Re: [Oklahoma Metal Detecting Club] ghost towns

  • JEROMY DEATHERAGE
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
      i have been to about 6 ghost towns myself . i was
      curious if the older coins are deeper. because when i
      read coins i usually just dig 6 inches or less.

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Kent <pietbuilder@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
        Jeromy,
        Which ghost towns have you been to? I am in NW OKC, and a friend and
        I are heading out to an old school in "Richland", a ghost town. There
        still seem to be people living there, but probably not as much as in
        the past. I drove by the school and it is brick, and seems to be in
        use just for the Scout pack. My friend is trying to locate the owner
        now.
        Last weekend we went to a football field in a school nearby and I got
        about $1.85 in various clad, and he got about 4-5 times that. Cliff
        uses the Radio Shack/BH version of Landstar and I have a Bounty
        Hunter QuickDraw II. We were there about 3-1/2 hours and searched
        less than 1/4 of the field. Cliff also found a silver ring, small
        size.

        Kent
        OKC

        --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, JEROMY DEATHERAGE
        <jld_us@y...> wrote:
        > i have been to about 6 ghost towns myself . i was
        > curious if the older coins are deeper. because when i
        > read coins i usually just dig 6 inches or less.

        > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Shirley Watkins
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
          I've been a member of the list now for about a week or so and figured it
          was about time I introduced myself.

          I am Shirley from Duncan, OK. My husband Keith and I are going to be
          purchasing our first metal detector next week when we go to OKC. I have
          checked out Wayne's store there in the city and am anxious to finally get
          our MD.

          My husband is a retired disabled Vietnam Veteran, I have a used book store
          on the internet and am addicted to selling on Ebay. Since we both are
          around home a lot we are really looking forward to getting out and finding
          all those great buried treasures just waiting to be discovered.

          I am glad that I found this list. Was wondering if there is something like
          this on the internet, never dreamed of finding a list for Oklahoma & N.
          Texas. We live over here by Ft. Sill/Lawton area if anyone isn't familiar
          with the Duncan area. Is anyone else nearby?

          Hopefully I'll be reporting in with our finds sometime in the next week or
          so. Lookout poptops here we come!!

          Happy hunting everyone!

          Shirley & Keith A. Watkins
          shirljo@... ////// shirljo@... /////
          http://www.angelfire.com/ok/VetWives/Homepage.html -- VetWives Home
          http://www.angelfire.com/ok/KWVA/index.html -- OK Chapter KWVA
          http://grandmasattic.bizhosting.com/attic.html -- Grandma's Attic
          http://www.abebooks.com/home/SHIRLEYBOOKS/ -- My Bookstores
          http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/shirljo/ -- My Ebay
          https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=shirljo%40texhoma.net - Paypal

          They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their Strength: they shall mount
          up with
          wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and
          not faint.
          Isaiah 30:41

        • wendell roberts
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
            Hello Shirley,
            My name is Wendell im in Lawton and got my metal detector for x-mas. Its a Radio Shack unit. I have tried it in my yard and also took it to the beach at lake Lawtonka. Well a lought of pull tabs, old fire works and a few thing I have no idea what the were, I did find .28. Well thats good for a start. haha... Just thought I would say Hello...
            Happy Hunting.... Let me know if you find anyplace to MD. Im always looking. I have found an OLD school my grandmother went to in the 20 & 30's. She took me there before she passed away and now I need to find it again. Its SE of Snyder... Also my cousin has some farm land where there was an old work shed sometime. Everytime they plow the field the get old trackter & wagon tools. As soon as they harvest the wheat thats growing now they said I can MD there and see what I find....
            Well got to get...
            Wendell
            aka: Poobear
            Shirley Watkins <shirljo@...> wrote: I've been a member of the list now for about a week or so and figured it
[...]

          • dullhawk
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
              Welcome new members! Be sure to upload us some pics of your finds.
              We might be able to help identify those things that you don't know
              what they are.

              --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, wendell roberts
              <poobear@s...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > Hopefully I'll be reporting in with our finds sometime in the next
              week or
              > so. Lookout poptops here we come!!
              >
              > Happy hunting everyone!
              >

              > Shirley & Keith A. Watkins
              > shirljo@t... ////// shirljo@a... /////
              > http://www.angelfire.com/ok/VetWives/Homepage.html -- VetWives
              > http://www.angelfire.com/ok/KWVA/index.html -- OK Chapter KWVA
              > http://grandmasattic.bizhosting.com/attic.html -- Grandma's Attic
              > http://www.abebooks.com/home/SHIRLEYBOOKS/ -- My Bookstores
              > http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/shirljo/ -- My Ebay
              > https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=shirljo%40texhoma.net -
              Paypal

              > They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their Strength: they
              shall mount
              > up with
              > wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall

              Service.

            • JEROMY DEATHERAGE
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
                me and my step dad go to ghost towns ofter to metal
                detect. we have been to frisco which most of the town
                is on farm land now. and also silver city. we havent
                had much luck on ghost towns. we live on the se side
                okc. we fid our luck on volleyball courts and parks
                were we have found a bracelet and 2 14kt diamond
                rings. which was an awesome find. usually we find tons
                of change. i am hoping to find something old and of
                value. hopefully i'll get some luck in another ghost
                town.

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Shirley Watkins
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2003
                  At 05:42 PM 1/9/2003 -0800, you wrote:
                  >Hello Shirley,
                  >My name is Wendell im in Lawton and got my metal detector for x-mas. Its a
                  >Radio Shack unit. I have tried it in my yard and also took it to the beach
                  >at lake Lawtonka. Well a lought of pull tabs, old fire works and a few
                  >thing I have no idea what the were, I did find .28. Well thats good for a
                  >start. haha... Just thought I would say Hello...
                  >Happy Hunting.... Let me know if you find anyplace to MD. Im always
                  >looking. I have found an OLD school my grandmother went to in the 20 &
                  >30's. She took me there before she passed away and now I need to find it
                  >again. Its SE of Snyder... Also my cousin has some farm land where there
                  >was an old work shed sometime. Everytime they plow the field the get old
                  >trackter & wagon tools. As soon as they harvest the wheat thats growing
                  >now they said I can MD there and see what I find....
                  >Well got to get...
                  >Wendell
                  >aka: Poobear

                  Wendell,

                  Howdy neighbor. I was wondering about the Wildlife Refuge. Do you know if
                  they let you hunt there around the lakes and picnic areas? There used to
                  be an old rock building down in the Refuge where we had our family reunions
                  for years and years. It was close to one of the lakes. Don't know if I
                  could ever find it again as I've heard it's been abandoned or the road is
                  now closed. Would love to go around that area because it's been a
                  gathering place from a long ways back.

                  I'm going to start out in my own yard, we live in town, and see what
                  goodies I find. Then I will move on to my mom & dads place in the
                  country. There used to be several old houses up in their pasture plus a
                  dump so might find something interesting there. Also will try the lakes &
                  parks around locally.

                  Happy Hunting!

                  shirl

                • Shirley Watkins
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 19, 2003
                    I got my new MD. Purchased on Tues Jan 14th. White's IDX Pro.

                    My very first find in my yard is a Bicycle Tire Valve Stem Cap!!! I'm
                    excited. I actually found something.

                    A day later I'm back out digging in my yard. Thankfully is was a little bit
                    warmer. I found:

                    5 cent Oklahoma Consumers Tax Token
                    Small washer
                    Coke Bottle Cap
                    Small cast iron doll shoe with japanese writing on the bottom.
                    6" chisel
                    various pop tops and trash, aluminum foil, nails

                    Today I found a 1974 Quarter in my front yard

                    Went out to my grandparents place and found:

                    Wagon Wheel Hub Metal Ring
                    2 Ball Mason Jar Zinc Lids w/ Pocelain seals
                    1977 Penny
                    1999 Nickel
                    Clasp from an old ammo box

                    The Mason Jar lids were deep down in the ground around 12". I didn't think
                    this metal detector would range that far down but I guess maybe the larger
                    the item??

                    Had fun. Am proud of my finds. My sis ran the detector today and I was
                    the digger. Am lining up more places to check out. Hubby wants to go to
                    the ocean somewhere and check out the beach LOL

                    Hope all had a nice weekend

                    Shirley & Keith Watkins

                  • dullhawk
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 20, 2003
                      Shirley, I shure would like to see a picture of that tax token. I
                      found a 1957 silver dime at the lumber yard where I work. I have
                      found several coins there over the last couple of years. I will post
                      a picture in the finds section.

                      Douglas

                      Ps - Don't forget about the local fishing holes and under those
                      stadium bleachers. That is where I find most coins and jewelry.

                      --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, Shirley Watkins
                      <shirljo@t...> wrote:
                      > I got my new MD. Purchased on Tues Jan 14th. White's IDX Pro.
                      >
                      > My very first find in my yard is a Bicycle Tire Valve Stem Cap!!!
                      I'm
                      > excited. I actually found something.
                      >
                      > A day later I'm back out digging in my yard. Thankfully is was a
                      little bit
                      > warmer. I found:
                      >
                      > 5 cent Oklahoma Consumers Tax Token
                      > Small washer
                      > Coke Bottle Cap
                      > Small cast iron doll shoe with japanese writing on the bottom.
                      > 6" chisel
                      > various pop tops and trash, aluminum foil, nails
                      >
                      > Today I found a 1974 Quarter in my front yard
                      >
                      > Went out to my grandparents place and found:
                      >
                      > Wagon Wheel Hub Metal Ring
                      > 2 Ball Mason Jar Zinc Lids w/ Pocelain seals
                      > 1977 Penny
                      > 1999 Nickel
                      > Clasp from an old ammo box
                      >
                      > The Mason Jar lids were deep down in the ground around 12". I
                      didn't think
                      > this metal detector would range that far down but I guess maybe
                      the larger
                      > the item??
                      >
                      > Had fun. Am proud of my finds. My sis ran the detector today and
                      I was
                      > the digger. Am lining up more places to check out. Hubby wants
                      to go to
                      > the ocean somewhere and check out the beach LOL
                      >
                      > Hope all had a nice weekend
                      >
                      > Shirley & Keith Watkins

                    • Shirley Watkins
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 27, 2003
                        At 12:44 AM 1/21/2003 +0000, you wrote:

                        >Shirley, I shure would like to see a picture of that tax token.
                        >Douglas
                        >
                        >Ps - Don't forget about the local fishing holes and under those
                        >stadium bleachers. That is where I find most coins and jewelry.

                        I've uploaded the picture of the tax token I found.

                        Look under Shirl's Finds Folder

                        We did go out to the Lake last week, beautiful weather. Tried an old beach
                        area that has erroded horribly since I was there last. Found 2 pennies and
                        a sack full of beer can tabs. Oh well, I will try other places.

                        shirl