info needed about brass

  • tooniece
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2002
      Can anyone give me some tips on cleaning an old brass from a shot gun
      shell. and Does anyone have any information about the brass I found.
      I've cleaning it enough to read the bottom of the brass and it reads
      U.M.C. Co. NEW CLUB No. 12. any info will be appreciated.
    • precipice_climber
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2002
        Union Metallic Co. (1867-1911, Merged with Remington to form REM-UMC
        from 1911-1934, Bought out by Dupont to form Remington Arms Company
        in 1934 and is the same as of present.

        The shell you have is somewhere between 91-135 years old. I would not
        try to clean it other than an olive oil bath for a month or two. As I
        am sure you are finding out, they can be very fragile and due to the
        age and thin nature of the brass it will fall apart if you put it in
        acid washes or use a brass cleaner. In the best of cases the acid
        will eat right through some of the metal and leave pitting. Ugly! I
        am listing a site you can go to to find more on the shells you are
        going to find. They are affectionately referred to as the 12th GA
        (Georgia) buttons on the Civil War forums.
        http://members.shaw.ca/cstein0/welcome.htm