Inactivity

  • pezz351
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
      Whats the story here? Is there anyone besides UNH that is doing
      algae research? I have read most of the NREL ASP and am wondering
      why this idea is not being spread as quickly as it should.

      We know that we can grow algae in the raceway ponds. We know we can
      squeeze the oil out and make biodiesel.

      Anyone have any test ponds besides ecogenics?
      What algae is being used for growth?

      -Mike
    • adeel paracha
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005

        Hello.

        Can you or any one guide me how to produce algae in a water of fish pond and how to extract oil from it .

        Thanks,

        Adeel Paracha

        >From: "pezz351" <pezz351@...>
        >To: oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [oil_from_algae] Inactivity
        >Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:46:39 -0000
        >

        >Whats the story here? Is there anyone besides UNH that is doing
        >algae research? I have read most of the NREL ASP and am wondering
        >why this idea is not being spread as quickly as it should.
        >
        >We know that we can grow algae in the raceway ponds. We know we can
        >squeeze the oil out and make biodiesel.
        >
        >Anyone have any test ponds besides ecogenics?
        >What algae is being used for growth?
        >
        >-Mike

      • Marc de Piolenc
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
          I suspect that the seeming lack of activity in
          microalgae culture research for this purpose has two
          main causes:

          The generally negative tone of the DoE report on their
          efforts, despite the many favorable points presented
          in the body of their report and in the literature at
          large.

          The fact that scum isn't "sexy" - not a good magnet
          for grant money.

          Research into anaerobic digestion has similar
          handicaps, but at least the need to dispose of sewage
          efficiently keeps some money flowing.

          Best,

          Marc de Piolenc
          --- pezz351 <pezz351@...> wrote:

          > Whats the story here? Is there anyone besides UNH
          > that is doing
          > algae research? I have read most of the NREL ASP and
          > am wondering
          > why this idea is not being spread as quickly as it
          > should.

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • Bobby Yates Emory
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
            Marc,

            I'm more optimistic. We don't have to wait for a bureaucrat to
            decide oil from algae is sexy. This is not rocket science, we can
            start now with what we have. Nothing we need to do is dangerous or
            expensive or high tech. All of the research can be done in your spare
            room or backyard. We can push the science forward.

            When we get positive results, we can send them around the world in a
            day with the Internet. We don't have to wait for big oil to agree
            with us. If we tell the Chinese and Indians how to make diesel fuel
            from algae, the world oil crisis is over in 2 months.

            (Exceptions: When making biodiesel, two dangerous chemicals are
            involved. There are some forms of algae that produce toxins. We may
            need genetic engineering to get the maximum production. Some people
            want to use centrifuges - they can get expensive - but there are
            probably other ways.)

            Bobby

            PS. Algae has been proposed for both sewage treatment and stack gas
            remediation. A company in Boston has bio - reactors in operation.

            On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:03:42 -0800 (PST), Marc de Piolenc
            <fmdepiolenc@...> wrote:

            > I suspect that the seeming lack of activity in
            > microalgae culture research for this purpose has two
            > main causes:
            >
            > The generally negative tone of the DoE report on their
            > efforts, despite the many favorable points presented
            > in the body of their report and in the literature at
            > large.
            >
            > The fact that scum isn't "sexy" - not a good magnet
            > for grant money.
            >
            > Research into anaerobic digestion has similar
            > handicaps, but at least the need to dispose of sewage
            > efficiently keeps some money flowing.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Marc de Piolenc
            > --- pezz351 <pezz351@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Whats the story here? Is there anyone besides UNH
            > > that is doing
            > > algae research? I have read most of the NREL ASP and
            > > am wondering
            > > why this idea is not being spread as quickly as it
            > > should.

            Toward freedom,

            Bobby Yates Emory
          • Marc de Piolenc
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
              --- Bobby Yates Emory <liberty1@...> wrote:

              > I'm more optimistic. We don't have to wait for a
              > bureaucrat to
              > decide oil from algae is sexy. This is not rocket
              > science, we can
              > start now with what we have. Nothing we need to do
              > is dangerous or
              > expensive or high tech. All of the research can be
              > done in your spare
              > room or backyard. We can push the science forward.

              I agree. I am not a pessimist. I was giving my opinion
              of the reason for the lack of official activity, NOT
              arguing for inactivity on our part. Rather the
              reverse.
              With the big players absent from the field, there's
              not only a good chance that we will succeed, but that
              the biggies will then come to us for solutions when
              they finally wake up to the possibilities.

              > When we get positive results, we can send them
              > around the world in a
              > day with the Internet. We don't have to wait for
              > big oil to agree
              > with us. If we tell the Chinese and Indians how to
              > make diesel fuel
              > from algae, the world oil crisis is over in 2
              > months.

              Well, make it a couple of years. But yes, definitely a
              positive step no matter what the correct time scale
              turns out to be.

              > (Exceptions: When making biodiesel, two dangerous
              > chemicals are
              > involved. There are some forms of algae that
              > produce toxins. We may
              > need genetic engineering to get the maximum
              > production. Some people
              > want to use centrifuges - they can get expensive -
              > but there are
              > probably other ways.)

              According to the 1953 Carnegie Institute study, and
              depending on the specific organism, it is possible to
              pre-concentrate the most oil-laden fraction of the
              population automatically, as part of the circulation
              process that exposes the algae to an optimum
              light/dark cycle. The harvested fraction is already at
              a high concentration, which reduced drastically the
              cost of further concentration. Not just that: the
              organisms you want to harvest settle out
              preferentially, further increasing the economy of the
              process.

              Marc

              The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
              http://my.yahoo.com
            • Bobby Yates Emory
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
                Marc,

                Do you have an URL (or other citation info) for the 1953 Carnegie study?

                Bobby

                On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 02:25:18 -0800 (PST), Marc de Piolenc
                <fmdepiolenc@...> wrote:

                > --- Bobby Yates Emory <liberty1@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I'm more optimistic. We don't have to wait for a
                > > bureaucrat to
                > > decide oil from algae is sexy. This is not rocket
                > > science, we can
                > > start now with what we have. Nothing we need to do
                > > is dangerous or
                > > expensive or high tech. All of the research can be
                > > done in your spare
                > > room or backyard. We can push the science forward.
                >
                > I agree. I am not a pessimist. I was giving my opinion
                > of the reason for the lack of official activity, NOT
                > arguing for inactivity on our part. Rather the
                > reverse.
                > With the big players absent from the field, there's
                > not only a good chance that we will succeed, but that
                > the biggies will then come to us for solutions when
                > they finally wake up to the possibilities.
                >
                > > When we get positive results, we can send them
                > > around the world in a
                > > day with the Internet. We don't have to wait for
                > > big oil to agree
                > > with us. If we tell the Chinese and Indians how to
                > > make diesel fuel
                > > from algae, the world oil crisis is over in 2
                > > months.
                >
                > Well, make it a couple of years. But yes, definitely a
                > positive step no matter what the correct time scale
                > turns out to be.
                >
                > > (Exceptions: When making biodiesel, two dangerous
                > > chemicals are
                > > involved. There are some forms of algae that
                > > produce toxins. We may
                > > need genetic engineering to get the maximum
                > > production. Some people
                > > want to use centrifuges - they can get expensive -
                > > but there are
                > > probably other ways.)
                >
                > According to the 1953 Carnegie Institute study, and
                > depending on the specific organism, it is possible to
                > pre-concentrate the most oil-laden fraction of the
                > population automatically, as part of the circulation
                > process that exposes the algae to an optimum
                > light/dark cycle. The harvested fraction is already at
                > a high concentration, which reduced drastically the
                > cost of further concentration. Not just that: the
                > organisms you want to harvest settle out
                > preferentially, further increasing the economy of the
                > process.
                >
                > Marc

                Toward freedom,

                Bobby Yates Emory
              • Marc de Piolenc
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
                  I have it in hardcopy - just another book in my
                  collection. I will scan it in sections, as time
                  permits.

                  Marc
                  --- Bobby Yates Emory <liberty1@...> wrote:

                  > Marc,
                  >
                  > Do you have an URL (or other citation info) for the
                  > 1953 Carnegie study?

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Bobby Yates Emory
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 3, 2005
                    Marc,

                    That would be great. From your comments, it sounds like it has some
                    practical ideas for us.

                    Bobby

                    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 02:45:30 -0800 (PST), Marc de Piolenc
                    <fmdepiolenc@...> wrote:
                    > I have it in hardcopy - just another book in my
                    > collection. I will scan it in sections, as time
                    > permits.
                    >
                    > Marc
                    > --- Bobby Yates Emory <liberty1@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Marc,
                    > >
                    > > Do you have an URL (or other citation info) for the
                    > > 1953 Carnegie study?

                    Toward freedom,

                    Bobby Yates Emory