Re: [oil_from_algae] Re: From one cell alga to energy mass, oil: to make gasoline, jet fuel or diesel

  • Jorge Pang
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2008

      Bruce,

      Could you tell me what is the maximum cell density you have achieve with BBBs2009 in 7 days?

      Jorge
      email : jlpang@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2008
        Bruce,

        Thank you fro reporting your results.

        Congratulations on getting things to work and on bringing down costs.  A long way to go, but you are making progress.  Once we get lots of people working on it, we may be able to drive costs down even more.

        Bobby

        On 10/1/08, lendlabs <lendlabs@...> wrote:

        To Everyone,
        2008 was an interesting year.Every 2007 's test produced the very same
        results. 100% of the B.Braunii reserves are active so we will be able to

        --
        Toward freedom,

        Bobby Yates Emory
      • lendlabs
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2008
          Jorge,
          The Max cell density for the 13 week grow out was about 50% of the light
          being adsorbed. We have not run the best of test system for s2009 yet
          but plan to use 4,000 total ml in four samples.. like sherry wine we
          take half the last bottle and move up 500ml from each until last
          bottle.. after the oil is removed from the extra-cellular and with
          little damage to the B.Braunii S200x it is placed in the primary
          bottle.. I do this one time a week.
          The only bottle that has the powder base of ash, dirt and bones is the
          primary or the bottle we replace the solution in.. After this we add
          distilled water to replace volume. I plan to increase the amount of
          solution used to extract next year to 12.5%( 4,000ml vs 5,000ml.

          Thank-you
          --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Jorge Pang <jlpang@...> wrote:

          > Bruce,
          >
          > Could you tell me what is the maximum cell density you have achieve
          with BBBs2009 in 7 days?

          > Jorge
          > email : jlpang@...

        • Kian Wee Tian
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2008
            Hi, what is it mean by cell density for the 13 week grow out was about 50% of the light being adsorbed?
            Tian

            The Max cell density for the 13 week grow out was about 50% of the light
            being adsorbed. We have not run the best of test system for s2009 yet
            but plan to use 4,000 total ml in four samples.. like sherry wine we
            take half the last bottle and move up 500ml from each until last
            bottle.. after the oil is removed from the extra-cellular and with
            little damage to the B.Braunii S200x it is placed in the primary
            bottle.. I do this one time a week.
            The only bottle that has the powder base of ash, dirt and bones is the
            primary or the bottle we replace the solution in.. After this we add
            distilled water to replace volume. I plan to increase the amount of
            solution used to extract next year to 12.5%( 4,000ml vs 5,000ml.

            Thank-you
            --- In oil_from_algae@ yahoogroups. com, Jorge Pang <jlpang@...> wrote:

            > Bruce,
            >
            > Could you tell me what is the maximum cell density you have achieve
            with BBBs2009 in 7 days?

            > Jorge
            > email : jlpang@...

          • lendlabs
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 8, 2008
              Tian,
              WE have used the light adsorption rather then cell count as a line in
              the sand.. When we get to a set value we do our test and recycle growth
              media/ live cells. It is also quick to do as we keep the samples where
              we can get a quick reading.. It may not be the best system but we can
              get data with photo equipment that is very close to turbidity data..
              Also can use filters for red green and blue...

              Thank-you.. I hope this was usefull.
              Bruce
              --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Kian Wee Tian <s_beckian@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi, what is it mean by cell density for the 13 week grow out was about
              50% of the light being adsorbed?

              > Tian

            • Kian Wee Tian
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 9, 2008
                Hi Bruce,

                Ya that's true, I'm not sure there is a perfect method to measure cell density.

                If we measure cell density using dry weight (by drying the culture medium without filtration), we will have extracellular mucilage or secretion that add to the weight. If you filter them prior drying, some of the cell will clog the filter and the filtration become very slow, and even stop even if pressure is added. We'll lose some cell mass that stuck in the filter as well. Centrifugation is a good way also but waste energy when you have tons of them.

                For your case, using photometer, i'm not sure if you aware that the dead cells release chlorophylls and other pigments that add to the turbidity of the culture medium, which will cause some deviations. This issue can be minimized if it is batch mode. And also many algae forms colonies, so you will need to break the colonies into individual cells so that the photo spec can read or detect the absorbance better. The good thing about the photometer measurement is the cell can be recovered.

                Any other better way?

                href="mailto:oil_from_algae%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:oil_from_algae%40yahoogroups.com">oil_from_algae@ yahoogroups. com
                > Sent: Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:43:25 PM
                > Subject: [oil_from_algae] Re: From one cell alga to energy mass, oil:
                to make gasoline, jet fuel or diesel

                > Jorge,
                > The Max cell density for the 13 week grow out was about 50% of the
                light
                > being adsorbed. We have not run the best of test system for s2009 yet
                > but plan to use 4,000 total ml in four samples.. like sherry wine we
                > take half the last bottle and move up 500ml from each until last
                > bottle.. after the oil is removed from the extra-cellular and with
                > little damage to the B.Braunii S200x it is placed in the primary
                > bottle.. I do this one time a week.
                > The only bottle that has the powder base of ash, dirt and bones is the
                > primary or the
                bottle we replace the solution in.. After this we add
                > distilled water to replace volume. I plan to increase the amount of
                > solution used to extract next year to 12.5%( 4,000ml vs 5,000ml.
                >
                > Thank-you
                > --- In oil_from_algae@ yahoogroups. com, Jorge Pang jlpang@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Bruce,
                > >
                > > Could you tell me what is the maximum cell density you have achieve
                > with BBBs2009 in 7 days?
                > >
                > > Jorge
                > > email : jlpang@

              • Carroll Lendrum
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 9, 2008
                  Tain,
                   Yes we can get an added reading in old systems but the new systems we have found little red or blue adsorption from the filtered solution.. We can use light of different wavelengths to find the net amount of growth.  After we crossed the line to start the system is only used to monitor.  It is the best thing I know of with my equipment.
                  You can note changes in color also with the eye, when BbB changes from green to reddish/orange etc..
                  Doi you have any interest in B.Braunii Race B. for the production of gasoline or jet fuel or is it just diesel? If you have an older system many can use the oil as number three diesel ( not used much any more).  Most of the older power systems that need number three diesel just add oil ( 30wt ND) to make it slicker.

                  wrote:

                  > Hi, what is it mean by cell density for the 13 week grow out was about
                  50% of the light being adsorbed?

                  > Tian

                • lendlabs
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 24, 2008
                    to all.. I think this talks about the idea that the samples most be read
                    on the low end of turbidity as the algae grows.. not after it is active
                    unless you are looking for conversion from green to red when production
                    of oil happens... Esp with B.Braunii.. You need filters or LEDs of Know
                    wave lenght... Please read all of the messages...
                    --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Carroll Lendrum <lendlabs@...>