Re: Milestone question

  • Jim Bowery
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
      --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, David Miller <riley_4_prez@...>
      wrote:
      > Jim Bowery wrote:
      > > The real milestone will be reached when:
      > > http://oilprize.org
      > > has an entry for algae biodiesel.
      > > Currently, it is simply not on the market for any price.
      > I don't think there's a significant difference

      The purpose of The Oil Prize is to establish a limited market context
      for algae-derived products if one does not currently exist. In the
      case of biodiesel, when the second stage of TOP is funded there will
      be a price for algae-derived biodiesel because each month some amount
      of money will be available for purchasing it, pretty much regardless
      of the price.

      One interesting phenomenon is that there _is_ a market for algae DHA
      (Omega-3) despite the relative immaturity of that mode of production.
      The reasons for this are unclear but the fact that government
      initiatives to supplement school meals with Omega-3 are being held up
      by the limits on fish-oil production imposed by global over-fishing is
      indicative that there is tremendous potential there for algae-derived
      Omega-3 substitutes.