Re: [oil_from_algae] Screw Press-Extraction

  • Rowland Andrade
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 1, 2007
      Bobby,

      After the process,

      what should I use to test the oil so I can be sure it is ready to be used for biodiesel?

      Should I run it through a gas chromatograph? What do you reccommend? If you think a gas chromatograph would work, what should the reading say?

      Thank you,

      Rowland

      Bobby Yates Emory <liberty1@...> wrote:
      Rowland,

      I do not know the answer - these are my guesses - if someone knows the correct procedure, please post.

      1. I would add enough hexane to flood the algae (using more costs extra, but should not hurt anything.)

      2. No.  I would put both the algae and the hexane in a bottle that can be capped.  Then shake it up and let stand for an hour.  Then pour off the liquid.  Pour in a shallow pan and put in the sun to let the hexane evaporate (If you are going to be doing this often, you will need to work out a better way.)

      3.  After you shake it up, it should work on its on.  I would not run it through the screwpress again.

      Remember - it is dangerous - do all this in a well ventilated area.

      Bobby

      On 10/30/07, Rowland Andrade <rowlandandrade@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Wow,

      thanks for the safety precautions Bobby.

      I have a couple of questions that I hope you or david can answer for me.

      1.     How much hexane do I need to add to it.
      2.     Do I add anything else to the pressed algae besides the hexane?
      3.     After I have added the hexane to the algae, what will happen? Will it automatically start extracting the oil or do I need to run it through the screw press again?
      After I run the hexane, I don't mind doing two more tests. One using Acetone and another one using gasoline.

      Thanks for everything Bobby and David.

      Please Advise.

      Rowland

      Bobby Yates Emory < liberty1@gmail. com> wrote:
      Rowland,

      I forgot to say - be very careful with hexane - it is a dangerous chemical - do not breathe it.

      Bobby

      On 10/30/07, Rowland Andrade < rowlandandrade@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Bobby,

      Where can i get the solvent from?

      After I can find this out, I can immediately do the testing and send you a video recording of the testing.

      Thank you,

      Rowland

      Bobby Yates Emory < liberty1@gmail. com> wrote:
      Rowland,

      I would take a small representative sample of the algae cake after you have pressed it.  Dry it and use solvent extraction to see how much oil was left in the algae.  (If the press gets 2/3 of the oil, then it is a success - don't expect it to get all the oil.)

      Please let us know what screwpress you used, what the results were, and any other facts that you think will help or cause problems for others.

      Bobby

      On 10/30/07, Rowland Andrade < rowlandandrade@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Bobby,

      I have acess to a screw press and would like to test the method. The only problem is, I don't know how.

      After I put the algae in the screwpress, and after it has pressed, how do i test it?

      Thanks,

      Rowland.

      Bobby Yates Emory < liberty1@gmail. com > wrote:
      Rowland,

      This has not been tested.  Several people have suggested it.  I am concerned that, since the individual algae cells are so small, they may squirt right through the grating in the screwpress.  On the other hand, maybe the algae will clump together enough that the press will be able to develop enough pressure to break the cell walls.  It should be tested.

      Bobby

      On 10/29/07, rowlandandrade < rowlandandrade@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      It was mentioned to me today that you could place algae in a screw
      press and extract the oil. Then run it through a water filtering unit.
      Is this true? To me it really doesn't seem to be that easy.

      please advise

      rowland

      --
      Toward freedom,

      Bobby Yates Emory

      --
      Toward freedom,

      Bobby Yates Emory

      --
      Toward freedom,

      Bobby Yates Emory

      --
      Toward freedom,

      Bobby Yates Emory

    • Bobby Yates Emory
      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 11, 2007
        Rowland,

        I should have mentioned:  Most vegetable oil are normally filtered, degummed and purified before they are transesterfied.

        We don't know what will be necessary to do to process algae oil before it can be tranesterfied.  I hope that we will be able to use it "raw", but we don't know.

        Bioking reported that they were able to transesterfy algae oil without pre-processing.

        Bobby

        On 11/3/07, Bobby Yates Emory <liberty1@...> wrote:
        Quemala,

        Good points.

        Rowland has algae oil and wants to test it to see if it is OK to make biodiesel with.

        I think there may be tests that could be used, but I think the best thing for him to do is to try to transesterify a small amount.  Steve Spence started with wine bottles - about 1 liter.  So Rowland could just start with about one liter in a bottle.  Titrate first and if the results are reasonable, try a  half liter of the oil.  If Rowland can find someone where he is who has brewed biodiesel, that guy could probably help him.

        (Steve was doing WVO.  The point was that transesterfication works with small volumes.  Mark at Ecogenics has a picture of a half full Eldermeyer(SP?) flask of biodiesel from algae.)

        The only algae that will not work is BB.  If Rowland is not growing that, he should be OK.

        (BB produces an oil that is more like crude oil than a vegetable oil - it has to be cracked.)
        Bobby

        On 11/3/07, Quemala <quemala31@... > wrote:

        I forget to tell write this in the other message....

        "How can i test it to make sure if its indeed a triglyceride."

        I think there's not a home test you could easily make and determinate
        if it's really triglycerides (well that's what I think...I am not
        really a chemestry) you may go to a special lab and tell them you want
        to quantify the amount of triglycerides you have there...and they can
        certainly tell you wich is the test to do...sorry I can't really help
        with this...

        And what somebody says there about: "For example, palm, corn, soy, or
        canola oil can all be converted nicely. Eucolyptus can't - it's not a
        triglyceride"....what is it if it's not a triglyceride??....if it's
        FFA (free fatty acids) you could transform to biodiesel but as
        somebody tells too esterification is not a good idea for people that's
        starting with the production of biodiesel...is better to make test
        with alimentary grade oil at first, then make others with used oil
        with low FFA content and then experimentate with higher and worst raw
        material....

        --
        Toward freedom,

        Bobby Yates Emory