Re: get it done

  • Salvador
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 1 4:59 AM
      Bobby,

      It seems you are talking about GreenFuel Technologies on MIT
      http://www.greenfuelonline.com

      There seems to be a new development as it can be seen on
      http://www.sciam.com/linktous.cfm?articleID=00000819-0BA7-1306-8A6883414B7F0000
      "Fighting factory CO2 emissions with cyanobacteria"

      It would be very interesting to get more info on these projects. The
      problem here unfortunatelly are patents.

      Salva

      --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Bobby Yates Emory
      <liberty1@g...> wrote:
> [...]
      > algae. The fibreglass may reduce the light flux too much. What some
      people
      > are using are the glass tubes that are used to make fluorescent
      light bulbs
      > (not recycled, clean ones that were never made into lights). Design
      a two
      > level stack and you are up to 8+'.
      >
      > The raceway ponds that I plan to use sound fancy but are dead
      simple. They
      > involve leveling the dirt, putting landscape timbers around it, and
      laying
      > visqueen across the dirt and over the landscape timbers. Very low
      tech. When
      > we get to farm size ponds, it will be level the ground and scoop out
      6" of
      > dirt. That's it - visqueen is too expensive. Low tech - low expense.
      >
      > On the top of the cogeneration plant at MIT there are tubes like you
      are
      > talking about that are about 18" in diameter and 7 ' tall (guessing
      from a
      > photograph). They claim that they are growing algae, but they are
      trying to
      > remove the CO2 from the stack gases, not grow algae for oil. So
      tanks like
      > you are talking about can be made to work. But they are setting on
      top of a
      > generator plant. They have not explained how they are doing it. So two
      > points: 1. We don't know how to grow algae in vertical tubes. 2.They
      have
      > all the electricity they could ever want. They may be using a lot of
      power
      > to bubble CO2 and air thru those tubes. We have to buy our
      electricity. I
      > feel that any tube over 6" is wasted, unless you have agitation to
      move each
      > algae cell over to the light. Their bubbling CO2 may be providing the
      > agitation. It may be too expensive for most people who are not
      sitting on
      > top of a generator, to grow algae in vertical tubes. The experts
      have said,
      > grow algae in raceway ponds. We have the book by the expert on
      growing algae
      > in raceway ponds, so we know how to do that.
      >
      > What we need to find out now is how to grow the algae, how to
      separate the
      > oil, how to purify the oil, and then prove we can put it to some
      practical
      > use. Until we have done all that, there is no point in inventing tanks.
      >
      > You have gotten way ahead of where we are now.
      >
      > But, of course, this is a volunteer project, so if building tanks is
      what
      > you want to do, build some nice ones.
      >
      > In your calculations you only considered the algae, not the water. I
      assume
      > you would need 10 times as much to allow for the water. (That was a
      SWAG.)
      > The research project in Australia found doubling times around 2 days
      (+/- 1
      > day). Sounds to me like every two days, you can harvest half the
      algae in
      > your tank and two days later, it will have grown back. So you can get
      > 3.5harvests per week, so divide by
      > 3.5 or so. Like most plants, algae will grow best in the summer, do
      you may
      > need to plan for most of you algae to grow in 3 months, with little
      growth
      > the other 9. My second generation plan includes pumping, but that
      may be too
      > expensive, or in other words, the algae growth you get in the winter
      may not
      > be enough to power the daily pumping.
      >
      > Bobby
      >
      > On 8/29/05, james hurley <glassice03@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > i have lot of plans to try .and 150 g of fiberglass reisn and mat
      > > want to see what the smallest amount of h2o it will take grow algae
      > > so the ones that live where it get cold at night can drain in to a
      > > shelter tank then pump back to the ligh. I am going to try to go tall
      > > to grow so can go in back yards ok big ones.so how much oil a week i
      > > use 20 ga a week. 20 x8 pounds=160 if i can get40%oil from alage i
      > > need 160x 40%=352lb a week dose that sound righ thank you

      > > ------------------------------
      > >

      > --
      > Toward freedom,
      >
      > Bobby Yates Emory
    • Bobby Yates Emory
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 11 10:36 AM
        Bob.

        The company is Florida Aqua Farms.  They have it listed under 'LIVE CULTURES":

        https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/agora.cgi?cart_id=4120935.10097*ME0oU0&product=LIVE_CULTURES

        A weird URL, huh?  Or use:

        http://tinyurl.com/c9chk

        Bobby

        On 9/11/05, bob <fcsoft@...> wrote:
        Do you have a URL to the Florida Aqua algae dipstick?

        Thanks.

        bob

        Toward freedom,

        Bobby Yates Emory