arrowheads found in Texas?

  • chris
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
      Yard work yields archaeological finds for Seguin man
      By ROGER CROTEAU San Antonio Express-News
      Sept. 28, 2008, 2:02PM
      Share Print Email Del.icio.usDiggTechnoratiYahoo! BuzzSEGUIN — One
      day this past June, Floyd McKee hauled a load of topsoil from near
      the bank of the Guadalupe River, on which his property sits, and
      dumped it on the grass in his yard.

      "It rained that night, and when I went out in the morning, the yard
      was covered with spear points," he said. "I got more dirt and sifted
      it and found a dozen more."

      Surprised, McKee contacted local archaeologists Bob Everett and
      Richard Kinz, both of whom soon declared that McKee's property, near
      Starcke Park, was among the richest Paleo-Indian archaeological finds
      they had ever seen.

      On Saturday, they announced the discovery, some of which will be on
      display next month at the Seguin Heritage Museum for Archaeology
      Awareness Month.

      So far, McKee has excavated a trench about 50 feet long, 10 feet wide
      and 7 feet deep and has found hundreds of spearheads, arrowheads,
      bones and stone tools.

      Archaeologists have dated the artifacts and said they could be as old
      as 11,000 years or as young as 200.

      The Texas Historical Commission said it plans to send a team to
      Seguin next month to check out the find.

      "To be here in the city limits, it's unique," McKee said. "But we
      don't really know what we've got yet."

      McKee's wife, Jody McKee, said the couple suspect that their backyard
      was once an "important trading center."

      "It was like a Wal-Mart for Paleo-Indians," she said.

      Other such trading posts have been unearthed in Bastrop and San
      Marcos.

      Among the finds on the McKee property so far: rare Andice spear
      points; Guadalupe bi-face stone woodworking tools, used to build
      dugout canoes; arrowheads from Oklahoma and Colorado; and cleavers
      and seashells from the coast.

      Michelle Hammond, assistant director of the Seguin Heritage Museum,
      said the facility awaits the artifacts.

      "We're lucky to have such a collection to display at the museum," she
      said.

      The museum is also planning a sort of "artifacts road show" for Oct.
      25 and 26, in which people can bring up to three artifacts for
      archaeologists to examine and identify, she said.
    • chris
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2008
        hey alan another good site to ck out is www.legendsofamerica.com just
        click on the treasure tales/stories site and look under oklahoma and
        then go to the county you desire! good hunting!
        chris