VENTURE CAPITAL MONEY AVAILABLE FOR ALGAE, IN ITALY

  • Arrigo della Gherardesca
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
      Dear Forum Members,

      Some days ago, I informed you that one of my customers, here in
      Italy, had lots of money to invest on algae; actually, I stated:

      ..if I say:

      OK, I have a BIG, top quality investor, here in Italy, willing to
      spend $ 5 million on a pilot project for producing algae oil at fuel-
      competitive prices (WHICH IS, IN FACT, THE CASE), let us sign a heavy
      duty Confidentiality / Non-Disclosure Agreement, and show me your
      feasibility study / financial projections, lab tests, pilot project,
      etc.

      probably, no one shows up.

      As I was forecasting, very little realistic showed up.
      QUOD ERAT DEMONSTRANDUM
      (Latin for "what had to be demonstrated")

      So, just in case someone with a "real" project skipped the first
      message, I make my statement a little more clear.

      In Italy, not only we are subject to Kyoto Protocol emission
      reductions, which most of the world isn't, but even Local Authorities
      are very strict on emissions, pollutions, etc.

      Specifically, my customer owns a big coal-fired-power-plant, for
      which he is in a difficult legal battle with the Local Authority,
      requesting it to physically reduce CO2 emissions by 2 million tons a
      year (and other gasses and pollutants, too).

      Do you imagine how much that costs, if you have a c-f-p-p? Having to
      restructure it to go, say, on natural gas, having the n.g. pipeline
      reach your plant, etc.?

      Enormous costs, way above few million euros or dollars, to be
      invested in a pilot algae project that might give the answer to this
      very BIG problem…

      So, once again, the money is abundantly available, here, for anything
      that could gobble up BIG amounts of CO2, at a cost below that of
      expensive alternatives.

      By the way, the Biodiesel industry is exploding here, and they are
      rushing all over looking to import rapeseed, palm, etc. oil, with
      prices of these feedstocks going through the roof…

      And this kind of BIG venture capital money, that comes out of
      necessity (not just a belief in a technology, hoping to make a future
      business out of it), is not available elsewhere, as far as I know.

      So, if anyone has some realistic project to propose, please let me
      know. Italy could be where your business takes of!

      All my best,

      Dr. Arrigo della Gherardesca

      Green Energy ITALIA srl
      Via Crocefisso, 5
      20122 Milano
      ITALY

      arrigo.dg@...
      +39 02 462477 +39 337 302794
    • Perry Humphrey
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
        Dear dr Gherardesca

        I have been a regular observer of the [oil from algae] forum.  I missed your first post, so I'm happy you re-posted.  My name is Perry Humphrey.  I have an erstwhile client who has, he says, a working concept for producing oil, or alternatively, coal substitute, from algae.  (He says the cake left from the processing of oil can be burned directly in coal-fired generators) I have already forwarded the gist of your post from Sunday to my client.  I'm not certain if he'd be willing to put up a pilot project there because he's already in the midst of constructing one here in the states (eastern), and I'm not sure how much of his time it's taking.  However, your proposal looks good enough that I at least wanted him to read it for himself and make his decision.
        By the way, I have his business plan and some of his projected costs for the USA operation, and it looks on the surface like a full-scale working plant of his design could be put together for the amount you posted, subject to his approval.
        If my contact responds, (sometimes hard to contact) I will be in immediate touch with you
        Sincerely,

        Perry L Humphrey, III
        Humphrey Enterprises Florida
        1-786-390-7421 Cell