Re: Devil's Canyon

  • Joseph Tyleshevski
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2008
      --- In oklahomametaldetectingclub@yahoogroups.com, "soonermagic_06"
      <soonermagic_06@...> wrote:

      > Yes Devils Canyon is in Kiowa County. Actually it begins in eastern
      > Greer County and goes through into Kiowa County. I'm the former
      > Undersheriff in Greer County, so I'm familiar with that area. Most of
      > the information that you can find on the canyon and the stories of the
      > loot and artifacts are in the kiowa county section. There are not a lot
      > of people that like you out there. But, I'm working on getting
      > permission from a land owner in that area. Could be lots of fun. Also
      > there are a ton of places to go in this area. I just recently took up
      > this hobby, and thought it would be a great relationship builder for me
      > and my teenage son. He's excited about it. So really we are looking
      > forward to getting out and doing anything to get started. Greer County
      > is home to the Jester Caves as well. The largest gypsom caves in
      > america. It stretches somewhere between 5-10 miles in length. several
      > openings. lot's of bats. Kiowa county has a lot of good history and
      > lots of potential hunting spots. Also, I know it has been hit and hit
      > and hit, but the old town of Lugert is also good. Everytime the water
      > goes down more items are brought up closer to the surface.

      Sounds good. Keep me informed. Thanks, Jay
    • chris
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
        Yard work yields archaeological finds for Seguin man
        By ROGER CROTEAU San Antonio Express-News
        Sept. 28, 2008, 2:02PM
        Share Print Email Del.icio.usDiggTechnoratiYahoo! BuzzSEGUIN — One
        day this past June, Floyd McKee hauled a load of topsoil from near
        the bank of the Guadalupe River, on which his property sits, and
        dumped it on the grass in his yard.

        "It rained that night, and when I went out in the morning, the yard
        was covered with spear points," he said. "I got more dirt and sifted
        it and found a dozen more."

        Surprised, McKee contacted local archaeologists Bob Everett and
        Richard Kinz, both of whom soon declared that McKee's property, near
        Starcke Park, was among the richest Paleo-Indian archaeological finds
        they had ever seen.

        On Saturday, they announced the discovery, some of which will be on
        display next month at the Seguin Heritage Museum for Archaeology
        Awareness Month.

        So far, McKee has excavated a trench about 50 feet long, 10 feet wide
        and 7 feet deep and has found hundreds of spearheads, arrowheads,
        bones and stone tools.

        Archaeologists have dated the artifacts and said they could be as old
        as 11,000 years or as young as 200.

        The Texas Historical Commission said it plans to send a team to
        Seguin next month to check out the find.

        "To be here in the city limits, it's unique," McKee said. "But we
        don't really know what we've got yet."

        McKee's wife, Jody McKee, said the couple suspect that their backyard
        was once an "important trading center."

        "It was like a Wal-Mart for Paleo-Indians," she said.

        Other such trading posts have been unearthed in Bastrop and San
        Marcos.

        Among the finds on the McKee property so far: rare Andice spear
        points; Guadalupe bi-face stone woodworking tools, used to build
        dugout canoes; arrowheads from Oklahoma and Colorado; and cleavers
        and seashells from the coast.

        Michelle Hammond, assistant director of the Seguin Heritage Museum,
        said the facility awaits the artifacts.

        "We're lucky to have such a collection to display at the museum," she
        said.

        The museum is also planning a sort of "artifacts road show" for Oct.
        25 and 26, in which people can bring up to three artifacts for
        archaeologists to examine and identify, she said.
      • chris
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2008
          hey alan another good site to ck out is www.legendsofamerica.com just
          click on the treasure tales/stories site and look under oklahoma and
          then go to the county you desire! good hunting!
          chris