Re: 4 Things to Get Right with Screw Expeller Press

  • jim.richards65
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 29, 2012
      Ron,

      Great set of post!
      Do you have a sense of what temperature is being produced 200F, 300F or what? I've always disliked the notion of pressing oil with a small press using an open flame, seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

      I'm also interested in its potential for automation, do you think these small presses could be powered with a small motor/engine understanding the rpm constraint? What's the cleanup procedure, I assume they what all of that's is going into the press, completely run through the press and them cleaned between uses, is the cleaning procedure something that could be done while the press is still together (automated) or do you take the press apart?

      Thanks,

      Curbie

      --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Ron Brown <potrzebie44@...> wrote:

      > (Item 3 of 4  --  Preheat)
      >
      > Hello All,
      >
      >      Both of these presses were designed to use a small oil lamp for pre-heating.  A bottle was to be filled with kerosene, and it was to be held in place with a rubber band.  The wick was in the cap of the bottle.  There was a sort of chimney above where it was supposed to be, that directed some of the heat towards the end of the barrel.
      >
      >      This system never really worked too well, for  me.  The rubber band would fail to hold the bottle, or the wind would blow out the fire.  One thing or another made this work poorly.  In order to maintain the temperature between 80 and 120 degrees Fahrenheit, perhaps an adjustable hotplate, (or maybe an iron) could be installed.  Some small farmes have equipped their Chinese Expeller Presses with a light bulb to accpomplish this.
      >
      >      Keeping the temperature up could only help.
      >
      > (To be continued)
      >

      > ---rsb
      > Ron Brown
      > 27DEC2012

    • Ron Brown
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2012
        >>Do you have a sense of what temperature is being produced 200F, 300F
        >>or what?

             Yes, it wpuld have to be over the boiling point of water.  So we are looking at 212, Fahrenheit, at least.  The pressure required to produce this temperature must be in the thousands of pounds per square inch.

        >>I've always disliked the notion of pressing oil with a small press using an >>open flame, seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
             Well, I never had a problem, even with an open flame.   Farmers use screw expeller presses all the time without incident.  Of course,  they usually don't use an open flame for pre-heating, either.  My limited experience with algae oil tells me that it burns very well, but not so well that you need fear explosions.  To give some perspective, I think concentrated isopropyl alcohol is much more of a fire hazard than algae oil.  Still, I found the kerosene lamp approach to be unreliable.
        >>I'm also interested in its potential for automation, do you think these >>small presses could be powered with a small motor/engine >>understanding the rpm constraint?

             Motorizing one of thes small presses is a trivial matter:  If you use a 1/3 horsepower dual-speed swamp cooler motor (set to run at 1,000 rpm, a 1" pulley on the motor connected by a v-belt to a 16" pulley on the shaft of the press should give you close to 60 rpm.  That's essentially the same setup that I used to power my paddlewheel--except that I can no longer find 1" pulleys, and the biggest I have been able to find is 14", yet it rotates at _about_ 60 rpm.

             You have put your finger on a problem:  The screw expeller procress is a continuous process, while weighing the dried algae so we can get the moisture right is a batch process.  I think that automation might be possible, but fear that nothing will be  better than an experienced operator controlling it.  This is not insurmountable, but it is bothersome.

        >>What's the cleanup procedure, I assume they what all of that's is going
        >>into the press, completely run through the press and them cleaned
        >>between uses, is the cleaning procedure something that could be done >>while the press is still together (automated) or do you take the press
        >>apart?

             All I have ever done is to take it apart and clean all the parts.  There are only seven parts, unless you count the kerosene lamp.  Cleaning it while it is in operation doesn't seem possible.

        ---rsb
        Ron Brown
        29DEC2012
      • jim.richards65
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 30, 2012
          Ron,

          What I was thinking with the automated wash, was to complete the pressing of all algae in the press, then without shutting down the drive motor, turn on a high pressure, pressure or steam cleaner with the nozzle pointed right down the hopper.

          Curbie

        • Ron Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 31, 2012
            >>What I was thinking with the automated wash, was to complete the >>pressing of all algae in the press, then without shutting down the drive >>motor, turn on a high pressure, pressure or steam cleaner with the nozzle >>pointed right down the hopper.

            Interesting thougt!  That might work.  It's certainly worth a try.  One possible problem:  There is a thrust washer inside that needs to be lubricated.  Won't the pressure wash or steam remove the lubricant from this washer?

            ---rsb
            Ron Brown
            31DEC2012
          • jim.richards65
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
              Ron,

              >One possible problem: There is a thrust washer inside that needs to be lubricated. Won't the pressure wash or steam remove the lubricant from this washer?

              I would think so.

              Curbie

            • Ron Brown
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2013
                >>One possible problem: There is a thrust washer inside that needs to be >>lubricated. Won't the pressure wash or steam remove the lubricant from >>this washer?

                >>>I would think so.
                     Oh well, it's no great hardship totake it apart and re-assemnle it.  Only takes a couple minutes.

                ---rsb
                Ron Brown
                2JAN2013