New to Metal Detecting

  • Michael Dobson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7 12:54 PM
      Hi everyone, I am wanting to get started in metal detecting, I am 58
      years old and mt doctor tells me I need to get out and get some
      exercise and understand that this is a good way. At the same time who
      knows what I might find while I am out. My question is, what is the
      best way to get started (I know I will need a metal detector) but
      which one? (I am leaning towards the Garret Ace 250,maimly becuase of
      price and flexibility.

      What else will I need?

      Where is the best place to go metal detecting?

      Where is it legal to search?

      Where is it illegal to search?

      I live near the Arkansas River can I hunt along the banks and on the
      sand bars?

      These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help I can get will
      be greatlt appreciated.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7 5:28 PM
        --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Dobson"
        <mdaviddobson@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone, I am wanting to get started in metal detecting, I am 58
        > years old and mt doctor tells me I need to get out and get some
        > exercise and understand that this is a good way. At the same time
        who
        > knows what I might find while I am out. My question is, what is the
        > best way to get started (I know I will need a metal detector) but
        > which one? (I am leaning towards the Garret Ace 250,maimly becuase
        of
        > price and flexibility.
        >
        > What else will I need?
        >
        > Where is the best place to go metal detecting?
        >
        > Where is it legal to search?
        >
        > Where is it illegal to search?
        >
        > I live near the Arkansas River can I hunt along the banks and on the
        > sand bars?
        >
        > These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help I can get
        will
        > be greatlt appreciated. Hey,Mike.I would suggest to purchase a
        Tesoro Silver U-Max instead of the Ace.The Tesoro is more money,but
        it is a much better detector.Plus it's easy to use.And it comes with
        a lifetime warrenty.I have been detecting over 25 yrs.and People I
        know that have bought the Ace end up regreting it.

      • skylarloves
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7 5:37 PM
          Hi Mike!

          My name is Skylar and I am brand new to Oklahoma as well, and would
          really love to hook up with you if possible and go metal detecting
          with you. I am a Grad School Student in Norman at OU, but would love
          to hunt & burn off a few calories on the weekends.

          ~Skylar
          Skylar@...

          Please email me and maybe we can connect, along with any one else out
          there in the OKC area.

          ps I have also heard that the Tesoro Silver U-Max is a far better buy
          than the Ace.

          --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 8 1:13 PM
            Hey Skylar, glad to meet you. I leave in Sand Springs, Ok which is
            just west of Tulsa but still would like to share information with you
            and who knows I might come that way some times. At least you are
            going to a good school like OU, my oldest son went there.

            Thanks for the info on the Tesoro Silver U-Max, I will look into it
            and compare.

            Mike

            - In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "skylarloves"

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 8 2:13 PM
              You need to go see a reputable dealer.
              Hopefully, someone close to where you live.
              For someone just getting started - it's your best bet.

              <mdaviddobson@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone, I am wanting to get started in metal detecting, I am 58
              > years old and mt doctor tells me I need to get out and get some
              > exercise and understand that this is a good way. At the same time
              who
              > knows what I might find while I am out. My question is, what is the
              > best way to get started (I know I will need a metal detector) but
              > which one? (I am leaning towards the Garret Ace 250,maimly becuase
              of
              > price and flexibility.
              >
              > What else will I need?
              >
              > Where is the best place to go metal detecting?
              >
              > Where is it legal to search?
              >
              > Where is it illegal to search?
              >
              > I live near the Arkansas River can I hunt along the banks and on the
              > sand bars?
              >
              > These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help I can get
              will
              > be greatlt appreciated.

            • Ron Newby
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 8 6:23 PM
                Hi Mike,
                Since you live west of Tulsa I know a metal detector dealer in Tulsa who could probably help you out.  He is one of the directors of the Three Forks and Indian Nations Metal Detecting Hunting Events and knows a lot about detectors.  His name is Chuck Marcum so give him a call at 918-906-9912.  Working with a local dealer is always the best since they provide training and customer service for life.  Texas Ron

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 8 6:39 PM
                  Thanks Ron, I will give him a call.

                  <skylarloves@ ...> wrote:

                  > Hi Mike!
                  >
                  > My name is Skylar and I am brand new to Oklahoma as well, and would
                  > really love to hook up with you if possible and go metal detecting
                  > with you. I am a Grad School Student in Norman at OU, but would love
                  > to hunt & burn off a few calories on the weekends.
                  >
                  > ~Skylar
                  > Skylar@...
                  >
                  > Please email me and maybe we can connect, along with any one else out
                  > there in the OKC area.
                  >
                  > ps I have also heard that the Tesoro Silver U-Max is a far better buy
                  > than the Ace.
                  >

                  > --- In oklahomametaldetect ingclub@yahoogro ups.com, "Mike"
                  > <dawgman1ok@ > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In oklahomametaldetect ingclub@yahoogro ups.com, "Michael Dobson"
                  > > <mdaviddobson@ > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi everyone, I am wanting to get started in metal detecting, I am 58
                  > > > years old and mt doctor tells me I need to get out and get some
                  > > > exercise and understand that this is a good way. At the same time
                  > > who
                  > > > knows what I might find while I am out. My question is, what is the
                  > > > best way to get started (I know I will need a metal detector) but
                  > > > which one? (I am leaning towards the Garret Ace 250,maimly becuase
                  > > of
                  > > > price and flexibility.
                  > > >
                  > > > What else will I need?
                  > > >
                  > > > Where is the best place to go metal detecting?
                  > > >
                  > > > Where is it legal to search?
                  > > >
                  > > > Where is it illegal to search?
                  > > >
                  > > > I live near the Arkansas River can I hunt along the banks and on the
                  > > > sand bars?
                  > > >
                  > > > These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help I can get
                  > > will
                  > > > be greatlt appreciated. Hey,Mike.I would suggest to purchase a
                  > > Tesoro Silver U-Max instead of the Ace.The Tesoro is more money,but
                  > > it is a much better detector.Plus it's easy to use.And it comes with
                  > > a lifetime warrenty.I have been detecting over 25 yrs.and People I
                  > > know that have bought the Ace end up regreting it.

                • m nelson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 8 7:22 PM
                    Michael:
                    Would you be related to the Dobsons who owned the Minuteman pizza place?
                    Mike Nelson

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 8 7:30 PM
                      Mike:
                      You might also check out the ITTHC that meets in Tulsa once a month at the library over on Mingo. Indian Territories Treasure Hunting Club, it's a great group of people and they have a lot of nice outings. If your interested send me an e-mail and I'll send you the info..

                      ____________ _________ _________ __

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 9 5:25 AM
                        No, I know them but we are not related.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 9 5:25 AM
                          Thanks I will

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 10 9:45 PM
                            go to www.ITTHC.com there are a lot of good people in the club.

                            <skylarloves@ ...> wrote:

                            > Hi Mike!
                            >
                            > My name is Skylar and I am brand new to Oklahoma as well, and would
                            > really love to hook up with you if possible and go metal detecting
                            > with you. I am a Grad School Student in Norman at OU, but would love
                            > to hunt & burn off a few calories on the weekends.
                            >
                            > ~Skylar
                            > Skylar@...
                            >
                            > Please email me and maybe we can connect, along with any one else out
                            > there in the OKC area.
                            >
                            > ps I have also heard that the Tesoro Silver U-Max is a far better buy
                            > than the Ace.
                            >

                            > --- In oklahomametaldetect ingclub@yahoogro ups.com, "Mike"
                            > <dawgman1ok@ > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > --- In oklahomametaldetect ingclub@yahoogro ups.com, "Michael Dobson"
                            > > <mdaviddobson@ > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi everyone, I am wanting to get started in metal detecting, I am 58
                            > > > years old and mt doctor tells me I need to get out and get some
                            > > > exercise and understand that this is a good way. At the same time
                            > > who
                            > > > knows what I might find while I am out. My question is, what is the
                            > > > best way to get started (I know I will need a metal detector) but
                            > > > which one? (I am leaning towards the Garret Ace 250,maimly becuase
                            > > of
                            > > > price and flexibility.
                            > > >
                            > > > What else will I need?
                            > > >
                            > > > Where is the best place to go metal detecting?
                            > > >
                            > > > Where is it legal to search?
                            > > >
                            > > > Where is it illegal to search?
                            > > >
                            > > > I live near the Arkansas River can I hunt along the banks and on the
                            > > > sand bars?
                            > > >
                            > > > These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help I can get
                            > > will
                            > > > be greatlt appreciated. Hey,Mike.I would suggest to purchase a
                            > > Tesoro Silver U-Max instead of the Ace.The Tesoro is more money,but
                            > > it is a much better detector.Plus it's easy to use.And it comes with
                            > > a lifetime warrenty.I have been detecting over 25 yrs.and People I
                            > > know that have bought the Ace end up regreting it.

                          • spikypsyki
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
                              I am new to this. My grandfather passed away a few years ago and i got his White's IDX Pro metal detector. I have no idea what i am doing so and advice on where to look or anything else would be very helpful. Thank you very much.