ghost towns

  • whisperingdreamz <whisperingdreamz@yahoo
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2002
      hello all,
      I went out metal detecting down by the river yesterday. My first
      time detecting. I found an old foundation where a house use to be.
      Before my time around here. I found an old hatchet, an old nail that
      was made back when they squared the head and body, and an old desk
      leg..I think. Not much but its a start. I think I am gonna love this!
      I am now researching old ghost towns in my area and have come up with
      23 of them in just my county alone! Now to just locate them...lol. If
      anyone's interested in ghost towns of their county...drop me a line
      and I'll see what I can dig up...lol. Later.
    • JEROMY DEATHERAGE
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
        i have been to about 6 ghost towns myself . i was
        curious if the older coins are deeper. because when i
        read coins i usually just dig 6 inches or less.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Kent <pietbuilder@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
          Jeromy,
          Which ghost towns have you been to? I am in NW OKC, and a friend and
          I are heading out to an old school in "Richland", a ghost town. There
          still seem to be people living there, but probably not as much as in
          the past. I drove by the school and it is brick, and seems to be in
          use just for the Scout pack. My friend is trying to locate the owner
          now.
          Last weekend we went to a football field in a school nearby and I got
          about $1.85 in various clad, and he got about 4-5 times that. Cliff
          uses the Radio Shack/BH version of Landstar and I have a Bounty
          Hunter QuickDraw II. We were there about 3-1/2 hours and searched
          less than 1/4 of the field. Cliff also found a silver ring, small
          size.

          Kent
          OKC

          --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, JEROMY DEATHERAGE
          <jld_us@y...> wrote:
          > i have been to about 6 ghost towns myself . i was
          > curious if the older coins are deeper. because when i
          > read coins i usually just dig 6 inches or less.

          > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Shirley Watkins
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
            I've been a member of the list now for about a week or so and figured it
            was about time I introduced myself.

            I am Shirley from Duncan, OK. My husband Keith and I are going to be
            purchasing our first metal detector next week when we go to OKC. I have
            checked out Wayne's store there in the city and am anxious to finally get
            our MD.

            My husband is a retired disabled Vietnam Veteran, I have a used book store
            on the internet and am addicted to selling on Ebay. Since we both are
            around home a lot we are really looking forward to getting out and finding
            all those great buried treasures just waiting to be discovered.

            I am glad that I found this list. Was wondering if there is something like
            this on the internet, never dreamed of finding a list for Oklahoma & N.
            Texas. We live over here by Ft. Sill/Lawton area if anyone isn't familiar
            with the Duncan area. Is anyone else nearby?

            Hopefully I'll be reporting in with our finds sometime in the next week or
            so. Lookout poptops here we come!!

            Happy hunting everyone!

            Shirley & Keith A. Watkins
            shirljo@... ////// shirljo@... /////
            http://www.angelfire.com/ok/VetWives/Homepage.html -- VetWives Home
            http://www.angelfire.com/ok/KWVA/index.html -- OK Chapter KWVA
            http://grandmasattic.bizhosting.com/attic.html -- Grandma's Attic
            http://www.abebooks.com/home/SHIRLEYBOOKS/ -- My Bookstores
            http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/shirljo/ -- My Ebay
            https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=shirljo%40texhoma.net - Paypal

            They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their Strength: they shall mount
            up with
            wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and
            not faint.
            Isaiah 30:41

          • wendell roberts
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
              Hello Shirley,
              My name is Wendell im in Lawton and got my metal detector for x-mas. Its a Radio Shack unit. I have tried it in my yard and also took it to the beach at lake Lawtonka. Well a lought of pull tabs, old fire works and a few thing I have no idea what the were, I did find .28. Well thats good for a start. haha... Just thought I would say Hello...
              Happy Hunting.... Let me know if you find anyplace to MD. Im always looking. I have found an OLD school my grandmother went to in the 20 & 30's. She took me there before she passed away and now I need to find it again. Its SE of Snyder... Also my cousin has some farm land where there was an old work shed sometime. Everytime they plow the field the get old trackter & wagon tools. As soon as they harvest the wheat thats growing now they said I can MD there and see what I find....
              Well got to get...
              Wendell
              aka: Poobear
              Shirley Watkins <shirljo@...> wrote: I've been a member of the list now for about a week or so and figured it
[...]

            • dullhawk
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
                Welcome new members! Be sure to upload us some pics of your finds.
                We might be able to help identify those things that you don't know
                what they are.

                --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, wendell roberts
                <poobear@s...> wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > Hopefully I'll be reporting in with our finds sometime in the next
                week or
                > so. Lookout poptops here we come!!
                >
                > Happy hunting everyone!
                >

                > Shirley & Keith A. Watkins
                > shirljo@t... ////// shirljo@a... /////
                > http://www.angelfire.com/ok/VetWives/Homepage.html -- VetWives
                > http://www.angelfire.com/ok/KWVA/index.html -- OK Chapter KWVA
                > http://grandmasattic.bizhosting.com/attic.html -- Grandma's Attic
                > http://www.abebooks.com/home/SHIRLEYBOOKS/ -- My Bookstores
                > http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/shirljo/ -- My Ebay
                > https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=shirljo%40texhoma.net -
                Paypal

                > They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their Strength: they
                shall mount
                > up with
                > wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall

                Service.

              • JEROMY DEATHERAGE
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 9, 2003
                  me and my step dad go to ghost towns ofter to metal
                  detect. we have been to frisco which most of the town
                  is on farm land now. and also silver city. we havent
                  had much luck on ghost towns. we live on the se side
                  okc. we fid our luck on volleyball courts and parks
                  were we have found a bracelet and 2 14kt diamond
                  rings. which was an awesome find. usually we find tons
                  of change. i am hoping to find something old and of
                  value. hopefully i'll get some luck in another ghost
                  town.

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Shirley Watkins
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 10, 2003
                    At 05:42 PM 1/9/2003 -0800, you wrote:
                    >Hello Shirley,
                    >My name is Wendell im in Lawton and got my metal detector for x-mas. Its a
                    >Radio Shack unit. I have tried it in my yard and also took it to the beach
                    >at lake Lawtonka. Well a lought of pull tabs, old fire works and a few
                    >thing I have no idea what the were, I did find .28. Well thats good for a
                    >start. haha... Just thought I would say Hello...
                    >Happy Hunting.... Let me know if you find anyplace to MD. Im always
                    >looking. I have found an OLD school my grandmother went to in the 20 &
                    >30's. She took me there before she passed away and now I need to find it
                    >again. Its SE of Snyder... Also my cousin has some farm land where there
                    >was an old work shed sometime. Everytime they plow the field the get old
                    >trackter & wagon tools. As soon as they harvest the wheat thats growing
                    >now they said I can MD there and see what I find....
                    >Well got to get...
                    >Wendell
                    >aka: Poobear

                    Wendell,

                    Howdy neighbor. I was wondering about the Wildlife Refuge. Do you know if
                    they let you hunt there around the lakes and picnic areas? There used to
                    be an old rock building down in the Refuge where we had our family reunions
                    for years and years. It was close to one of the lakes. Don't know if I
                    could ever find it again as I've heard it's been abandoned or the road is
                    now closed. Would love to go around that area because it's been a
                    gathering place from a long ways back.

                    I'm going to start out in my own yard, we live in town, and see what
                    goodies I find. Then I will move on to my mom & dads place in the
                    country. There used to be several old houses up in their pasture plus a
                    dump so might find something interesting there. Also will try the lakes &
                    parks around locally.

                    Happy Hunting!

                    shirl

                  • Shirley Watkins
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 19, 2003
                      I got my new MD. Purchased on Tues Jan 14th. White's IDX Pro.

                      My very first find in my yard is a Bicycle Tire Valve Stem Cap!!! I'm
                      excited. I actually found something.

                      A day later I'm back out digging in my yard. Thankfully is was a little bit
                      warmer. I found:

                      5 cent Oklahoma Consumers Tax Token
                      Small washer
                      Coke Bottle Cap
                      Small cast iron doll shoe with japanese writing on the bottom.
                      6" chisel
                      various pop tops and trash, aluminum foil, nails

                      Today I found a 1974 Quarter in my front yard

                      Went out to my grandparents place and found:

                      Wagon Wheel Hub Metal Ring
                      2 Ball Mason Jar Zinc Lids w/ Pocelain seals
                      1977 Penny
                      1999 Nickel
                      Clasp from an old ammo box

                      The Mason Jar lids were deep down in the ground around 12". I didn't think
                      this metal detector would range that far down but I guess maybe the larger
                      the item??

                      Had fun. Am proud of my finds. My sis ran the detector today and I was
                      the digger. Am lining up more places to check out. Hubby wants to go to
                      the ocean somewhere and check out the beach LOL

                      Hope all had a nice weekend

                      Shirley & Keith Watkins

                    • dullhawk
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 20, 2003
                        Shirley, I shure would like to see a picture of that tax token. I
                        found a 1957 silver dime at the lumber yard where I work. I have
                        found several coins there over the last couple of years. I will post
                        a picture in the finds section.

                        Douglas

                        Ps - Don't forget about the local fishing holes and under those
                        stadium bleachers. That is where I find most coins and jewelry.

                        --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, Shirley Watkins
                        <shirljo@t...> wrote:
                        > I got my new MD. Purchased on Tues Jan 14th. White's IDX Pro.
                        >
                        > My very first find in my yard is a Bicycle Tire Valve Stem Cap!!!
                        I'm
                        > excited. I actually found something.
                        >
                        > A day later I'm back out digging in my yard. Thankfully is was a
                        little bit
                        > warmer. I found:
                        >
                        > 5 cent Oklahoma Consumers Tax Token
                        > Small washer
                        > Coke Bottle Cap
                        > Small cast iron doll shoe with japanese writing on the bottom.
                        > 6" chisel
                        > various pop tops and trash, aluminum foil, nails
                        >
                        > Today I found a 1974 Quarter in my front yard
                        >
                        > Went out to my grandparents place and found:
                        >
                        > Wagon Wheel Hub Metal Ring
                        > 2 Ball Mason Jar Zinc Lids w/ Pocelain seals
                        > 1977 Penny
                        > 1999 Nickel
                        > Clasp from an old ammo box
                        >
                        > The Mason Jar lids were deep down in the ground around 12". I
                        didn't think
                        > this metal detector would range that far down but I guess maybe
                        the larger
                        > the item??
                        >
                        > Had fun. Am proud of my finds. My sis ran the detector today and
                        I was
                        > the digger. Am lining up more places to check out. Hubby wants
                        to go to
                        > the ocean somewhere and check out the beach LOL
                        >
                        > Hope all had a nice weekend
                        >
                        > Shirley & Keith Watkins

                      • Shirley Watkins
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 27, 2003
                          At 12:44 AM 1/21/2003 +0000, you wrote:

                          >Shirley, I shure would like to see a picture of that tax token.
                          >Douglas
                          >
                          >Ps - Don't forget about the local fishing holes and under those
                          >stadium bleachers. That is where I find most coins and jewelry.

                          I've uploaded the picture of the tax token I found.

                          Look under Shirl's Finds Folder

                          We did go out to the Lake last week, beautiful weather. Tried an old beach
                          area that has erroded horribly since I was there last. Found 2 pennies and
                          a sack full of beer can tabs. Oh well, I will try other places.

                          shirl