Re: NASA Study Solves Ocean Plant Mystery

  • Andreas Buechel
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
      http://www.planktos.com/content/view/15/31/

      Planktos Bio-Remedial Carbon Credits: Low-Tech Genesis, High-Tech
      Verification

      As any glance at ocean carbon science will show, marine
      photosynthesis, productivity and CO2 absorption have fallen steeply in
      recent decades, largely from iron deficiency. With the spread of
      modern agriculture and silica sand desertification, the oceans now
      enjoy far fewer iron-rich dust storms from arid plains. The rapid fall
      off in the rain of this vital micro-nutrient has led to plankton
      droughts across thousands of blue water miles and the alarming drop in
      marine productivity.

      Reseeding a stretch of this sea with a single ton of fine iron
      particles generates dramatic blooms which can inhale thousands of tons
      of carbon. It can also nourish an equivalent tonnage of zooplankton,
      diatoms, and krill, replenishing the food chain from the bottom up for
      months at a time.

      A significant percentage of this bounty sinks to depths of one hundred
      meters or more in the form of dead organic matter that is captured in
      deep ocean currents or settles to the bottom as "marine snow." Now
      isolated from the atmosphere for centuries, this "lost" carbon not
      only nurtures benthic life, it becomes a negotiable commodity in
      today's global carbon credit bazaar.

      Long-term investment grade yields are quantified for certification
      with satellite mapping, deep water filter traps and spectrographic
      tracking buoys.

      Likewise the carbon credit value of CDM nation forest restoration
      projects can often be doubled or trebled with sound scientific
      management and long-term stakeholder contract guarantees. These
      so-called "joint forest management" projects not only restore
      indigenous woodlands, increase rainfall, and yield investment grade
      carbon credits, they also sustainably enrich local populations with
      generations of forest produce, recharged aquifers, maintenance jobs,
      and eco-tourism opportunities.
    • Tom Catino
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
        It is my firm belief that CO2 issues will become one of the major
        forces to spur future growth in the drive to commercialize the oil
        from algae process...Once the oil from algae process becomes
        mainstream in the world's business community & the technology
        becomes more widely known,the public interest & participation will
        grow expotentially espically if a economically viable process can be
        developed for the individual user.I have posted on "Big Picture" CO2
        issues to illustrate the need for big picture solutions involving
        algae's role in the solution.This should add encouragement to all
        involved in seeking oil from algae.

        Increasing amounts of fossil fuel emissions principally CO2 enter
        the atmosphere each day. The current global surplus of CO2 from
        carbon fuel burning is about 6 gigatonnes (billion tons) per year.
        To reduce greenhouse gases nations of the world agreed at the 1997
        Kyoto Conference on Global Warming (and subsequent international
        forums) that reductions in CO2 additions to the atmosphere must be
        sought via all methods. This mandate is now confirmed by
        governments, industries, and scientific agencies as they initiate
        early actions to meet this goal.

        this link leads to an excellent discussion of global climate change
        & the ocean carbon cycle...
        http://www.planktos.com/educational/carbon.htm
        the Planktos website is worth a visit & a good reading...
        thanks Andreas

        California will lead the way in the USA...

        --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Buechel" <eas34@...>