Re: Algae Oil Calculations

  • navid
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi bobby,

      to the best of my knowledge, the conversion rate is 1:1 but you will
      end up with 10-15% glycerol.

      Navid

      --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, "Bobby Yates Emory"
      <liberty1@...> wrote:

      > Navid,
      >
      > Isn't the usual yield of biodiesel from oil about 80%? So
      wouldn't you end
      > up with .8 X 250 or 200 L?
      >
      > (Another reason why I think SVO may be a better long-term solution
      than
      > biodiesel - I hate giving up 20% of our output.)
      >
      > Bobby
      >
      > On 5/31/07, navid <n_moheimani@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Atma
      > >
      > > Here are the basic calulations for you:
      > >
      > > 1 metric ton = 1000 Kg
      > > Resulting in:
      > > 1000 x 0.2 = 200 Kg (assuming 20% lipid content and the
      conversion
      > > factor of 1:1)
      > > Density of B100 = 0.88
      > > Then 200 Kg = 250 L
      > > 1 barrel is = 159 L
      > > So from 1 ton of algae with 20% oil we should be able to produce
      > > 1.567 barrel (roughly)
      > >
      > > The rest of calculations should be straight forward.
      > >
      > > Navid
      > >
      > > --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com <oil_from_algae%
      40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > Atma Roberts <cruzgrrl11@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone have the calculation handy for the # of gallons of
      > > biodiesel that can be produced from one ton of algal dry weight,
      > > assuming that the algal lipid content is around 20%? Would
      someone
      > > walk me through that calculation. Projecting forward, how much
      algae
      > > cake would be needed to to fuel all of the cars in California on
      > > daily or yearly basis?
      > > > -Atma

      > > _______________
      > > > Be a PS3 game guru.
      > > > Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at
      > > Yahoo! Games.
      > > > http://videogames.yahoo.com/platform?platform=120121
      > > >

      > --
      > Toward freedom,
      >
      > Bobby Yates Emory

    • Bobby Yates Emory
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
        Navid,

        I think you are correct.

        The process splits the original oil molecule apart and substitutes alcohol for part of it.  You only end up with 80% of the original oil, but you add 20% of alcohol to it, so you end up 1:1.  And about 20% glycerol.

        These are rough percentages and your 10-15% may be closer.

        Bobby

        --
        Toward freedom,

        Bobby Yates Emory