Rain ! Thank you!

  • pietbuilder
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2003
      Getting a bit of rain today to soften the ground. Great, about time.
      I have been searching a high school nearby (Putnam City) and found
      the usual trash, small change and a single silver earring with
      turquoise stones. Nice!

      Sometimes with the dry ground I found it easy to dig, as it was
      powdery, or it came up in chunks which could be easily broken apart.
      Or it was hard , hard , hard! That's our OK red dirt for you.

      Last night decided to hunt the backyard again. I have a Bounty Hunter
      Quick Draw II. It's a good beginners machine. Anyway, I have been
      using less discrimination lately. I decided to dig a solid
      iron/nickel signal 6" down. After digging a bit and eventually
      getting a real shovel from the garage I pulled up a twisted piece of
      sheetmetal about the size of a small pumpkin. Oh well.

      I got a chance to take my detector to the New Jersey shore this
      summer. It worked great in the dry sand getting all the coins it
      passed over. Also all the foil and trash. I used low discrimination
      just to knock out the iron. I didn't find any jewelry. The QD would
      send out false signals in the salt water or very wet sand, no matter
      where the sensitivity was set. It sure would be nice to have a real
      beach machine, but most of my hunting is up top in the sand anyway.

      My next outing is a middle school nearby that has a bit of
      construction going on near the ball fields. Hope to snag a pocket
      full there.

      Happy Hunting!

      Kent in OKC
    • shelby
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2003
        hi to all . nice to here Kent yeah i search'd my frontyard and i
        found a 1926 dogtag the #111 and a female dog thought that was
        preety cool and a found a 22. shell casing that is a lil bit longer
        than 22. casing's today oh and a i found a lil SQ.token that has
        Dept. of finance 1 1/2 in the midile and state of illinois at the
        bottem
        --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "pietbuilder"
        <pietbuilder@y...> wrote:
        > Getting a bit of rain today to soften the ground. Great, about
        time.
        > I have been searching a high school nearby (Putnam City) and found
        > the usual trash, small change and a single silver earring with
        > turquoise stones. Nice!
        >
        > Sometimes with the dry ground I found it easy to dig, as it was
        > powdery, or it came up in chunks which could be easily broken
        apart.
        > Or it was hard , hard , hard! That's our OK red dirt for you.
        >
        > Last night decided to hunt the backyard again. I have a Bounty
        Hunter
        > Quick Draw II. It's a good beginners machine. Anyway, I have been
        > using less discrimination lately. I decided to dig a solid
        > iron/nickel signal 6" down. After digging a bit and eventually
        > getting a real shovel from the garage I pulled up a twisted piece
        of
        > sheetmetal about the size of a small pumpkin. Oh well.
        >
        > I got a chance to take my detector to the New Jersey shore this
        > summer. It worked great in the dry sand getting all the coins it
        > passed over. Also all the foil and trash. I used low
        discrimination
        > just to knock out the iron. I didn't find any jewelry. The QD
        would
        > send out false signals in the salt water or very wet sand, no
        matter
        > where the sensitivity was set. It sure would be nice to have a
        real
        > beach machine, but most of my hunting is up top in the sand anyway.
        >
        > My next outing is a middle school nearby that has a bit of
        > construction going on near the ball fields. Hope to snag a pocket
        > full there.
        >
        > Happy Hunting!
        >
        > Kent in OKC
      • dullhawk
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2003
          Hey warhead, Sounds like you found some interesting finds. Sure
          would like to see a few pictures of them. Especially that 22 casing.
          Could be a Winchester WRF (Winchester Rim Fire). This cartridge was
          eventually replaced by the WRM (Winchester Rimfire Magnum). Not
          really worth anything but still kinda neat to find. Would also enjoy
          seeing the Dog Tag & Tax Token.

          dullhawk

          --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "shelby"