Re: [oil_from_algae] Re: 4 Things to Get Right with Screw Expeller Press

  • Ron Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2012
      --- On Sat, 12/29/12, jim.richards65 <jim.richards65@...> wrote:

      From: jim.richards65 <jim.richards65@...>
      Subject: [oil_from_algae] Re: 4 Things to Get Right with Screw Expeller Press
      To: oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 8:08 AM

      Jim,

      >>Great set of post!

           Thank you for the kind words.

      >>Do you have a sense of what temperature is being produced 200F, 300F
      >>or what?

           Yes, it wpuld have to be over the boiling point of water.  So we are looking at 212, Fahrenheit, at least.  The pressure required to produce this temperature must be in the thousands of pounds per square inch.

      >>I've always disliked the notion of pressing oil with a small press using an >>open flame, seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
           Well, I never had a problem, even with an open flame.   Farmers use screw expeller presses all the time without incident.  Of course,  they usually don't use an open flame for pre-heating, either.  My limited experience with algae oil tells me that it burns very well, but not so well that you need fear explosions.  To give some perspective, I think concentrated isopropyl alcohol is much more of a fire hazard than algae oil.  Still, I found the kerosene lamp approach to be unreliable.
      >>I'm also interested in its potential for automation, do you think these >>small presses could be powered with a small motor/engine >>understanding the rpm constraint?

           Motorizing one of thes small presses is a trivial matter:  If you use a 1/3 horsepower dual-speed swamp cooler motor (set to run at 1,000 rpm, a 1" pulley on the motor connected by a v-belt to a 16" pulley on the shaft of the press should give you close to 60 rpm.  That's essentially the same setup that I used to power my paddlewheel--except that I can no longer find 1" pulleys, and the biggest I have been able to find is 14", yet it rotates at _about_ 60 rpm.

           You have put your finger on a problem:  The screw expeller procress is a continuous process, while weighing the dried algae so we can get the moisture right is a batch process.  I think that automation might be possible, but fear that nothing will be  better than an experienced operator controlling it.  This is not insurmountable, but it is bothersome.

      >>What's the cleanup procedure, I assume they what all of that's is going
      >>into the press, completely run through the press and them cleaned
      >>between uses, is the cleaning procedure something that could be done >>while the press is still together (automated) or do you take the press
      >>apart?

           All I have ever done is to take it apart and clean all the parts.  There are only seven parts, unless you count the kerosene lamp.  Cleaning it while it is in operation doesn't seem possible.

      ---rsb
      Ron Brown
      29DEC2012
    • jim.richards65
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 30, 2012
        Ron,

        What I was thinking with the automated wash, was to complete the pressing of all algae in the press, then without shutting down the drive motor, turn on a high pressure, pressure or steam cleaner with the nozzle pointed right down the hopper.

        Curbie

        --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Ron Brown <potrzebie44@...> wrote:

> [...]
      • Ron Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 31, 2012
          >>What I was thinking with the automated wash, was to complete the >>pressing of all algae in the press, then without shutting down the drive >>motor, turn on a high pressure, pressure or steam cleaner with the nozzle >>pointed right down the hopper.

          Interesting thougt!  That might work.  It's certainly worth a try.  One possible problem:  There is a thrust washer inside that needs to be lubricated.  Won't the pressure wash or steam remove the lubricant from this washer?

          ---rsb
          Ron Brown
          31DEC2012
        • jim.richards65
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
            Ron,

            >One possible problem: There is a thrust washer inside that needs to be lubricated. Won't the pressure wash or steam remove the lubricant from this washer?

            I would think so.

            Curbie

          • Ron Brown
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
              >>One possible problem: There is a thrust washer inside that needs to be >>lubricated. Won't the pressure wash or steam remove the lubricant from >>this washer?

              >>>I would think so.
                   Oh well, it's no great hardship totake it apart and re-assemnle it.  Only takes a couple minutes.

              ---rsb
              Ron Brown
              2JAN2013