Re: [oil_from_algae] Starting arthrospira platensis growth experiment

  • James A. Bowery
    Message 1 of 98 , Jul 1, 2005
      Good news: The 7gal river water culture is growing very well with a
      rich green color and microscopic examination doesn't show presence of
      other organisms.

      One thing of some interest observed during the microscopic examination:
      Several individuals had intertwined very much like a long rope.
    • James A. Bowery
      Message 98 of 98 , Oct 25, 2005
        I haven't written anything about the pool for a while since the
        temperatures have lowered to the point that growth is pretty much nil,
        even on sunny days.

        However, I have taken steps to enclose the pool:

        I placed a 2' high stand in the middle of the pool to sort of act as a
        "tent poll".
        At various places around the edges of the pool I pounded in some anchor
        nails.
        Between opposite anchor nails, running over the top of the center stand,
        I ran 10lb test nylon string brought to a low tension. There are 6 such
        strings crossing the center of the pool.
        I then placed a 10'*12', 6mil translucent plastic film over the pool
        with the corners cinched to the corner nails to draw the structure
        somewhat tight. However, I made it so these corner anchor points can be
        removed so I can get access to the pool when the need arises by
        disconnecting the corners of the film and rolling it back.

        The problem I have now is that there are air-gaps between the edges of
        the pool and the film. This allows too much warm air to escape and
        prevents the water temperature from rising appreciably.