Re: New to Metal Detecting

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2009
      --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Dobson"
      <mdaviddobson@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone, I am wanting to get started in metal detecting, I am 58
      > years old and mt doctor tells me I need to get out and get some
      > exercise and understand that this is a good way. At the same time
      who
      > knows what I might find while I am out. My question is, what is the
      > best way to get started (I know I will need a metal detector) but
      > which one? (I am leaning towards the Garret Ace 250,maimly becuase
      of
      > price and flexibility.
      >
      > What else will I need?
      >
      > Where is the best place to go metal detecting?
      >
      > Where is it legal to search?
      >
      > Where is it illegal to search?
      >
      > I live near the Arkansas River can I hunt along the banks and on the
      > sand bars?
      >
      > These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help I can get
      will
      > be greatlt appreciated. Hey,Mike.I would suggest to purchase a
      Tesoro Silver U-Max instead of the Ace.The Tesoro is more money,but
      it is a much better detector.Plus it's easy to use.And it comes with
      a lifetime warrenty.I have been detecting over 25 yrs.and People I
      know that have bought the Ace end up regreting it.

    • skylarloves
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2009
        Hi Mike!

        My name is Skylar and I am brand new to Oklahoma as well, and would
        really love to hook up with you if possible and go metal detecting
        with you. I am a Grad School Student in Norman at OU, but would love
        to hunt & burn off a few calories on the weekends.

        ~Skylar
        Skylar@...

        Please email me and maybe we can connect, along with any one else out
        there in the OKC area.

        ps I have also heard that the Tesoro Silver U-Max is a far better buy
        than the Ace.

        --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"
        <dawgman1ok@...> wrote:

        > --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Dobson"
        > <mdaviddobson@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi everyone, I am wanting to get started in metal detecting, I am 58
        > > years old and mt doctor tells me I need to get out and get some
        > > exercise and understand that this is a good way. At the same time
        > who
        > > knows what I might find while I am out. My question is, what is the
        > > best way to get started (I know I will need a metal detector) but
        > > which one? (I am leaning towards the Garret Ace 250,maimly becuase
        > of
        > > price and flexibility.
        > >
        > > What else will I need?
        > >
        > > Where is the best place to go metal detecting?
        > >
        > > Where is it legal to search?
        > >
        > > Where is it illegal to search?
        > >
        > > I live near the Arkansas River can I hunt along the banks and on the
        > > sand bars?
        > >
        > > These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help I can get
        > will
        > > be greatlt appreciated. Hey,Mike.I would suggest to purchase a
        > Tesoro Silver U-Max instead of the Ace.The Tesoro is more money,but
        > it is a much better detector.Plus it's easy to use.And it comes with
        > a lifetime warrenty.I have been detecting over 25 yrs.and People I
        > know that have bought the Ace end up regreting it.

      • Michael Dobson
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 8, 2009
          Hey Skylar, glad to meet you. I leave in Sand Springs, Ok which is
          just west of Tulsa but still would like to share information with you
          and who knows I might come that way some times. At least you are
          going to a good school like OU, my oldest son went there.

          Thanks for the info on the Tesoro Silver U-Max, I will look into it
          and compare.

          Mike

          - In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "skylarloves"

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 8, 2009
            You need to go see a reputable dealer.
            Hopefully, someone close to where you live.
            For someone just getting started - it's your best bet.

            <mdaviddobson@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone, I am wanting to get started in metal detecting, I am 58
            > years old and mt doctor tells me I need to get out and get some
            > exercise and understand that this is a good way. At the same time
            who
            > knows what I might find while I am out. My question is, what is the
            > best way to get started (I know I will need a metal detector) but
            > which one? (I am leaning towards the Garret Ace 250,maimly becuase
            of
            > price and flexibility.
            >
            > What else will I need?
            >
            > Where is the best place to go metal detecting?
            >
            > Where is it legal to search?
            >
            > Where is it illegal to search?
            >
            > I live near the Arkansas River can I hunt along the banks and on the
            > sand bars?
            >
            > These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help I can get
            will
            > be greatlt appreciated.

          • Ron Newby
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 8, 2009
              Hi Mike,
              Since you live west of Tulsa I know a metal detector dealer in Tulsa who could probably help you out.  He is one of the directors of the Three Forks and Indian Nations Metal Detecting Hunting Events and knows a lot about detectors.  His name is Chuck Marcum so give him a call at 918-906-9912.  Working with a local dealer is always the best since they provide training and customer service for life.  Texas Ron

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 8, 2009
                Thanks Ron, I will give him a call.

                <skylarloves@ ...> wrote:

                > Hi Mike!
                >
                > My name is Skylar and I am brand new to Oklahoma as well, and would
                > really love to hook up with you if possible and go metal detecting
                > with you. I am a Grad School Student in Norman at OU, but would love
                > to hunt & burn off a few calories on the weekends.
                >
                > ~Skylar
                > Skylar@...
                >
                > Please email me and maybe we can connect, along with any one else out
                > there in the OKC area.
                >
                > ps I have also heard that the Tesoro Silver U-Max is a far better buy
                > than the Ace.
                >

                > --- In oklahomametaldetect ingclub@yahoogro ups.com, "Mike"
                > <dawgman1ok@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In oklahomametaldetect ingclub@yahoogro ups.com, "Michael Dobson"
                > > <mdaviddobson@ > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi everyone, I am wanting to get started in metal detecting, I am 58
                > > > years old and mt doctor tells me I need to get out and get some
                > > > exercise and understand that this is a good way. At the same time
                > > who
                > > > knows what I might find while I am out. My question is, what is the
                > > > best way to get started (I know I will need a metal detector) but
                > > > which one? (I am leaning towards the Garret Ace 250,maimly becuase
                > > of
                > > > price and flexibility.
                > > >
                > > > What else will I need?
                > > >
                > > > Where is the best place to go metal detecting?
                > > >
                > > > Where is it legal to search?
                > > >
                > > > Where is it illegal to search?
                > > >
                > > > I live near the Arkansas River can I hunt along the banks and on the
                > > > sand bars?
                > > >
                > > > These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help I can get
                > > will
                > > > be greatlt appreciated. Hey,Mike.I would suggest to purchase a
                > > Tesoro Silver U-Max instead of the Ace.The Tesoro is more money,but
                > > it is a much better detector.Plus it's easy to use.And it comes with
                > > a lifetime warrenty.I have been detecting over 25 yrs.and People I
                > > know that have bought the Ace end up regreting it.

              • m nelson
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Michael:
                  Would you be related to the Dobsons who owned the Minuteman pizza place?
                  Mike Nelson

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 8, 2009
                    Mike:
                    You might also check out the ITTHC that meets in Tulsa once a month at the library over on Mingo. Indian Territories Treasure Hunting Club, it's a great group of people and they have a lot of nice outings. If your interested send me an e-mail and I'll send you the info..

                    ____________ _________ _________ __

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                      No, I know them but we are not related.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                        Thanks I will

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 10, 2009
                          go to www.ITTHC.com there are a lot of good people in the club.

                          <skylarloves@ ...> wrote:

                          > Hi Mike!
                          >
                          > My name is Skylar and I am brand new to Oklahoma as well, and would
                          > really love to hook up with you if possible and go metal detecting
                          > with you. I am a Grad School Student in Norman at OU, but would love
                          > to hunt & burn off a few calories on the weekends.
                          >
                          > ~Skylar
                          > Skylar@...
                          >
                          > Please email me and maybe we can connect, along with any one else out
                          > there in the OKC area.
                          >
                          > ps I have also heard that the Tesoro Silver U-Max is a far better buy
                          > than the Ace.
                          >

                          > --- In oklahomametaldetect ingclub@yahoogro ups.com, "Mike"
                          > <dawgman1ok@ > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In oklahomametaldetect ingclub@yahoogro ups.com, "Michael Dobson"
                          > > <mdaviddobson@ > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi everyone, I am wanting to get started in metal detecting, I am 58
                          > > > years old and mt doctor tells me I need to get out and get some
                          > > > exercise and understand that this is a good way. At the same time
                          > > who
                          > > > knows what I might find while I am out. My question is, what is the
                          > > > best way to get started (I know I will need a metal detector) but
                          > > > which one? (I am leaning towards the Garret Ace 250,maimly becuase
                          > > of
                          > > > price and flexibility.
                          > > >
                          > > > What else will I need?
                          > > >
                          > > > Where is the best place to go metal detecting?
                          > > >
                          > > > Where is it legal to search?
                          > > >
                          > > > Where is it illegal to search?
                          > > >
                          > > > I live near the Arkansas River can I hunt along the banks and on the
                          > > > sand bars?
                          > > >
                          > > > These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help I can get
                          > > will
                          > > > be greatlt appreciated. Hey,Mike.I would suggest to purchase a
                          > > Tesoro Silver U-Max instead of the Ace.The Tesoro is more money,but
                          > > it is a much better detector.Plus it's easy to use.And it comes with
                          > > a lifetime warrenty.I have been detecting over 25 yrs.and People I
                          > > know that have bought the Ace end up regreting it.

                        • spikypsyki
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
                            I am new to this. My grandfather passed away a few years ago and i got his White's IDX Pro metal detector. I have no idea what i am doing so and advice on where to look or anything else would be very helpful. Thank you very much.