Starting message

  • Bobby Yates Emory
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
      I started this group to investigate the use of algae to "grow" oil.
      There is a government report that says it is feasible. Under the
      right conditions, algae will be 50% oil. If we can devise ways of
      collecting the algae, seperating the oil from the algae, and
      processing the oil so it will be usable, we can achieve several
      objectives. My personal goal is the free American foreign policy from
      having to secure our access to massive amounts of oil. Some people
      are worried about the PPM of CO2 in the air - the greenhouse effect.
      Some people would like to save money. Some people would like to help
      provide a method for poor people around the world to get their energy
      needs met in a local, sustainable manner.

      This group is for discussing the scienctific and practical problems
      and solutions of this idea, so please contribute. If you have another
      reason for wanting to get oil form algae, feel free to mention it.
      But don't expect others to agree with you. Each of us has our own
      motivation and none are wrong.

      Bobby
    • Bobby Yates Emory
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
        Quoting Bobby Yates Emory <liberty1@...>:

        > I started this group to investigate the use of algae to "grow" oil.
        > There is a government report that says it is feasible. Under the
        > right conditions, algae will be 50% oil. If we can devise ways of
        > collecting the algae, separating the oil from the algae, and
        > processing the oil so it will be usable, we can achieve several
        > objectives. My personal goal is to free American foreign policy from
        > having to secure our access to massive amounts of oil. Some people
        > are worried about the PPM of CO2 in the air - the greenhouse effect.
        > Some people would like to save money. Some people would like to help
        > provide a method for poor people around the world to get their energy
        > needs met in a local, sustainable manner.
        >
        > This group is for discussing the scientific and practical problems
        > connected to this idea and the solutions to them , so please
        > contribute. If you have another reason for wanting to get oil from
        > algae, feel free to mention it. But don't expect others to agree
        with > you. Each of us has our own motivation and none are wrong.

        > Bobby

        Toward Freedom,

        Bobby Yates Emory
      • buffingtongail
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 21, 2008
          Pleas let me know if you find a practical way of extracting the oil. I
          am trying to you it in cosmetics.
        • Bobby Yates Emory
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 21, 2008
            Gail,

            We have not selected the best way.

            If you are using it in cosmetics, you can probably afford to set up to use hexane - be careful, it is dangerous.

            Bobby

            --
            Toward freedom,

            Bobby Yates Emory
          • P Mac
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 22, 2008
              You can try it in a similar way to a terrestrial oil crop (i.e. olive) using the same or similar tools.

              In Spain, you can use a lot of "Almazaras" (oil extraction houses).

              Regards.

              2008/7/22, buffingtongail <buffingtongail@...>:

              Pleas let me know if you find a practical way of extracting the oil. I
              am trying to you it in cosmetics.

            • George Peters
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 22, 2008

                If the "best" way to get the last bit of oil out is with a seed press,

                It would be easy to mount one on a trailer and pass it around.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 22, 2008
                  George,

                  Seed presses only get about 85% of the oil on large seeds - many processors use hexane to get some more.  On algae so small you cannot see them with the naked eye, I am not convinced seed presses will work at all.

                  Do you know someone who has run a test?

                  Gail was talking about seaweed, so maybe it will work better for her.

                  Bobby

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 22, 2008

                    I keep seeing comments that after a process is used the

                    residue can be run through a press to get the rest of the oil.

                    I know of no test.