anything I do. To
                me, it enhances whatever I'm doing and makes the hobby a pleasure. I
                do realize, however, that some people can't afford the high-end
                equipment, so I'd just say buy the best you can afford.

                I have not regretted buying top-of-the-line equipment. I'd suggest
                going over to Treasure Electronics (31st street) and getting a demo
                of the White's machines. They are VERY well built and have a
                TRANSFERRABLE 2-year warranty. This is a BIG plus if you decide you
                don't really like metal detecting and decide to sell the detector
                later.

                Just my two cents.

                p.s. I live in Broken Arrow