Re: [oil_from_algae] Re: Opinion Needed

  • Samuel Kale
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 28, 2006
      In order to get more out of this group of trail blazers, I was wondering if we should try to form teams and sub-teams.  There are different methods for setting up teams such as by geography area.  If we did a scan to see if we have groups of interested people that only live 1.5 hours away and then 3.0 hour away and then maybe 5 hours apart.  We could setup groups by one of several methods to find out our distribution by geography location such as: a grid, areas, states, zip code, area code, or countries.

      Another way we could divide up into teams is by topics like fresh water algae, salt water algae, algae to water separation, algae to oil separation, and algae oil to biodiesel processing.  I would think we could use Phyco.org to  setup some   type of grid /sub-grids location, identify different teams, type of teams, description of teams, short range plan, progress, etc.....

      If agreed upon the following example could be added to or modified to be added on Phyco.org.

      Example:

      Last Name, First name, Geo Area, State, Zip Code, Area Code, Country, 1st choice Topic, 2nd choice Topic

      Kale,Sam, East Coast USA, North Carolina, 28570, 252, USA, salt water algae, increase algae density

      This information could be put into a database, spreadsheet format, or just a simple table for Word.

      Now for the hard part.  Does anyone agree that this approach would be beneficial and aid in our journey.

      Message 31 of 31 , May 7 11:33 AM
        Well, Stephen, I hope you're happy. You've definitely shaken the
        woodwork of this list. Have you ever heard the expression, "the grass
        is greener on the other side of the fence?" Well, when you have to
        plant that sod on the other side, it doesn't look quite so green
        anymore. ;-)

        Mark and Steve, it's always great to see the community support this
        list is receiving. I would like to point out, however, that Phyco.org
        was created with Oil From Algae in mind from the very start. It is,
        without a doubt, the most relevant place to host a community
        independent of mainstream group services such as Google, Yahoo, and
        MSN, should Oil From Algae not prove satisfactory to its members.

        When I first created the framework for Phyco.org, using (the now
        ancient) MediaWiki 1.4 software, I had also installed a phpBB forum.
        I quickly deleted it, thinking that the wiki software, with its
        discussion pages, along with Oil From Algae's excellent community,
        would be more than sufficient to satisfy our needs. Was my thinking
        incorrect? Perhaps the best way to find out is to do some
        experimentation.

        I have put together some software to see what we can do. This is just
        an experimental setup, so feel free to take it and break it.
        This is the phpBB software, if you're unfamiliar with it: http://
        www.phpbb.com/
        This is the modification I have added: http://www.mail2forum.com/
        This is where I have installed both: http://www.phyco.org/beta/
        This is the list I used to test the M2F software modification: http://
        groups.yahoo.com/group/phyco-org_beta/

        This setup has the potential to be very powerful, but I would have to
        invest a great deal of time in configuring everything to the tee. As
        you can see, it works (more or less) right out of the box, but it has
        many, many small details that can be tweaked to perfection. As for
        phpBB, there are ways to integrate this software into MediaWiki, both
        functionally and visually, that also make this software attractive. I
        could even go further to add an archive of all the messages on this
        list to the forum for future reference. The best part is that the
        software ties everything together between the forum and the mailing
        list; what goes in on the forum, goes onto the list, and what goes on
        the list goes onto the forum.

        Now, my question to all of my fellow listmates here, is this: Do you
        think it would be beneficial to our group to go with this setup? I
        don't see how it could do much harm; the only thing is that it would
        take quite a bit of my time, but I don't want my work to be in vain.

        - Alex