RE: [Oklahoma Metal Detecting Club] Re: Where is everyone from?

  • John Williams
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 23, 2010
      I've been wanting to do serious hunting, Oklahoma has many restrictions and very little "open areas" for hunting without some kind of problem due to tresspassing and state laws. I would like to hear about getting any possible problems our hunting friends have come across to get those issues solved. I think we should get organized and have some kind of an introduction meeting at an OKC or central location suitable for everyone interested, at a restraunt or coffee shop and dicuss how to begin. I'm from Tucson AZ and was with the Desert Gold Diggers of Tucson prospecting club ( google them). It was a lot of fun and profitable. You can check their website about how they operate and how they get together. They used a VFW for monthly club meetings and raffled gold nuggets, monthly outing to prospecting claims. There are also lots of photos on the site. It would be a good example for putting things together. Pass the word. Thanks, John (johnnypanr)

      To: oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: thomasbaker136@...
      Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:43:08 +0000
      Subject: [Oklahoma Metal Detecting Club] Re: Where is everyone from?

      Lawton here

      --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, aussieokie <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > If we knew maybe some of us could hunt together.
      > Unless I missed a post that tells us???
      >
      > I'm from North Central Oklahoma

    • Craig Hitchcock
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 23, 2010
        Most people are good about letting you search on their property if you get permission first. They usually want a cut. Yes....the southwest area of the state has great areas. I oncve read a report that said Oklahoma has more buried treasure in it then any state in the US. The Iron door treasure in the Wichita Mountains in Lawton would be a great one to do more research on. Any of the pilings of rock around any of the open mine shafts in the Arbuckle Mountains would be worth checking for gold in them. Most people don't realize that the Arbuckle mountains are considered the oldest mountains in the world because they turned up side down when they rose. What does that mean? That all of the good minerals (mineral veins) are closer or on the surface of the mountains then deep in it. Just beware of bears and wolves!

        While working on a state tourism film in the panhandle of Oklahoma, we noticed the various trails from the air. We were able to spot old graves along some of the trails where some old cowboys were laid to rest. Watch out for rattlesnakes! One area that needs to be checked one day is where the California Road and Texas Road crossed each other.  A woman that traveled in her fathers wagon watched as her day buried their savings before they moved on through Indian Territory and the area full of outlaws. She said in an interview with others that her dad never got back to retrieve the money.

        There are many more stories that were published in the Oklahoman newspaper over the years. I am wanting to find the gold mines dug 7 miles Northeast of Norman...anyone know of it??? I would like to find the old shaft. Several of us could maybe work it if there is still gold and sliver in it. I am game for anything...when it is cooler.:)

        -Craig

        -Craig

        From: craighitchcock@...
        Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:47:15 -0700

        I think we all should do some research on different areas of the state and once we feel like we have some solid information to hunt on...we pull all that want to hunt together for several days and see what we can find. We can share the wealth with everyone that participates. There is enough buried money in Oklahoma to hunt for years.
        -Craig

        > If we knew maybe some of us could hunt together.

        > Unless I missed a post that tells us???

        > I'm from North Central Oklahoma

      • Earl Welsh
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 23, 2010
          I live in Norman, I would be interested in getting together to get something started. Lets pick a time and place and get it going.
          Earl

          To: oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com
          From: craighitchcock@...
          Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:47:15 -0700

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 26, 2010
            Thanks Earl, sounds good, let's do it.

            There's some good info there and worth serious thought, I'm in Bethany (OKC) so we're neighbors. I still want to get a meeting going with all the members. Let's put the 1st one together and go from there. Hopefully we'll get a good group showing up for that one. I know a good place in Perry called the Kumback Inn, it's an 'old time' diner (since 1926)that serves the best home cookin' and great burgers with plenty of room for a group, that would more or less not too distant for the north side and the central area although it would be too far for those in Lawton and SW/SE. But we would have the next meeting more South like Lexington or Pauls Valley. How would that be? Everyone? Give us your input for dates, times and place. Let's get serious and get this together, okay? John

            To: oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com
            From: ewelsh1809@...
            Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:32:18 -0700

            To: oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com
            From: craighitchcock@...
            Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:47:15 -0700

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 26, 2010
              Thanks Craig, I saved your info and also recieved from Earl. Posted a reply to him and I'm going to the group site for discussion. John

              To: oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com

              To: oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com
              From: craighitchcock@...
              Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:47:15 -0700