Re: [okfeedcoop] alfalfa oat mix

  • Nicole Pool
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
      My experience with the alfala / oat mix is as Cheryl says, the goats are stripping off the oat from the stem and picking through the bales for the alfalfa.  They are leaving at least a third of the bale scattered around the hay feeder.  I find they're going through a bale a day. What's not eaten makes good bedding.  In contrast, when I fed the orchard grass / alfalfa mix, there was very little waste around the hay feeder.  It took the goats two to three days to go through a bale.

      Nicole Pool
      Goat Town USA
      Tahlequah, OK

        • Southchasebt@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
            Ok, here's my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions right?!  The quality of hay can change off the same field one cutting to the next.  Unless you know from a personal experience how ea cutting will turn out you might be wise to buy up as much of what your animals will eat at the time it is available.
            Anytime you change from one field to another or from 1st cutting to (if the farmers are lucky) the 3rd cutting, there is going to be differences and usually an animal that has gotten used to one type will not like a change.
            We bought a few bales from a feed store when bringing home our cow and donk. Nice clean, no weeds, prairie grass sq bales.  Both of the animals had been on cow grade round bales and went nuts for this hay .................. until we bought the oat mix from Kim that is.  Now they use the more expensive hay (btw) as their bed and almost fight over the oat mix.
            So, moral of this long tale is find out what YOUR animals will eat and feed it, stop trashing a product if you keep switching the animals around and they decide they don't like certain ones.  JMO

            Lynda Webb

          • Shawna Brown
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
              Just my two cents.... FWIW..... If the oat hay was actually headed out and the stalks were looking golden then yes you have alfalfa with oat straw.  BUT if the oat portions are green with a supple head then you have oat hay!! There is a BIG difference between supple stage oat and headed out oat. Yes you have a little oat looking top - but headed out oat looks different. Those of you that dont know should look on the internet.  I can not imagine that any hay grower would sell oat straw mixed with alfalfa - but I suppose it could happen. Oat hay is a very good hay and is very good for goats (horses as well). It is harder to grow down here in the south and alot of people are not used to it - nor have even heard of it. My experience with Kim and Suriyah has been wonderful, these ladies are trying to bring a community together and offer you a service. They even loaded my hay!!!!! I bought 100 bales!!! And I drove from Fort Worth Texas to get it!!!  These are probably some of the nicest hardest working people I have met in a long time.  Please try to temper your words and be respectful - I would be offended and hurt if I was in their shoes. We need to come together and help one another, offer suggestions and avenues. We have a great group of people here and should be able to be kind to one another and get past this. Hugs to all.

              Shawna

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
                I havent seen the hay. But they have already explained that the hay was sown as a cover crop for the alfalfa and said that it was in a developed oat head stage..which makes total sense to me. I can see why a hay grower would use oats as a cover crop on a fresh sown alfalfa field and why he would harvest it at that stage. I can also see why it might be harvested at a green stage if the alfalfa was ready to harvest at that point. That would make it all edible but you would lose the real nutrtional value of the oat hay..which is in the developed head.

                There are other reasons why oats field are sometimes harvested as head on oat straw. A very wet summer where they cant get the threashers in to harvest the oat field is one reason. The oat head gets too old for harvesting for human consumption but its still great for animal feed. They will often bale it that way as oat hay because its less expensive to  bale it than to harvest it and sell it as a low quality whole oat. They can sometimes make more money from it as oat hay..depending on the price of oats at the time of harvest. Oat hay isnt something that sheep/goat ppl are used to seeing used as feed but its not at all an uncommon feed for horse ppl to use. We typically fed it to the horses in late winter/early summer as the pasture is coming in..in the years that we could get it at a decent price. Like i said before..baled at the right stage, which is sounds like it is..its a very nutrative feed, though they do strip the oats off and eat them and leave the stalk part. Thats normal. Just as its normal for them to leave behind some of the tougher alfafla stalks. Horses and cows leave less of the stalk behind than sheep or goats. My sheep and goats probably eat more of the tough stuff than some since they forage year round. Ive owned some really picky goats in the past..the ones that I have now arent since they were raised from babies on pasture and woods.

                And i agree with you 100%. Great family! Though i havent had the pleasure of meeting them in person yet Ive known Kim online for several years now and Suriyah and Todahyah for several months.

                I think ppl also need to keep in mind that you get what you pay for. At these prices at this time of year for a *truly* prime alfalfa bale..expect to pay $15+. For truly prime oat hay.. at least $10. So if your getting an alfalfa oat hay for what were they charging..$6? You got a steal of a deal and if theres a little wastage..so what? Thats how i felt about the alfalfa i got. It was $6 a bale..if i have to throw away a couple flakes from a couple bales out of 25 bales.. big deal! I threw away more than that from the alfalfa from the feed store and it was $10 a bale. Its just a reality that alfalfa doesnt store as well as grass..late in the winter alfalfas going to have some wastage. If you cant handle that then buy chaffhaye and pay $15 a 50lb bag. Me..i'll toss a few flakes away.

                I think the confusion comes when ppl dont know just what they are getting and like Misty..she saw a lot of straw left over and assumed the hay was garbage cause the critters werent eating it. Instead of realizing that they had indeed already ate what they were supposed to from it. That is how oat hay is fed.

                On the flip side if ppl dont speak up and ask about something they dont understand about the hay they got or if it they dont feel comfortable expressing concern about the hay they got, if they are concerned, then Kim and her family wont know if the majority of the ppl who bought that type of hay are liking it or not. They obviously need and want to buy what ppl like and will use..they need feedback..but i agree..the word *garbage* would have upset me too. It did upset me..and im not even them.

                I hope it lasts til their next time into Tulsa..cause i want to try some! You guys come in the third thurs right?

[...]

              • Susan Perkins
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
                  I haven't ordered hay, but I know Kim and Suriyah are some of the nicest most honest people I know, I have bought goats from them and they always try to help everyone. They always answer any of my dumb questions right away. So I also hate to hear anyone say bad things about the hay, when they are trying to help everyone.  Lets all be sweet, and yes hay from the feed store is outrages priced so even if you have a little the goats won't eat I'm sure it is still a savings.  If I didn't live so far from them I would gladly order from them cause here at our feed store we pay 13.00 a bale for alfalfa and 9.00 for prairie hay. and the alfalfa has some bad spots so nothing is perfect.  The Fishes are the best in my book. Susan

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
                    Here's the deal - None of us were offended over here at the Fish house. There are no hard feelings toward Misty at all.
                    Some animals will like the hay, others won't . . . we can only speak from our experience. Our experience has been that we have milk & meat goats that have stayed big and healthy through this last winter on this hay, we have milk goats that are giving us upwards of a 1/2 to 1 gallon a day on grain on the milk stand and this hay (we have completely dropped the alfalfa pellets out of our budget) and, the price can't be beat - why pay $7 to 8 for bermuda or prairie when we can get alfalfa mixes at $5?
                    Cheryl, our next Tulsa appt is Monday, March 15th. Depending on our vehicle situation will determine if we can bring some hay in. I know there are others towards Broken Arrow and Tulsa that want hay. Maybe some of you can work out having one person coming and getting a load.

[...]

                  • Cheryl
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
                      Thanks Kim! Let me know. If you do decide to bring a trailer full in or if someone from the Tulsa area comes to get some.. id love to have 40 bales and id be happy to help with gas money. I didnt see the  trailer since Den unloaded it after dark that night but i think it was a little too full for safe hauling with 50 bales on it. We need a bigger trailer, both for the farm and for the deck business...but thats not going to happen til deck season gets into full swing so we are making do borrowing Hamids trailer. We only have a 4' trailer..cant get nearly enough on it!

                      Of course id take less too..whatever someone can haul for me..up to 40 bales. I might be able to talk Den into a trip to Tahlequah but im not betting on it. Hes been working 7 day weeks for the last month. About the only time hes home is when its raining..and of course thats not a good time to haul hay lol!

                      Cheryl

                      >Cheryl, our
                      next Tulsa appt is Monday, March 15th. Depending on our vehicle situation will determine if we can bring some hay in. I know there are others towards Broken Arrow and Tulsa that want hay. Maybe some of you can work out having one person coming and getting >a load.
                    • Good Goats
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
                        Well, thank you Shawna, Cheryl, Susan and everyone else for your kind words.

                        As far as feedback on the hay, of course I want comments, good or bad, on whether you like the hay or not. I want to have hay available that people like and their animals do well on it. Ours have done great, but everyone's animals are different, that is for sure!!

                        Thank you all and have a good evening!

                        ~ Suriyah
                        ________
                        Good Goats ~ Mini Nubian Dairy & Meat Goats in NE Oklahoma,

                        ~ Repent now, or you will be eternally sorry!
                        a true church
                        www.atruechurch.info

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
                          I am in the planning stages for a trip to Fayettville, AR, for milk jugs.  The come in gallon size or half gallon size and include lids.  I get them at the Hiland Bottling Plant and the jugs are the same as you see in stores selling Hiland milk.

                          The gallon size come in flats of 48 and the half gallon come in flats of 140.  Prices vary depending on the time of the year and the price of oil,  but the gallon size are about $28.00 a flat and the half gallons about $30.00 a flat.

                          I can usually haul more flats than I buy, so if anyone is interested, please let me know.  I don't plan a trip before March 17th, and would confirm prices beforehand.

                          Nicole Pool
                          Goat Town USA
                          Tahlequah, OK

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
                            Message
                            We get ours from Borden here in Tulsa, would that be closer?

                            MercyFarms

                            Micah 7:18 The Lord delights in Mercy

                            Dave & Joanne Wilson

                            Broken Arrow, Ok

                            918-449-8221

                            http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M22082

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
                              It depends on where in Tulsa. For me, the trip to Hiland in Fayetteville is 60 miles each way.

                              Nicole Pool
                              Goat Town USA
                              Tahlequah, OK

                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 1, 2010
                                Oh it's probably the same distance then...3st and denver-downtown Tulsa